Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New Muffler Problem (Read 572 times)
danjray

Connecticut
New Muffler Problem
08/07/13 at 08:01:22

So I found a cheap Dyna muffler on ebay, the reason it was cheap ($11) was because it was dinged up, and had no baffle in it. Because the stock one is so quiet I wanted to make sure I was loud enough to be heard (Loud pipes save lives!) so I decided to try it out, and if it became a flop, so be it, it was a cheap mistake.

So now to the problem... I attached it no problem last night using the guides on this site (Thank you to everyone who has posted guides, I couldn't have done it without you!). When I fired it up, it sounded beautiful!  Smiley but once I give it any amount of throttle it gets a nasty popping sound Sad Now I did not have a jet set handy so I am still running the stock jets until my jet set from Lancer comes in soon. (I was too excited to wait haha) Also I'm assuming I'm running rich because I get afterfires every time I take in the clutch if I don't simultaneously give it any throttle.

So now for my questions... Is this popping sound going to persist because I have no baffles or will jetting the carb fix it? (Also any suggestions as to which size to change to would be awesome!) If that won't fix the problem, is there anything I can do to get rid of the popping or should I simply scrap it and go with a baffled Dyna exhaust?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New Muffler Problem
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 09:09:57

I am not sure that "Loud Pipes Save Lives".....but I am certain that they tick off the neighbors, aggravate the general populations, and tend to make people hate motorcycles and those that ride them.  I have alwys been a fan of "Less Sound = More Ground" from my old dirt biking days.

Your bike is not running rich when it backfires after you close the throttle......it is running lean.  When you close the throttle it closes the fuel jets and the mixture becomes so lean the spark plug cannot ignite it....and it gets ignited by the hot exhaust header or the next power pulse from the engine where it is ignited by the spark plug.

You can get a freeze plug at the auto store (I believe it is 1" diameter), and drive it into the muffler between the front and rear holes where the original center baffle used to be.

Open or straight through exhaust are hard to get jetted right, and may make less power.
Serowbot has added this video to the Dyna Muffler thread in the Technical Section if this link doesn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 09:53:47

I mostly do highway riding, so my mentality has been that if you don't see me, and can't hear me, I'm invisible to you. So now at least if you can hear me you may notice me, but as far as the after fires that makes sense. I was either told differently or mis read before, I took after fires as  there was an excess of fuel in the muffler, due to running rich, which was lit by the hot muffler, but your explanation makes more logical sense (since the easier exhaust due to less restriction should mean more air going through the carb requiring more fuel). (I'm more thinking aloud now so that if my logic is off I'm hoping someone can fix it)

But I'll have to look into that freeze plug, because although I do think loud pipes are better, I also do know loud pipes piss people off and that is not my intention.

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/07/13 at 10:32:32

I used to think the same way you do about the mixture when you shut the throttle.  I assumed that when you chop the throttle and the vacuum increases dramitcally....that it would pull a lot of fuel through the jets.  What I failed to take into account was that the closed slide or butterfly puts the jets on the opposite side of the carb from the high vacuum, and the slide needle has dropped down and closed off the main jet.  When I was jetting my carb I installed an Oxygen Sensor and guage on my bike, and I was surprised to see the mixture go lean whenever the throttle was closed.  The TEV device on our carb is supposed to add fuel to prevent help reduce the backfire....and I suppose with the stock muffler it helps.  It is not up to the task of stopping backfires when we put on free flowing muflers.

The reason that I don't believe that loud pipes do much to keep you safe, is that in most cases they only hear you when you are passing them.  When you are approaching an intersection the sound is behind you and they really don't hear you coming....they hear you going.  On the highway when driving my cage, with the windows up and the air conditioning on and the radio playing, I can only hear the motorycle when it is right beside me......so I suppose that might keep me from changing lanes while you are beside me.

I do live about 2 miles from a major highway....and I can hear the loud pipes from bikes and semi trucks 24/7.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #4 - 08/07/13 at 11:48:57

I'll still take being heard beside you on the highway, for me that is one of the scariest parts while riding, being in someone's blind spot..

But not to cut back too quickly, would rejetting it (somewhat) properly reduce the popping effect I'm hearing? Because disregarding the backfires, it just simply sounds crappy right now when I get on the throttle, it is not an even sound, but like I said, it sounds like with each stroke it pops as the air leaves the exhaust. Just as a note, during idle it does sound good, just not when on the throttle

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/07/13 at 11:55:07

On my bike the engine ran very lean just off idle.  With a baffled DYNA muffler and a SuperTrapp my best jetting was a #50 pilot, #150 main and the needle installed with 2 metal washers on top of the needle instead of the white plastic spacer.  I tried a #52.5 pilot with the 3 washers and it did not correct the lean condition, and when I went to 2 washers I had to back the pilot down to a #50 for smoother running.

It sounds to me like your engine is too lean at the lower throttle settings where the pilot jet and needle jet control the fuel mixture.  This is the throttle position (1/4 or less) where most of your riding is done....unless you are over 50 mph and needing more than light throttle.

IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #6 - 08/07/13 at 12:48:27

Awesome, thank you for the input, once my jetset gets in I'll be toying around with it! I'm hoping it'll be here by the end of the week so I have the weekend to get it running properly. In the meantime could I do damage to the bike if I continue to ride it?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/07/13 at 13:49:44

What happens if ya pull the choke to 1/2? Full?

If you can richen it a bit & knock some KerPOW out of it, then its better for the motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #8 - 08/07/13 at 14:37:00

You should be OK until your jets come in

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #9 - 08/07/13 at 22:58:30

My 2005 was factory stock when I installed the Dyna Muffler.
When I fired it up it ran poorly and had the same nasty popping sounds
and afterfires that yours has, danjray.
So i pulled the brass plug, adjusted the screw for highest idle speed,
then turned the throttle stop screw to set the idle at 1100 RPM.
Those two adjustments made the bike ridable until the jets and spacer
were changed.
You'll need to pop the brass plug for tuning as part of your jet changes
so you might want to try that now while your waiting for them.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #10 - 08/08/13 at 05:03:12

Awesome, that's at least good to hear, I was afraid I was going to have to scrap the entire thing. Justin, I'll try out pulling the choke halfway tomorrow and see how that works! Thanks for the advice!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/08/13 at 10:48:52

Yea I got a Dyna that was open too, the freeze plug trick did the trick    Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #12 - 08/08/13 at 11:01:50

ToesNose wrote on 08/08/13 at 10:48:52:
Yea I got a Dyna that was open too, the freeze plug trick did the trick    Smiley

I'm assuming you still had to rejet, but to what size?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #13 - 08/09/13 at 05:38:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 13:49:44:
What happens if ya pull the choke to 1/2? Full?

If you can richen it a bit & knock some KerPOW out of it, then its better for the motor.

I tried this out yesterday, it helped quite a bit, luckily my jet set comes in tomorrow so I shouldn't need to limp along by this method much longer! I was wondering if there is any correlation to using 1/2 choke to what jet size I would need to go to. With the 1/2 choke I still had some popping and after firing but it was better, at this point I'm guessing I'll go up a half size in the pilot and a full size in the main and go to 2 washers (based on the carb posts I've been reading) does that seem like a reasonable place to start?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/09/13 at 05:45:57

You said it idles good, try leaving the pilot & doing the main & washers..
But, Im not Serow,, if he ( heck if Anyone) says anything else, do what they say,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 11:49:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Muffler Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.