Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery Tender options? (Read 135 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Battery Tender options?
08/07/13 at 08:41:12

Just wondering if many of you use battery tenders.  After this ordeal of leaving the parking light on my bike, I think I'll invest in one if you all think its worth it.

Now, if you are using it, what type are you using?  And do you just leave the battery in the bike and attach the tender?

I'm thinking these -

http://www.jpcycles.com/2007-suzuki-s40-boulevard-s40k6/battery-chargers

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Battery Tender options?
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 08:56:49

Just about any quality tender will work fine.....I would not trust the $ 6.00 ones from Harbor Freight.

Battery tenders are used when the bike will be sitting for an extended period.......like a month or more.  Conventional batteries do lose some power gradually over time, and the Tenders help with that along with offsetting the loss to clocks, sucurity systems, and things that take current even when the bike is parked.  The Savage does not have any of those things and the battery should not need a tender if you ride it once ever week or two.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 09:41:40

I use a slightly older version of this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Xciter-5-Stage-900mA-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B002MUY3KO

It has settings for 6 volt and 12 volt, and the new one lets you pick between "large battery" and "small agm."  It charges, and automatically senses when to switch to float/maintenance charge.  It will even tell you if your battery is fried. At $25, you can't beat the price!  I've used mine for years and it's never let me down.

Oh, AND it has the pigtail to attach to your bike, and the pigtail is fused! Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/07/13 at 10:40:49

The biggest fault w/ HF float chargers is the pukey little wires will break the insulation right at the exit & then the wires will touch & the "wall Wart" will get hot & droop,, could be a nice little firestarter.. I was happy that it didnt,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 08/18/13 at 20:43:08

Minority opinion here:

In general, I don't like the normal consumer-grade automatic battery tenders.  The main reason is that they can start acting up without me knowing it.  The built-in-test capabilities of this grade of tender are sorely lacking or absent altogether.

I have five motorcycles and here is how I keep the batteries going on them:

I've installed a "charging platform" on the ceiling of my garage:

Line current runs into a cheap timer (like those used to turn lights on and off). The timer is hooked up to four different $20 one amp battery chargers (bought at Auto Zone).  There IS one smart charger up there (my wife got it free with her Beemer (1992 R100RT) years ago); that one is connected to my Savage (my "daily rider").  The lines from the battery chargers drape down and are connected to my five bikes. The timer comes on for 10 minutes each night.

Advantages: The batteries are getting zapped each night. Ten minutes at one amp will definitely not overcharge any of the bikes' batteries. Probably(?) cheaper than five Battery Tenders. Most importantly, I can verify myself that the timer works and that each of the individual chargers are working correctly by just a few simple tests.

Works for me!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 08/19/13 at 06:00:54

Nice going Digger.
A very practical solution with the benefit of usable convenience.
Overhead and out of the way but easily assessable.
From the mind of someone accustomed to working in 0-gravity work places, where anything can be located virtually anywhere.  Smiley

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 08/19/13 at 13:05:01

I use a Deltran battery tender.http://batterytender.com/

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 08/19/13 at 17:05:28

I use a Schumacher from WalMart. About $20. It comes with a pigtail I put on the battery permanently. It rides nicely on the top of my right side cover and slides out when I need it. Also has a pigtail with clamps for occasional use on things like riding mowers.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
zoombass1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/20/13 at 02:59:23

I have both the first two from jp's work great for both my bikes!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Tender options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.