Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting old before my time... (Read 72 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Getting old before my time...
08/07/13 at 09:30:40

No really, I guess I should not have picked the name old_rider at my measly 54yrs. I found out from my doc appt. yesterday, that I have the bone density of a 80+yr old female. Holy crap! she says the chemo and or radiations probably contributed greatly to my bone density loss. Put me on a Calcium and Vitamin D supplement (2X day) and something called Alendronate (once a week), for the next 3yrs! then another density test, crap....gettin' older DOES suck!

Suggestions were from "don't lift anything over 15lbs" to "stop doing anything that could cause a bone to break", yeah right! like i'm gonna listen to that!

So ..... i'm selling the Harley for sure....and the wifes Honda 250... might in the future sell the ninja (probably not tho) and if I can talk James (the guy with his moms savage) out of the savage, i'll probably bobber it and make it lightweight as possible.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Getting old before my time...
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 09:42:45

Old Rider.....sorry to hear about that frustrating report.  My wife is having bone denisty issues and she is terrified as her grandmother had osteoporiosis badly and had to stop moving around much.  My wife is taking something called Strontium and is going to Yoga, Strength Training, and Pilates to try and keep what bone mass she can.

I got a chance to ride my cousins new Ninja 300 last Saturday.  It was nice, and a huge change from my Savage Cafe' conversion.  His Ninja was quiet, pulled the bike smoothly to umpteen thousand rpm's, and the initial steering input was far lighter than my bike.  The Ninja ride seemed a bit choppier, and it was funny how the Savage has made me torque spoiled......the little Ninja just didn't have the grunt I have come to know and love.  The Ninja was however a much more user friendly bike and I enjoyed my short ride on it.

Dave    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 09:55:39

Yup, forgot to mention it was Osteoporosis, very rare for a 50yr old woman and super rare for a 50yr old male. Doc is setting up a physical therapy appointment to get me started on some kind of program. I was also told that since my fracture was a compression fracture of the spine that I will more than likely in the next 2yrs have another one if I lift anything heavy, so re-entering the workforce is going to be challenging for me.

I have found with the ninja 300, 2nd gear take-offs and 11k shifting makes up for the torque loss. It is really low geared tho, because its a small engine I suppose. But I smile every time I ride it, it's just too fun!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/07/13 at 10:38:11

old_rider wrote on 08/07/13 at 09:55:39:
I have found with the ninja 300, 2nd gear take-offs and 11k shifting makes up for the torque loss. It is really low geared tho, because its a small engine I suppose. But I smile every time I ride it, it's just too fun!

My cousin tends to get bored with stuff pretty quickly and knows how to push my uncles buttons.  It may not take long for him to get bored with it and want to move up to a 1,000 cc Kamikaze sportbike.  Maybe I can be the first in line for the hand-me-down Ninja 300!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/07/13 at 13:40:52

The body has a magnesium/calcium ratio that makes it happy. Mag helps muscles relax, calcium helps them contract. Heart attack? First thing they do is hang an IV with magnesium in it,, IMO, taking calcium & not taking magnesium is begging for a heart attack,, IF you ever get a cramp in a muscle, thats a hint.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/07/13 at 13:54:17

My ex-boss was tiny woman,.. (about 90lbs).. and she would insist on carrying her fair share of equipment, because she said load bearing would ward off early bone loss and ostio...
...Shot my chivalry in the butt... Grin...

Take care Ol'rider... seems like they're steering you away from load bearing activity... sorry to hear...
Beyond 50,.. we all just try to hang on to as much strength and vigor as we can...  
On the other hand,... if you haven't worn yourself to frazzle by the time you die,... it seems like you wasted some of your gift...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 08/07/13 at 15:13:04

Serowbot wrote on 08/07/13 at 13:54:17:
Beyond 50,.. we all just try to hang on to as much strength and vigor as we can...  
On the other hand,... if you haven't worn yourself to frazzle by the time you die,... it seems like you wasted some of your gift...
Huh...

LOL, well, my adopted granpa used to say work hard till you are 80 and then sit back and relax for your last 20 yrs, he lived to be 101.

I guess I worked a little too hard, when I was in the service and about 39yrs old I injured my back and the doctor told me at that time, I had already developed arthritis. He told me by the time I was an older person I would loose the cartlidge between my joints to the point that the bones would rub...i'm not looking forward to that either and was taking nutrients to attempt to build up that "liquid" in the joints.

I did question the use of 1000mg of calcium and 400mg of Vitamin D a day would cause an increased chance of heart attack, she said NO.... I kinda doubt that, but she's the doc (bout 25yrs my junior), I'll ask my oncology (cancer) doctor next month, see what he says.

Anyway, I didn't let my last hurdle slow me down...so this one isn't going to get me either.... I have gotten used to hitting the curve balls life has sent at me, i'll handle this one also.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 08/07/13 at 15:25:38

Dave wrote on 08/07/13 at 10:38:11:
old_rider wrote on 08/07/13 at 09:55:39:

My cousin tends to get bored with stuff pretty quickly and knows how to push my uncles buttons.  It may not take long for him to get bored with it and want to move up to a 1,000 cc Kamikaze sportbike.  Maybe I can be the first in line for the hand-me-down Ninja 300!

Sounds good dave! I set my ninja up for a long distance ride to the dragon in may, I managed about 62-65mpg at 70mph on the slab and I'm not sure what mpg on the back roads, I was too busy having fun and lookin' at all the scenery.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 08/07/13 at 15:38:53

Well, trailer the Harley up for the September get together, drop it off, take the project Savage home. Easy... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/07/13 at 15:50:50

Magnesium is in bones, too,, doctors are taught nothing about nutrition,

http://www.enerex.ca/en/articles/calcium-to-magnesium-ratio

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 08/07/13 at 20:19:19

WD wrote on 08/07/13 at 15:38:53:
Well, trailer the Harley up for the September get together, drop it off, take the project Savage home. Easy... Roll Eyes

LOL! I'm not trailering anything just yet....and from the sound of your WD in sept. thread your savage might be running in a couple of days! I'd sure like to contribute, but i'm a newb at it, and can turn a wrench with the best of'm, tell me what to take off , put back, clean, paint or hold onto and I can most likely do it.

ROFL my wife laughed at me the other day when I bought a "minion" T-shirt the other day, she said "your not a minion, you've always been the guy in control", I told her its always been my dream just to follow someone who knows what to do and I don't have to worry about the outcome, just contribute to the cause. I'd have been one hell of a marine.... just point me in the direction and tell me what needs done...

Maybe that's why all my close friends are marines...hmmmm or special ops.... oh, and I like larry's saying..."gitter done!" Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:33:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Getting old before my time...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.