Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Getting deeper into my starting problem (Read 488 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Getting deeper into my starting problem
Reply #45 - 09/30/13 at 08:07:37

The oil is half way up the site glass, so its good now. Thank goodness! lol. The oil doesnt smell like gas, and I had a lot of it to smell. My buddy wanted to set the idle to the "thumping of a Harley" but I told him that wasnt right. He wants it to be cool, not right lol. It seems to be a little high right now but ill go out and mess with it a bit more today if I can

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #46 - 09/30/13 at 15:46:10

Better a little high on the idle than too low.  A little extra oil pressure in the head won't hurt a thing. Lack of pressure sure will.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #47 - 10/04/13 at 12:09:41

Eureka! ... kinda. I took it out today to ride around my apt complex, to get a feel for things and see how its riding. As I said before the idle seemed to be a little high but a few people have told me thats ok, better high than low. Well when I get it out of the garage, into gear, and get out of the friction zone and give it a little throttle, it starts to bog down. Bog down as in I roll on the throttle and it starts to die. I made it to a stop sign by my mailbox and it completely died, and I couldnt get it started again. So I pushed it back to the garage, not a big deal, I needed the exercise anyways lol.

Now the conditions are a bit cold here in Colorado today, and my battery was left in the bike for a few days. I took it out and put it on the trickle while I was out getting parts (to wire up my tail light), but that was only for about an hour. It was hard to start, and I had to use some starter fluid, but I think thats because of my battery not being fully charged. I cant seem to stabilize my idle either, some times its really high, sometimes it really low.

Does this sound like a problem anybody else has run into before?

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #48 - 10/04/13 at 12:29:55

One other thing I wanted to ask about: Im sick of having to take my seat off every time I want to charge my battery. Can I put some kind of pigtail on the terminals to clamp the charger onto? I have some extra 18 guage wire, is this to small of a wire or will that work? And if I do put pigtails on them, will they mess anything up by being touched by anything while riding? Its only a trickle charger so I wouldnt think I would need a very thick wire. Thanks!!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #49 - 10/04/13 at 13:13:27

Many battery tenders come with installable pigtails.  They are intended to be left connected to the battery.  You just pull the cord and away you go.

To just leave some wire hanging, I'm not so sure about.  If the + hits anything grounded you're possibly going to have a wire melt-down situation with no fusing to stop the melt.  Might start a fire, might just burn into two pieces, might melt through the side of your battery, might just spark and bounce off.  You'll need a way to thoroughly insulate the + wire when not connected to the charger.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #50 - 10/04/13 at 20:59:45

Something like this charger will work, it has the added wiring to use that will allow you to put a plug in type cable on your battery so you won't have to take the seat off every time.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/re...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:42:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting deeper into my starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.