Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New Muffler Problem
Reply #15 - 08/09/13 at 05:51:43

My experience with jetting showed that a #50 pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers in place of the white spacer worked best with the stock air cleaner and a DYNA.  I did have a Wiseco 95mm and a Stage 1 cam with the set up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #16 - 08/09/13 at 05:52:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/13 at 05:45:57:
You said it idles good, try leaving the pilot & doing the main & washers..
But, Im not Serow,, if he ( heck if Anyone) says anything else, do what they say,,

It at least WAS idling fine... the first night I took it out it had no problems, but yesterday after getting off of the highway it petered out on me twice while waiting for lights to change.... I had to keep giving it some gas to keep it from dying. I then parked, it sat for about 2 minutes before I showed it to a guy who owned a savage years back, and when I fired it up, it idled fine again... any idea what that means? Cause it kinda had me at a loss...

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Nailz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/09/13 at 15:18:25

To add to the confusion:

I have a Dyna muffler with two 3/8" holes drilled in the baffle plug.  I am running a 55 pilot and a 150 main.  Two washers with the white spacer removed.  About 1.25 turns out on the mixture screw.  Raptor petcock if that makes any difference.  Stock air filter.  

This is my wife's bike.  We just went on a 50 mile two lane road ride (speeds from 25MPH to 55MPH - lots of stops and starts) and she said she heard two backfires.  The bike runs great and it is not real loud, but sounds better than stock.

It's a 2008 model.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 08/11/13 at 05:55:55

Dave's correct about the loud pipes.  They do NOT save lives, and only piss off folks, doing damage to our public image.  They DO create tuning problems.

We have at least a couple "loud pipe wars" threads where this was all hashed out hundreds of times.  Some guys like to be noisy, even when they know it pisses everyone (driving, riding, walking, sitting) off, and even when they know it causes them a lot of work to get the bike jetted properly.  Other guys go for less hassle,... less hassle for themselves, and less of a hassling relationship with the public.

I agree, the stock system is nice and quiet,... too quiet, weighs a ton, and is ugly.  Replacing it with something that has less backpressure (but at least SOME backpressure) and an exhaust tone that is a little more manly (but not distractingly loud), is a good thing.  But still, you have several hours of tuning issues to handle.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #19 - 08/13/13 at 08:37:53

I won't get into the war in RSD, I haven't found the war threads yet but I'll look them up after this. I will admit it is a bit louder than I'd really like, and I am definitely finding the tuning issues to be a load of fun... I think I'll play with it a bit longer before I scrap it and get something with a bit of a baffle.

I don't know if there has been a thread on back pressure, but I have wondered for a while, why is it required for the engine to work properly? I've heard from countless people that it is required, but never heard why, just that it is required... I'm going to do a search for this as well after posting this, but if anyone has a good description to point me toward I'd appreciate it!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/13/13 at 09:14:37

danjray wrote on 08/13/13 at 08:37:53:
I don't know if there has been a thread on back pressure, but I have wondered for a while, why is it required for the engine to work properly? I've heard from countless people that it is required, but never heard why, just that it is required... I'm going to do a search for this as well after posting this, but if anyone has a good description to point me toward I'd appreciate it!

Did you watch this YouTube video?  It explains the problems with an unrestricted exhaust and how the uncontrolled pressure pulses rob you of horsepower.  The baffles dampen out these pulses and help the engine make more consistent horsepower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 08/13/13 at 09:38:23

If a pipe doesn't have enough backpressure,.. the only way to stop backfires is to jet it so rich that it's choking on unspent fuel...
This will run like cr@p,.. and give horrible MPG...
Thta's because you're trying to fix a bad exhaust by tuning your carb...

Your carb should be tuned for performance, not backfires...
They are not related...

Fix the problem by putting on a good muffler,... then jet for performance... and the backfires will take care of themselves...
A well jetted Savage should deliver 55 to 65mpg, (normal riding, steady 45 to 60mph)... and have smooth power from idle to redline...
Pilot jet makes a big difference to mpg's at steady cruise...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #22 - 08/13/13 at 09:39:15

Yes I did watch that video, and I do understand that the baffles act as a damper to the harmonic oscillations. Is it simply the back pressure which is doing the work behind the damping effect?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #23 - 08/13/13 at 09:45:44

And I am close to admitting defeat... I'll probably have one more foray of trying to tune it (yes I am hard headed, and I'll be the first to admit it), but I'm already searching for another muffler to replace it

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 08/13/13 at 09:48:32

danjray wrote on 08/13/13 at 09:39:15:
Is it simply the back pressure which is doing the work behind the damping effect?

Not entirely,... a good muffler smooths the engine pulses,.. allowing air to pass easily,... just stuffing something in the hole will make backpressure, but it may cause engine pulses to revert back up the pipe and fight with the next pulse... This can make your engine fight with itself to breath,... When pulses aren't flowing smooth,.. it can heat up yer' exhaust valves, and burn them...
Good mufflers are good for a reason...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #25 - 08/13/13 at 09:51:36

Quote:
Not entirely,... a good muffler smooths the engine pulses,.. allowing air to pass easily,... just stuffing something in the hole will make backpressure, but it may cause engine pulses to revert back up the pipe and fight with the next pulse... This can make your engine fight with itself to breath,... When pulses aren't flowing smooth,.. it can heat up yer' exhaust valves, and burn them...
Good mufflers are good for a reason...

Okay, okay... you guys have made you're point, I admit defeat, I'll go find another pipe  Undecided

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #26 - 08/14/13 at 05:00:12

Quote:
I'm assuming you still had to rejet, but to what size?

Nope no rejet, just the white spacer mod. I do have a 15" long intermediate pipe, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with not rejetting   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 08/14/13 at 05:57:41

Quote:
Okay, okay... you guys have made you're point, I admit defeat, I'll go find another pipe  Undecided

Maybe you could just build one.    

A 1 1/4" or 1" inner pipe will be a little quieter and provide a bit more back pressure, but will only restrict flow a little.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #28 - 08/14/13 at 06:24:39

how hard would it be to get the three "baffles" (washers) in there? I don't have a drag pipe, it's a muffler with the baffles removed, or are you saying start from scratch with a drag pipe?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/14/13 at 07:29:11

Dude,, slap a Dyna muffler on it & get to ridin that thing, Then, once youve got it jetted & running right, you can start hunting up the stuff to build a Gyro exhaust if that dont quite suit ya,, but youll be riding & not in a hurry to solve the problem. I think thats a good lookin exhaust Gyro has there, but , while cheap in cost of materials, it looks to have a substantial time investment. Having drilled holes in pipe before I have some idea,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 15:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Muffler Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.