Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Getting deeper into my starting problem (Read 488 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Getting deeper into my starting problem
08/07/13 at 07:54:25

Good morning everybody, so Ive posted about my starting problem before and you guys gave me some great things to check. I changed the battery, I changed the spark plug, I got a new Raptor petcock, but I cant seem to get it to fire up yet.

Last week I was talking with our engineer at work, and he brought up the carb. Now when I got my Savage, my friend had driven it for a week, then parked it to put on a BCB kit. When he parked it, I know he didnt drain the carb or anything like that (mostly because he doesnt really care about maintenance, just riding lol) so my engineer buddy said to take it off the bike and clean it. "You have ignition, you have fuel with a new petcock, the only other thing youre missing is the mix of fuel and air leading to ignition."

I never though about taking the carb off because from what I had heard it was a SOB to get off and clean. But after sitting in my garage, reading my manuel and spending 5 minutes looking at it, I finally took the carb off the bike! And it wasnt hard at all! (I was pleasantly surprised). When I got it off the bike, I turned it over and yellow gas poured out one of the California Emission tubes. Ive never seen yellow gas (or what I assumed to be gas) before. What could that be?

Now my real question to you guys is, with the limited mechanical knowledge that I have, could I be the one to take it apart, repair it and clean it? Or is that a job for a shop to do? I found a shop here in Colorado Springs that works on Suzuki carbs, but if I can save some money, and learn more about my bike by doing it myself, then I would rather do that. But if its something that a newbie shouldnt be touching, then Ill take it to that shop and have them rebuild and clean it. Any thoughts?

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Getting deeper into my starting problem
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 08:27:44

You take your time, get the right tools, lay parts out carefully, you can do it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 08:54:35

most of us can't remember sh!t about what you've done before.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367161001/0#0

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/07/13 at 09:20:04

Yellow gas is varnish. Order some new STOCK sized jets, you're high enough up that stock is the right sized. Clean the carb body, insert new jets, and ride it. No biggie.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 08/17/13 at 12:33:12

Hello everyone, so I finally had some time to work on my Savage and to try and get it started. I found some starter fluid and on the third try it finally kicked over! It fired up but as soon as I gave it a little bit of throttle (nothing dramatic, just a slow roll of the throttle), oil burst out from under the gas tank. Well I shut it down, sat on my shop stool, and thought about what could have caused that. At first, I thought I blew a head gasket because I heard that happens with the Savage eventually. So I emptied the gas out and pulled the tank off, thats when I noticed the tube coming from the right hand side of the top of the engine. The oil that burst out seemed to be coming from that, which I figure is probably less of a problem than a blown head gasket. So my question is: what is this tube? Did I over fill it and this is just the excess oil getting purged from the system? Thanks guys!

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/17/13 at 12:35:17

At first, I thought I blew a head gasket because I heard that happens with the Savage eventually.

First Ive heard of that.

Check oil level,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/17/13 at 12:50:51

The tube Justin is talking about is called the huff tube and it runs up then over and then down to the air box.   It is a large hose that is intended to allow the engine to move air around as the piston goes up and down (a pressure relief and a suction source, because both will happen with each piston stroke).

If it was unplugged at the engine mount point, then yes you can blow oil mist all over the underside of the gas tank.

Issue with a great amount of liquid oil blown everywhere is that there shouldn't BE that much oil in your engine to allow that
, which is why folks are asking you to check on some other things.  They are trying to see if you got gasoline into your oil (which bulks up the volume a lot) and they are trying to get you to look into that as a separate issue.

I realize you just put on a Raptor, so you may be dealing with a pre-existing condition from the old vac petcock.   Still, where is your oil level in the sight glass and does it smell like gasoline when you open the fill plug and take a sniff at it.

==============

Check and make sure you can blow freely through the huff tube before you put it back on again.  If you put the huff tube back on and it blows itself off again (it has a spring clamp on it,BTW) and it is free and open, you may have got some bigger issues -- a compression test might be in order then.

And I agree with Justin, blowing head gaskets NEVER happens on a Savage, although we have had crooked thieving stealership repair persons try to sell newbies head gasket teardown repair jobs quite frequently.  

(they love a $600 total engine tear down job, they do)

Have you been talking to a stealership repair person by any chance?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/17/13 at 13:01:06

Ok sweet, I will check on that stuff this week when I get a day off. The oil didnt smell like gas when the oil came out, but Ill check it again. The hose has been cut, so it vents right under the gas tank, should I put a new hose on it? One thats longer? Could it be possible that when I filled it with oil, I overfilled it? Ill check the oil level next time too

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/17/13 at 13:04:11

I DID talk to a dealership here in town, and he did say the head gasket fails a lot. So thank you for telling me that!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/17/13 at 13:09:52

Crich422 wrote on 08/17/13 at 13:01:06:
Ok sweet, I will check on that stuff this week when I get a day off. The oil didnt smell like gas when the oil came out, but Ill check it again. The hose has been cut, so it vents right under the gas tank, should I put a new hose on it? One thats longer? Could it be possible that when I filled it with oil, I overfilled it? Ill check the oil level next time too

Do you have a stock air box?   If so, the huff tube goes up over and then down to it.

If you have a cone air filter and no air box, then you need to put a small filter element on the end of the huff tube (go to your local auto parts store to find something to fit the hose).   Route your non-airbox huff tube to somewhere safe so it can drip oil to the pavement without making an unholy mess, because it is GOING TO BLOW OIL MIST OUT THE END OF IT as that is part of its job.

Did you let the stealership "work" on your bike any time lately?  

Cutting your huff tube then being all ready to tell you all about your "blown head gasket" really really smells fishy to me .....

Either you cut it or they cut it, as it would only take a few days to blow oil all over your engine.  

So which one was it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 08/17/13 at 13:19:33

Oh heck no, I called just to talk to them. I never took it anywhere, Ive done all the work on it so far myself. I didnt cut the tube but the friend that I got it from told me he cut it when I told him about this last night

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 08/17/13 at 13:19:57

No airbox, its a cone filter on the back of the carb

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/17/13 at 14:27:43

So, go buy some rubber tubing of the proper internal diameter, run it UP under the tank then over behind the engine then back down the vertical tube behind the engine and let it end in the little filter somewhere that has a straight shot to the pavement that isn't in line with your rear tire (don't want any oil on your tire, really).  

Remember the UP, then over and then down -- the oil mist needs collect in the up portion so it can run back down the tube back inside the engine or you will lose some oil out that huff tube, enough to make you add more oil more frequently than you would otherwise.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/17/13 at 14:45:38

Crich422 wrote on 08/17/13 at 13:04:11:
I DID talk to a dealership here in town, and he did say the head gasket fails a lot. So thank you for telling me that!

& Now ya know Just how much you can trust that lyin sack of crap.. NONE..

Ive got 20,000 miles on mine & i never torqued the head per Suzuki
maintenance rules. Never touched them,

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 08/18/13 at 16:29:18

How about a little catch bottle on the end of the hose, to be emptied each service? Vented to atmosphere of course. An aluminium pot from a touchup gun would look cool. And save worrying about oil going on the tyre?.
The stealerships can be pretty rough, the liars. Took some ducati heads to my local (now Out Of Business) for a valve clearance adjustment while the engine was out for Other Work. A couple years later took the whole bike back for a health checkup. "Oh wow, your valve clearances are terrible. Lucky you brought it in, it wouldn't lasted much longer". They were a bit embarrassed when I reminded them it was them that did the job last, and it had only done maybe 4000km since last (they're good for 20,000 between adjusting if you be nice).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:34:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting deeper into my starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.