New Muffler Problem (Read 572 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: New Muffler Problem
Reply #30 - 08/14/13 at 10:15:10

Danjray before getting a different muffler just try the freeze plug mod.  I just got a 1 1/4" high walled freeze plug from a local auto supply shop and used a piece of pipe to tap it into place seated against the welds of the original wall that was cut out from the inlet side.  I've put around 1K miles on since with no issues at all. Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #31 - 08/14/13 at 10:15:47

Who said I wasn't riding with my current exhaust  Wink

And yeah I know it'll be a time investment, but I do enjoy a bit of a challenge, plus the satisfaction out of DIY projects

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 08/14/13 at 10:22:52

Before you go drilling holes in pipe......look at the stuff this company has to offer.  They have lots of baffles and perforated pipes at good prices.

http://www.coneeng.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 08/14/13 at 13:43:29

danjray wrote on 08/14/13 at 06:24:39:
how hard would it be to get the three "baffles" (washers) in there? I don't have a drag pipe, it's a muffler with the baffles removed, or are you saying start from scratch with a drag pipe?

Yeah.  Build it from scratch.  Cheap and quick if you can weld cheap steel.  The three "baffles" would be welded to the inner pipe, and made to just fit inside the outer pipe as you slid the inner one in for final assembly of the drag pipe muffler.

This idea wasn't aimed at your situation primarily, though, unless you like to fabricate simple stuff.  A lot of us do.

This idea was a solution offered to a guy that wanted a nice long drag pipe that didn't have much back pressure and not too much noise.

If you want to get your situation solved nice and quick with few headaches, use the harly muffler.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #34 - 08/19/13 at 16:42:03

Not to hijack the original post but just have to vent a little -

So took my bike to a local shop to get the muffler (HD 65747-94) put on.  While it was in there I had them replace the battery since it was completely dead.  Also had them re-jet it.  

So I got a call saying it's ready.  They put it on a dyno to re-jet it (not sure if it was necessary) but I expected it to cost a good penny since it's going on dyno.

They charged me $1031.. (not $103.1 but one THOUSAND).. said the muffler was not direct fit and it was bigger than the stock pipe.  Had to find a new gasket and squeeze the new muffler a bit to prevent leak.

My question to you all mechanically savvy guys.. was that good or bad price?  And was dyno really necessary?

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #35 - 08/19/13 at 17:33:16

I wouldn't have paid that, I had a welding shop make a sleeve and it only cost me $20.00 and my Dyno is the interstate.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #36 - 08/20/13 at 06:50:43

ylwf3vr wrote on 08/19/13 at 16:42:03:
They charged me $1031.. (not $103.1 but one THOUSAND).. said the muffler was not direct fit and it was bigger than the stock pipe.  

Holy nuts... and I thought I overpaid when I bought my muffler for $40 shipped...  Undecided

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/20/13 at 07:45:09

ylwf3vr wrote on 08/19/13 at 16:42:03:
They charged me $1031.. (not $103.1 but one THOUSAND).. said the muffler was not direct fit and it was bigger than the stock pipe.  Had to find a new gasket and squeeze the new muffler a bit to prevent leak.

My question to you all mechanically savvy guys.. was that good or bad price?  And was dyno really necessary?

Bad price you paid out the ARSE!  I would call back complain and let them know that you are going to file a complaint with the BBB   Angry

You already had the replacement muffler correct?
If so even at an elevated retail price I would think-
* New Battery $69
* Jets $25
* Cost to make a gasket and adapter for the muffler/header to fit properly $100
* If they have never worked on an LS650 and fumbled around a bit 3 hours work for a professional mechanic @ $80/hr - $240

Total $434.....ok lets add another hour of labor and make it $514

AN ADDITIONAL $500 for DYNO!!!!!???????  It's a bike not a NSACAR Stock Car!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 08/20/13 at 07:59:23

Well.......If you pay someone else to work on your bike, it is expensive.

Mounting the mffler and screwing around with the fact that the DYNA is not a direct fit, and the need to adapt a gasket and modify stuff would probably take an hour or two to get right if you have not done one before.......so that was probaly $ 150 or so.

Jetting my carb to run correctly took me about 5 jet changes to get right, and I imagine that I spent close to 4 hours working on that.  Making changes to the main and pilot jets got simple once I installed the allen head bolts on the float bowl - but twice I had to change the needle setting and that requires far more labor.  I don't think that $ 500 is excessive for a dyno tuning process........it takes time to set things up and work on the carb.

This thread should make it evident that learning how to do this yourself does save you a lot of money.  Dealers have to charge for their equipment, their overhead, their employees salaries and Obamacare....and some profit if they are going to survive.  Some of their time may have been spent learning how to adapt a DYNA muffler to a Savage......but time is money and you were paying them to do this for you.

Yep $ 1,000 is a hard pill to swallow for what was done.  With the information that is on this site about the muffler and jetting, and an afternoon of work you probably cold have gotten by with $ 60 worth of parts......but only if you have the mechanical skills it takes to do the work yourself.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #39 - 08/20/13 at 08:22:11

Anytime I ever take something in I always make them call me with the cost before they do any work.  If you didn't do this and they did the work and you don't pay they could put a lien on your bike and sell it to recoup their costs.

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #40 - 08/20/13 at 08:36:34

Well said - if you can do it I would do everything myself. I ask for an estimate and it came out to be about $700.. But that was before the muffler wouldn't fit directly report.

Oh well I guess I'll just go ahead and enjoy riding it.  Tongue crazy I spent 1/2 of what I paid for the bike at the shop

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #41 - 08/20/13 at 08:43:20

Before we get to excited over this cost I have to ask is this American dollars?  It doesn't say where you are located at and this site has people from all over the world on it, for all I know this could be $1000.00 Pecos.

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #42 - 08/20/13 at 08:47:18

Oh and I got my new petcock in.. definitly doing it myself!  Angry

But the cam chain adjuster.... don't think I can do that one... how much you guys figure a shop will charge for that???

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #43 - 08/20/13 at 08:47:37

PhantomII wrote on 08/20/13 at 08:43:20:
Before we get to excited over this cost I have to ask is this American dollars?  It doesn't say where you are located at and this site has people from all over the world on it, for all I know this could be $1000.00 Pecos.

Yep... good ol USD

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #44 - 08/20/13 at 20:24:33

Got the invoice...

Battery - 99.95
Labor for everything (oil/battery/filter:muffler) - 212.50