Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Getting deeper into my starting problem (Read 488 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Getting deeper into my starting problem
Reply #15 - 09/02/13 at 13:54:55

So I finally got the time to go get a new huff tube. After I ran the tube, I tried starting it again. It kicked over and started on about the third try. But like before, oil came out of the tube and all over the floor. Lots of oil. After i cleaned up, I tried it again to see if more oil would come out. Some did but it stopped almost immediately. I let it idle for a moment, adjusting the idle screw a little bit. No more oil came out of the tube and it seemed to idle just fine. I only let it run for about a minute, maybe less.

So My question is: Could all of that oil had been because I had over filled it before and this was just the excess being blown out? It didnt smell like gas when I was cleaning it up or when I open the oil cap.

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 09/02/13 at 14:50:39

It sounds like you had it overfilled.... It should be half way up in the site glass (R-side near clutch lever) with the bike upright and level...

A blown head gasket is almost unheard of on a Savage...
Yer' dealer is a moron... or a chiseler... likely both...

Those tubes on your carb aren't emission tubes,... they're vent tubes.. they allow air out of the float bowl so that gas can enter...
They must be left open to atmosphere...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 09/06/13 at 10:54:05

I went out earlier and started it again, because I want to put the seat back on and roll it outside. When I did more oil came out for a few seconds and it was hard to start, but after a few tries the oil stopped and it idled just fine. I wasnt expecting the oil so it got all over the wrap around the exhaust pipe, and it just about smoked me out of my garage. I was worried the smoke was coming from somewhere else, but after I cut the wrap off it looked like there was just oil on it.

So the plan from here is: to clean the exhaust and get a new wrap, look for a new battery cover because the one I have doesnt seem to fit the battery box, and decide if I want to take it to a tire shop to balance the wheels because my friend took out the back axle and replaced it with the BCB extended axle.

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 09/06/13 at 13:20:54

Quote:
I want to take it to a tire shop to balance the wheels because my friend took out the back axle and replaced it with the BCB extended axle.

I'm not sure what the BCB extended axle is for, but I'm sure that changing an axle has nothing whatever to do with wheel balance. Or am I  missing something.

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 09/06/13 at 14:44:25

Fair enough, he just mentioned something about it. I wont worry about it then lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/06/13 at 20:16:34

Axle has No Bearing on balance,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 09/06/13 at 20:18:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/13 at 20:16:34:
Axle has No Bearing on balance,

unless it's bent   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 09/06/13 at 20:49:06

Even bent, wont change the wheels balance,, may screw with the ride..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 09/09/13 at 06:32:18

Ok, I wont worry about the back axle because it doesnt seem to be bent or messed up. I just dont 100% trust my buddy to follow through on some things, I mean he didnt even put the entire BCB kit on it lol.

I went out and fired it up again, because honestly, I'm glad to have it running lol. But when I got on, pulled the clutch in and put it into first, it died. I wasnt going to try and ride it anywhere, I was just curious about the gears, because it only seems to have 3 gears when my buddy would go through the shifting when not running. Does that make sense? Now this could just be my personal ignorance though because.... I dont have my license yet, I have been waiting to get the money and to get my Savage running before I took the class and get my stamp. So Im not sure if its a problem or if its just me not doing it right....

What would cause it to die when I put it in gear? That cant be normal right? Or am I just such a newbie, that I'm not doing it right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/09/13 at 07:04:42

Prolee the kickstand.. Otta not die w/ clutch in,, BUT,, Put the stand up, try again.,

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 09/10/13 at 13:04:17

Ok, I tried putting the kickstand up and it would still die when i put it in gear. BUT I tried a few more times and it wouldnt die, sometimes with, sometimes without putting the stand up. Again, I dont know if thats just a newbie thing or a mechanical thing.

I was also taking a look around the site and I saw an article about the mixture screw. I took a quick look at it today and I dont see where it is on  my carb. It is idling a bit rough, will that help it idle smoother?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 09/10/13 at 13:29:31

what happens if you bump the idle speed up a bit?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/11/13 at 04:33:27

I think Versy is onto something,,IF the added load of spinning the clutch guts in gear make it die, it runnin too low.

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 09/11/13 at 08:53:29

I turned the idle up a bit and it didnt die the times I put it into gear. (on a side note, I need some riding boots because it is darn near impossible to shift in my sneakers. Not that I was going to ride with those shoes, they were just the ones I was wearing while working on it lol). Ill go out and start it up again and see if it does it again (this time wearing my steel toe work shoes lol)

Im also going to try and find that brass plug from the article i read as well, from the sound of things everybody on here has taken that plug out eventually.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 09/11/13 at 09:00:01

Low idle = low oil pressure = DESTROYEDHead.
But hey,, it sounds good.,,.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:40:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting deeper into my starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.