Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Getting deeper into my starting problem (Read 488 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Getting deeper into my starting problem
Reply #30 - 09/11/13 at 09:32:18

Shouldn't be that difficult to shift with sneakers, unless they are really thin, I could see it might hurt a tender foot.  I hope you mean its just uncomfortable, not that its actually hard to shift.  I've found while sitting still, it can be harder to shift, but if you rock it back and forth a little, it will be easier.  But be careful with steel toed work shoes.  You don't want to be stomping the shifter or jerking it too hard.  Hard-shifting could be a different issue, which hopefully the pros will comment on.      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 09/11/13 at 09:49:11

A few things I noticed this morning: I couldnt get it to kick over unless I used a little starter fluid, and it idled pretty rough this morning.

I turned the idle screw in a few more times, but it still was a bit rough. I read that having to use starter fluid is because of a weak electrical system, now I have only had the bike idle, not out running on the road, could this have drained my battery and thats why i needed the starter fluid?

I also think i found the brass plug for the mixture screw, I just need a drill and screw to get it out. Could the mixture be whats making it idle rough?

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #32 - 09/11/13 at 10:06:44

My shoes are just very thin, I just meant I need a stiffer boot.

Destroyed head? I thought that never happened with these bikes? Should I be worried that I messed up something?

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 09/11/13 at 11:31:53

Losing a head gasket,, VeryRare.

Ruining the head from low oil  pressure? Not rare enough.
No need to worry now, keep the idle at 1,000 or  more,
If its not running good, goose it up,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #34 - 09/12/13 at 07:46:13

I dont have a tach, so how do I tell when Im at 1,000rpm?

What do I do about the oil pressure?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 09/12/13 at 07:48:25

Crich422 wrote on 09/12/13 at 07:46:13:
I dont have a tach, so how do I tell when Im at 1,000rpm?

What do I do about the oil pressure?

If you could ride your bike.....you set the idle speed so that in first gear on level ground you are going about 9 mph in first gear.

Since it seems your bike is not yet rideable.....go to YouTube and search 500 beat per minute metronome......and adjust your idle so that you bike sounds like that.

Your oil pressure will take care of itself once you have the idle set correctly....and you actually start riding your bike.  Starting and idling your bike without riding it is not all that good on the engine....it needs to be ridden!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #36 - 09/12/13 at 08:33:06

Quote:
I also think i found the brass plug for the mixture screw, I just need a drill and screw to get it out. Could the mixture be whats making it idle rough?

Just my two cents:

I wouldn't fool with the idle mix screw yet. I think it's unlikely that that is your problem. The factory setting may not be optimal, but it's close enough that most bikes run OK without tampering with it.

Get everything else sorted and put a few miles on the bike before you start trying to fine tune things. Do the simple stuff first - make sure your battery is up to snuff, and maybe try a NEW spark plug if you haven't already done that. Double check the rubber connector between the head and the carb. Make sure it's tight, not cracked etc.

Drilling out the brass plug over the idle mix screw is not really a big deal, but it's not trivial either. It's possible to screw it up and cause yourself more headaches.

As far as the idle speed goes - you can't really hurt anything by getting it a little bit too high, as long as you don't go crazy, so don't be afraid to turn it up high enough so that the bike will at least stay running.

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #37 - 09/17/13 at 06:33:38

Ok, I tried to check my oil level but I cant see anything through the glass. I know youre supposed to have oil half way up the glass, but I cant tell if its not up to the glass or if it is over the glass. Any tips to help?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 09/17/13 at 07:14:11

Yea,, if its Over the glass you should be able to see a line on the stand. Let it sit, normally, & look.,
Or, if its Low, lean it to you some & see if a line shows on the glas,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #39 - 09/18/13 at 04:15:12

If the sight glass is completely black, it is most likely too full.  There is a silver backing behind the glass to make it easier to see the level. If it's completely silver (metal) behind the glass, there's no oil up that high.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #40 - 09/18/13 at 07:31:12

Yeah I'm pretty sure its way over filled with oil, because I had a friend ride it around my apt complex (since people had said to get it out and dont let it just idle in the garage). He took it down the street, turned around and came back. As soon as he left, oil spewed out of the huff tube, and it left a trail down the road. When he turned around and came back, it sounded like it was bogging down and it died right as he got back to the garage. The muffler and the right side of the tire were covered in oil, as well as a little skunk tail up his back since I dont have the back fender on it yet. I know its dangerous to have oil on the tires, so we pulled it back in the garage and cleaned it up.

I want to drain all the oil out, and refill it to the correct level, then have him take it around the block again. (I am taking my riding class next week, so ill be able to do it myself soon, finally) Are there any tips or suggestions for this continuing problem? Or should the correct level of oil fix this?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #41 - 09/18/13 at 15:03:28

Assuming the little filter mesh thingy is still in the head cover, the correct oil level should pretty much end the spewing out oil problem unless there is tremendous blow-by or something else causing it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #42 - 09/28/13 at 20:37:07

Ok, here is a little bit of an update: I finally got my license!!!!! I now can ride my motorcycle legally to work and anywhere I want! Now actually riding MY bike, might have to wait a bit...

I went out today with my buddy and we drained the oil and refilled it to the correct level (there was over a GALLON of oil when I drained it, so Im not surprised it spewed out oil all over the place!). When I started it up it sounded like the throttle was stuck wide open. It didnt sound like it did last week when I had it idling in the garage, and I dont know what changed between then in now. The idle screw was screwed pretty far in, so I backed it down and that seemed to pull down the RPMs a bit, but not to where it was last week. When I looked at my cable it seems to be a little loose when it goes into the hand control, would a loose cable make it rev up like that?  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #43 - 09/28/13 at 23:11:14

Jeepers!,... with a gallon of oil,.. you turned your bike into churn...
I'm surprised it didn't pump oil into the mirrors!...

2 quarts...  then set the idle to a smooth purr,... not a lope... not racing,...
Same rhythm as most cars... just don't pretend it's a Harley...

I think the oil was the problem... (does it read halfway in the siteglass, with the bike held upright, now?)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 09/29/13 at 14:36:47

If you havent dumped the oil, get a cup of it & smell for gas,, or try to lite it, SAFELY,, LONG stick with a match Outside

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting deeper into my starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.