Send Topic Print
Guns up, crime down. (Read 41 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Guns up, crime down.
08/04/13 at 16:49:17

Amid calls nationwide for stricter gun control laws, Virginia is experiencing a unique trend: the state's gun-related crime is declining but firearms sales are increasing.

Firearms sales rose 16 percent to a record 490,119 guns purchased from licensed gun dealers in 2012, according to sales estimates obtained by the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

During the same period, major crimes committed with firearms dropped 5 percent to 4,378.

"This appears to be additional evidence that more guns don't necessarily lead to more crime," said Thomas R. Baker, an assistant professor at Virginia Commonwealth University's L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs who specializes in research methods and criminology theory.

"It's a quite interesting trend given the current rhetoric about strengthening gun laws and the presumed effect it would have on violent crimes," Baker told the newspaper. "While you can't conclude from this that tougher laws wouldn't reduce crime even more, it really makes you question if making it harder for law-abiding people to buy a gun would have any effect on crime."

". . . all those extra guns can actually work to lower crime . . ."
- Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League

But he cautioned against drawing any conclusions that more guns in the hands of Virginians are causing a corresponding drop in gun crime.

Josh Horwitz, executive director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, said that the real question is how many guns are sold without a background check.

"In other words, if people who buy those guns and have a background check, and keep those guns and don't sell them, then you would not expect that those guns would affect the crime rate," Horwitz told the newspaper. "The important analysis is not the total number of guns sold with a background check, but rather the number of guns sold without a background check."

Virginia State Police conduct instant background checks on everyone seeking to purchase a gun through a federally licensed firearms dealer in Virginia.

The newspaper said it had asked Baker in 2012 to examine six years' worth of gun transaction data compiled by Virginia State Police through the Virginia Firearms Transaction Center. He then compared the data with state crime figures for the same period. Baker recently reviewed updated transaction figures obtained by the newspaper and compared them with the years he originally examined.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, said that the data show that most of the guns being sold are "going to decent people".

"That's not going to affect crime and, in fact, all those extra guns can actually work to lower crime because those are going into the hands of (concealed) permit holders or people using them to defend their homes," Van Cleave told the newspaper.

Click for more from  The Richmond Times-Dispatch.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/04/virginia-gun-crime-drops-as-firearms-sal...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/04/virginia-gun-crime-drops-as-firearms-sal...

I know, it's not credible because it's from Fox News even though the Associated Press contributed.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Guns up, crime down.
Reply #1 - 08/05/13 at 06:26:36

Faux news ... really, oh well it must be a secret news they only know about.

But even in that - The important analysis is not the total number of guns sold with a background check, but rather the number of guns sold without a background check

So how do they know the ones that have bought the gun aren't turnoing around and selling it to someone else ...

And I guess the crime in that localitly is down ... how do they know these guns are not in say Washington C being used in crime ?

Yea ... we dont keep those records ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 08/05/13 at 18:22:50

Unarmed ciizens are easy prey. Don't make it easy for them. Get a nice quality pistol and carry holster. Go to the range and practice every chance you can. You've got to shoot well to get the upper hand.Most crininals don't practice because they think there will be no resistance.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 08/06/13 at 09:21:30

Midnightrider wrote on 08/05/13 at 18:22:50:
Unarmed ciizens are easy prey. Don't make it easy for them. Get a nice quality pistol and carry holster. Go to the range and practice every chance you can. You've got to shoot well to get the upper hand.Most crininals don't practice because they think there will be no resistance.

Most criminals break into a house to steal guns ... they expect ... nothing, no one in the house and Guns are the most sought after item to be stolen ... of course cash and gold, but of late, no one keeps those @ home.

1-2-3-4-5-6 + vehicles, most of which are motorcycles gives the Criminal stranger a strong incentive to stay away ...
The friend-Criminal would know more likely know the house is empty ...
No one thinks I am unarmed ...
No one thinks I have no guns ...
No one thinks I will hurt them with a gun
No one thinks its a good idea to go up against me, I am a great friend and a terrible enemy ... and they all know that.

I doubt my gun will ever be used except to kill off a few beer cans, and the less I show it around the safer I am by not being a "target" trust me, without a gun, I can probably kill someone and make it look like an accident far easier ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:22:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Guns up, crime down.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.