Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Handlebars? (Read 137 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Which Handlebars?
08/05/13 at 21:05:36

I'm looking at some different handlebars and was wanting input from other savage/s40 owners. I like the narrow choppers and want to keep my bike as clean and narrow as possible. I currently have stock S40 drag bars with the risers reversed, but I am wanting a little more stretch and rise. Being the drag bar style, my cables will not be as long as the savages, but here's some of the ones i'm looking at:

Biltwell Window Bars (9" rise)

Pangea Speed Pioneer Bars (8" tall)

Biltwell Z Bars (5" rise)

I'm also contemplating shortening the stock drag bars a couple inches and turning them down more like the machine 13 S40. at least I think that is what he did there... possibly longer risers?

any pictures or comments or suggestions. not really a poll just wanting to talk it out before I drop the cash on a new set of bars.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Which Handlebars?
Reply #1 - 08/05/13 at 23:01:21

Witch handlebars are usually,.. broomsticks... Huh...

PS... I like the look of the stockers,.. but if you want to shorten them like that, you need new bar switches... that can be pricey...
... on the other hand,... Bitwells ain't cheap...

None of those suit me...  they're all too tall...
... make me think of a puppy sitting up and begging...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/06/13 at 02:14:42

How tall are ya Nick?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 06:15:18

Serowbot wrote on 08/05/13 at 23:01:21:

PS... I like the look of the stockers,.. but if you want to shorten them like that, you need new bar switches... that can be pricey...

Huh...

They are all too low for me... and the narrow drag type on high risers doesn't provide a whole lot of comfort or control. If you are adding height, you need to add width at the same time. I had 13.5" rise on mine, and they were too narrow, elbows digging into ribs. The 15" rise set has a better spread, still needs to be shoved forwards and pinned in its new position.

That's the other thing, the higher you go, the faster you find out how cheap the factory risers are... HD spec bars have the knurling farther apart than our risers are set, it doesn't take much of a jolt to move the bars...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 08/06/13 at 08:10:10

WD wrote on 08/06/13 at 06:15:18:
Serowbot wrote on 08/05/13 at 23:01:21:

Huh...

They are all too low for me... and the narrow drag type on high risers doesn't provide a whole lot of comfort or control. If you are adding height, you need to add width at the same time. I had 13.5" rise on mine, and they were too narrow, elbows digging into ribs. The 15" rise set has a better spread, still needs to be shoved forwards and pinned in its new position.

That's the other thing, the higher you go, the faster you find out how cheap the factory risers are... HD spec bars have the knurling farther apart than our risers are set, it doesn't take much of a jolt to move the bars...

I found this problem with 8" rise bars, and fixed it with Builtwell stainless risers. They hold TIGHT.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 08/06/13 at 08:35:54

I'm 6 ft and would like a little more stretch in my arms. Nothing too crazy. Maybe hands at eye level or so? and extended out. Or going for way more pullback and narrow(the pangea bars). I was hoping someone else had done some similar style bars and had pictures. I found a couple of shots of savages with Z bars, but I think I want a little taller than 4 or 5". And I really like the Pangea Pioneer bars on Harleys but I have no clue if it'd look the same on our bikes. Really just wanting to change up the stock bars and seeing what my options are.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/06/13 at 16:09:58

Well,, narrow bars = less leverage. Its not often needed, but when it it is, its important. Hands at shoulder level & shoulder width would ride pretty comfy Id think & youd have all the torque youd need to literally hop the bike into another lane,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 08/06/13 at 16:27:55

thats pretty much what i'm thinking. shoulder width. good to know i'm covered on the control part there. now just deciding look wise what flows best. just put a tall homemade sissy bar on this afternoon. so more staring at the bike trying to figure out lines and silhouettes

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 08/07/13 at 05:21:08

Those Z-bars look really cool ... have always loved the look of those! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - 08/07/13 at 12:13:51

Hi Mate, I wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of your bike.. I like the front wheel...

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/07/13 at 13:38:49

If you want handling,.. look to race bikes...
Dirt racers use a wider bar, for quicker response, and less fatigue... street racers have narrow, low bars,.. for stability, and aerodynamics...
No bikes build for performance use apes...  
No long distance touring bikes do either...

If you like the look,.. go for it... but, it ain't good for handling, comfort, or performance...
Same goes for forwards,.. and hard-tailing...
These mods wreck handling...
... same as, running open pipes, and cone filters, ruin performance...
If you want what you want,... just be honest with yourself.... it ain't because it will be better,... it's just because that's how you want it...
Style is a matter of personal opinion,... performance isn't...

Truth hurts...  
...(I'm having rotten day,... Grin)... ranting makes me feel better...
That's my sadistic side... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 08/07/13 at 15:30:56

I'll take a rigid framed springer equipped with apes any day. Low bars are not comfortable, frame mounted seats aren't real comfortable, and a rear tire at 35 psi in a rigid frame feels less squirmy than the same tire in a swingarm.

May still turn the Savage into a rigid, it has zero resale value anyway. Add a Road King or KZ police solo on 5" barrel springs. Fill the forks with 90 weight until I can make the proper springer/girder to fit a nice twin leading shoe drum brake hub rocking a 21" hoop. Decided my old type 90/90-19 is still too fat a tire, need a 80/90 or a 70/90...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:25:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Which Handlebars?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.