Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Next" bike recommendations (Read 205 times)
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
"Next" bike recommendations
08/06/13 at 22:51:49

Hi Everyone,
Now that I've been riding a little longer, I've been considering a "next level" bike that will give me a little more highway riding ability.  I love the Savage, but when I get it on the highway and get up to around 60mph, the vibration from the big single and the lightness of the bike start to become a bit disadvantageous.  I'm also 6 foot, so I'm probably a hair tall for the Savage.

I like the Cruiser styling, the laid-back riding position, and the simple design, and I'd like to keep it under $10 grand, new.  I figure something like the Honda Shadow (which seems cool), or the Suzuki C/M50 (which are a bit much in styling for my tastes).

Opinions?  I'm not ready to write any checks, but I'm curious to everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: "Next" bike recommendations
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 05:16:00

I'm an FSO (former Savage owner) and currently own/Ride an '06 Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit and find it (for me) a perfect step-up from the LS650 ... it's hauls my 5'-4", light-weight ass around just fine and is more than enough Bike for me ... even on the highway ...

At 6 foot, depending on your inseam and preference for the Roadster-esque, Custom Cruiser stylings of the Savage/S40 (Shadow Spirit is similar), then a Yamahog V-Star 1100 Custom might be just the ticket for you ... especially if you intend much highway work ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 05:29:03

Well, you will get recommendations all across the spectrum. Personally, I went from an S40 to a C50 this spring and love it. To me the C50 feels more nimble than the S40. The weight goes to 600 but has not been an issue. There are just a few known issues with the C50 and there is a good forum for support. You would be well served looking at one.

With that said, you indicated you would buy a new bike, not used, up to 10K. One of the reasons I buy used is that you can get a used bike with very few miles on the clock for a song, if you are patient. There are a bunch of old guys that buy a bike because they have always wanted to ride. They put on a few miles and then either scare themselves or figure out it is hot, cold, or wet out there. They park the bike in the garage and then, in a few years, get the nerve to tell the wife they made a mistake and sell the bike. Case in point, I picked up the 2007 S40 with 3,600 miles for $1,500 and this spring, the 2007 C50 with 2,200 miles for the S40 plus $3,200.

But new is nice. Take a look at them all and don't forget the Triumph America.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/07/13 at 05:37:29

I think I want to chop a Sportster next. I can find plenty older models under 5k on CL. Are those things reliable though? I see a few from 90s have had tranny replaced, not a good sign I guess. Any of you guys messed with these?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 08/07/13 at 05:42:20

I had the same circumstances.  As much as I loved it for running around town, my Savage felt a little cramped and a little light for longer highway rides.  Rather than make a lot of mods to the Savage, I moved to a Kawasaki 800, the classic model.

It is working well for me.  It is bigger, more comfortable, but still not real heavy.  It gives me all the power I care use.  It is an older model bike, built from about 1997 to 2005.  Not sure of the exact years.  Although liquid cooled, it has a fairly simple and reliable carburetted engine.  What I really miss is the the Savage's set and forget belt drive.  I'm back to lubing chains.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/07/13 at 05:53:10

Right about that, had a Magna before, dont miss the chain deal one bit, no more grease on pants. I dont like shaft drive either, can get costly, I think belt is cleanest and cheapest alternative.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/07/13 at 06:03:07

Arnold wrote on 08/07/13 at 05:37:29:
I think I want to chop a Sportster next. I can find plenty older models under 5k on CL. Are those things reliable though? I see a few from 90s have had tranny replaced, not a good sign I guess. Any of you guys messed with these?

Contact MMRanch......he is our forum Sportster expert.  He had a 1200 with issues, and just bought a used 883.  I also believe Lancer is knowledable about Sportsters.

My experience is limited to what I watched on the TV  show "Then Came Bronson".....and even though I was just a kid I could tell when they used a dirt bike painted to look like the Sportster for all the stunt work on the show.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 08/07/13 at 07:41:46

I'll second the low-mileage, used Bike comment ... in the 10 years since I've gotten my motorcycle endorsement, I've had 7 different Bikes ... only one of 'em was bought brand new, out of the box (2003 LS650 Savage) ... the rest have been low-mileage, pre-owned units ... all perfectly fine and (much) cheaper than new ... lotsa GREAT deals out there if you are a savy looker! Smiley

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 08/07/13 at 09:39:03

Well MLB, wish you lived closer to me....my Harley ain't low miles, but i'm selling it under 10k and its in garage queen shape...LOL... of course its a 850+ lbs touring bagger, but I loved riding it. At 6' tall most Honda's under 1100 cc's won't do...my wife of 5'4" can sit a shadow 750 and touch. If you get a sportser 1200cc you will have to get a forward control set, I read somewhere that most MC companies design bikes for the average guy (5' 10"), so you will either have to mod your seat, foot controls, or find a used bike that a taller guy has already setup.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/07/13 at 10:37:43

If I was rich I wouldnt buy a new Anything with wheels.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #10 - 08/07/13 at 14:34:58

I would love to own a newer Triumph T100 i love the classic looks of them.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 08/07/13 at 20:19:23

I don't believe there are any bad bikes out there anymore. Triumphs are my favorites but it may not be what you want. Get whatever you can afford and looks and works best for you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 08/07/13 at 20:21:55

Midnightrider wrote on 08/07/13 at 20:19:23:
I don't believe there are any bad bikes out there anymore. Triumphs are my favorites but it may not be what you want. Get whatever you can afford and looks and works best for you.

Very GOOD advice! That's how I stumbled onto the wifes 2004 savage and am now in the process of getting me one, it just FITS...nuff' said  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 08/08/13 at 08:27:06

Its almost sad how many bikes go on CL about nov - jan for near nothing around here. If/when I look for another thats my plan. I have seen greak looking C50's for well under $4k.

As for bikes themselves.. still stuck on the America, or that Honda CB1100

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 08/08/13 at 09:10:23

Suzuki 1200 Bandit...pretty much a standard type bike with a straight up sitting position but with a dash of "sport" look thrown on.  
No shortage of power.  Nope.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:22:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › "Next" bike recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.