Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Safety Course (Read 120 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Motorcycle Safety Course
08/05/13 at 13:06:42

My cousin is 20 years old and just got his first motorycle, a Ninja 300.  Before he bought the bike I told him he sould attend the MSF course.  He has no experience and has ridden about 400 miles.

Last week he said he wanted to go on a ride with me......and I got really nervous about it.  I just don't know what to expect from a new rider that has no experience....and I am not familiar with how to teach riding skills.  My dirt experience has convinced me that falling down is part of the learning experience - but learning on the street makes that scenario much more painful.  He is used to very fast cars, and I don't expect him to ride this motorcycle slowly for any length of time - he will begin pushing his limits rather quickly.....and that wprroes me.

I have told him that if he wants to ride with me - I will ride with him to the MSF course, and maybe even take it with him.

He has no problem operating the bike and starting, stopping, turning, etc. - but I have no idea of his skill level.  Does anyone know if he needs to take the Level 1 course - or jump to the level 2 course.  If he can take the level 2 course than I might take it with him.

The local place to take it is Balance Dynamics in Walton, KY.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Motorcycle Safety Course
Reply #1 - 08/05/13 at 13:24:48

Dave,
BRC1 and BRC2 are basically the same exercises but in BRC2 you use your own bike, not the trainer they supply in BRC1. I think they require you have been riding at least 6 months before you are eligible for the BRC2.

If I may, I would strongly suggest he enroll in the BRC1. He will save on insurance and if he lives in Kentucky, he will get his endorsement without having to take the state test.

I have always had great respect for teachers, they know how to do it and how to teach it, not an easy task. He may not need much in the way of operating the bike, but the classroom portion goes a long way in teaching survival on the streets.

And falling down is not really considered a good way to learn on a street bike. Way too many hard things down below.

Good luck and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/05/13 at 13:30:37

if he can handle the bike ok, what he lacks is the traffic experience.
does he have his m/c endorsement?
no insurance / NO ride period.

aside from that, have him follow you around in a empty parking lot.
put him thru the paces, tight figure 8's, panic stops etc.
if he can follow you and not fall over, on to the next step.
communication is the hard part here.
repeat this mantra... you are invisible and naked.
most don't intend to kill you, others do.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/05/13 at 13:53:32

most don't intend to kill you,but they can & will, quickly,, cell phone in hand, or putting lipstick on,,  others do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #4 - 08/05/13 at 18:14:26

I thought the MSF course was a lot of fun. Aside from the riding, there was also a lot of discussion on positioning within lanes, watching out for sand/ice, using other vehicles as shields. And also when waiting at a light to look and see which drivers are on the phone, applying lipstick, etc.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #5 - 08/05/13 at 18:19:24

in Tx the MSF is required to get your endorsement

so if your legal he might take the heat off you if stopped??

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 08/05/13 at 18:57:16

Dave as Blinky said, The BRC1 has to be taken before BRC2. The gang up at Walton are super folks! They work very hard to get you ready for the road but make it a load of fun. By any means you have to....get your cousin to Walton and in that course...he will thank you for it later!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/06/13 at 05:02:25

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Last night I had a City Council meeting in Walton, and I rode my Cafe' conversion to the meeting.  I was a few minutes early so I stopped by the Balance Dynamics site to see if anything was going on.  There was not anyone there and I rode my bike out onto their training site and tried to navigate the lines they had painted on the asphalt.  I found out the turning radius on my bike is not tight enough to navigate some of the cornerrs they have painted.  In order to stop the forks from hitting the GT550 tank I had to limit the movement of the forks a bit, and the turning radius is not as tight as it used to be.  It is fine when on the road - but it cannot turn very sharp in parking lots and I need about 22 feet of width to make a full turn......I can't turn much sharper than my car does!

I may have to borrow a bike to take a class.  Maybe this is a good enough excuse to convince my wife I need to buy another bike! Grin  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 08/06/13 at 06:22:23

Borrow mine, swap your engine in and try it on their course. Floorboards, full rear fender, apes, raised seating position... whole different ball game.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/06/13 at 08:21:47

WD wrote on 08/06/13 at 06:22:23:
Borrow mine, swap your engine in and try it on their course. Floorboards, full rear fender, apes, raised seating position... whole different ball game.

Thanks for the offer.......but I think rearsets, clip ons, and limited steering lock is enough of a challenge to put me in the "unsatisfactory" performance category.

I have given my uncle all the information and he acts like he seems somehow unconcerned, and acted like he doesn't care if my cousin (his son) takes the course anytime soon. Shocked

I gave him this same information when they first got the bike a couple of months ago and strongly suggested that my cousin take the course if he was going to have a motorcycle.  Both my uncle and cousin seem to think that my cousin has abilities far above those of mortal men!

Sorry to have wasted everybody's time.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 08/06/13 at 08:42:24

Wasn't a waste of time, you'll likely see one or two forum members decide to take a refresher course. Always a worthwhile subject.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #11 - 08/06/13 at 14:00:49

so We are driving down the street the other day and there are two bikes in front of us, and the wife says to me. "Hey look the one in the front didnt take the class" sure enough They had a lot of trouble making a slow speed turn.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
chiguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago area
Reply #12 - 08/06/13 at 19:06:30

I, too, would recommend the BRC1.  I took it after riding for 6 months or so and definitely learned a thing or two.  In particular, they teach some of the things that you don't often encounter (like how to best ride over something like a 2x4 in the road).  It is a bit of a commitment: a Friday evening and most of two full days on the weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:33:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle Safety Course

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.