Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: new 2014 Indian Motos
Reply #1 - 08/04/13 at 07:57:11

Looks like this incarnation got smart and bought the tooling for a 1500 Drifter front fender from Kawasaki... it's mounted wrong, but the red one screams "I came off of a Drifter"...

The hard bag version is hideous. The black one with the tan bags looks great. Definitely needs the bags to help hide the ugly rear fender step...

Valiant effort, very close to right this time, much better than the Gilroy version  and other pretenders. A little clean up where the side panels meet the fenders, and get rid of the 48-53 Dodge truck door seam in the fender valances, and it would be right.

Now, if that engine was stuffed into an 800 Drifter chassis and bodywork... it would be what Indian should have become.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/04/13 at 08:20:48

Strip it down and make a bobber... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/04/13 at 08:24:56

Tempting, but more likely to cut it down as a hill climber if it has any decent torque...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/04/13 at 10:39:07

WD wrote on 08/04/13 at 07:57:11:
Looks like this incarnation got smart and bought the tooling for a 1500 Drifter front fender from Kawasaki... it's mounted wrong, but the red one screams "I came off of a Drifter"...

The hard bag version is hideous. The black one with the tan bags looks great. Definitely needs the bags to help hide the ugly rear fender step...

Valiant effort, very close to right this time, much better than the Gilroy version  and other pretenders. A little clean up where the side panels meet the fenders, and get rid of the 48-53 Dodge truck door seam in the fender valances, and it would be right.

Now, if that engine was stuffed into an 800 Drifter chassis and bodywork... it would be what Indian should have become.

What? You didn't complain because it has a hydraulic front fork instead of a springer? And that it isn't a hardtail? And that it doesn't have a kick starter? Not to mention overhead valves, electronic ignition and fuel injection? How can it be an Indian?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 08/04/13 at 10:56:58

Charon wrote on 08/04/13 at 10:39:07:

What? You didn't complain because it has a hydraulic front fork instead of a springer? And that it isn't a hardtail? And that it doesn't have a kick starter? Not to mention overhead valves, electronic ignition and fuel injection? How can it be an Indian?

And radial tires !!!  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/04/13 at 13:53:52

Simple evolutionary process, if done right, is inoffensive. Indian's last models had glide front ends, almost no street bike these days has a kicker because a kicker paired with an electronic ignition is hard to set up properly, Indian had overhead valves a century ago...

I'm just glad it isn't liquid cooled, although, it would be useful for more of the year if it was. When my bikes run, the air cooled ones are parked for late spring through mid fall down here, too hot/humid.

I tried to refrain earlier, but, it does look like a Yamaha with Kawasaki fenders...

If I want a modern Chief, I'll buy a Kiwi. Much more convincing, it is still a real side valve engine. And the ,mid 1930s Chief replica looks like the 1936 and 1938 models I used to own...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 08/04/13 at 14:40:42

Not my style of bike, but I wish them well.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 08/05/13 at 04:30:17

Quote:
If I want a modern Chief, I'll buy a Kiwi. Much more convincing, it is still a real side valve engine. And the ,mid 1930s Chief replica looks like the 1936 and 1938 models I used to own...

Huh

What's a Kiwi ? maybe you mean a "Kawi" ? (as in "Drifter")

And who on earth still makes side valve engines ? Even Royal Enfield and Dnepr/Ural have gone OHV these days...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 08/05/13 at 04:46:57

http://www.kiwiindian.com/

There is a 1500 Drifter on the farm already...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #10 - 08/05/13 at 18:28:57

they look nice and pricey

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/05/13 at 20:49:28

WD wrote on 08/04/13 at 13:53:52:

Simple evolutionary process, if done right, is inoffensive. Indian's last models had glide front ends, almost no street bike these days has a kicker because a kicker paired with an electronic ignition is hard to set up properly, Indian had overhead valves a century ago...

I'm just glad it isn't liquid cooled, although, it would be useful for more of the year if it was. When my bikes run, the air cooled ones are parked for late spring through mid fall down here, too hot/humid.

I tried to refrain earlier, but, it does look like a Yamaha with Kawasaki fenders...

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/indiankiwi111.jpg

why do you like trouble??   side valve? ugly ass seats??  hard tail?  

a yamaha with swoopy fenders sounds solid to me, a kit bike replica of 1930's technology sounds like a headache.  

I like the new bikes, still way out of my price range, but ABS, push button start, mp3 player integration, saddle bags that open with the push of a button, heck the new bikes are like spaceships compared with the originals.  

but I like Victories too, so don't take my word for it . . .

Grin

1948 Indian:

Kawasaki Drifter:
are these liquid cooled?  radiator hidden between the downtubes of the frame?  oil cooler?

New Indian 2014:

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/05/13 at 21:30:38

Liquid cooled, the 805cc version is in a softail frame, the 1500 is exposed twin shock.

As far as the "fluff" on modern bikes... ABS? No, MP3? No. I could do w/o the push button start on the Savage, both Honda project bikes are kick only, and both have points ignition.

And the seats on the old timers are easy on the back, even with rigid frames. I'll take one of them any day over the Savage, stock or built to fit like mine is. The rigid just feels more controlled to me when I'm getting on it pretty good. And a springer gives you better road feel and zero brake dive.

My first bike had a tank shift, a rigid frame, points, kick only and a 17" over stock springer. My car has 4 wheel drums, manual steering and a 4 speed. My favorite truck has a hand throttle, stock... and a 230 cubic inch side valve 6 cylinder, 3 on the floor and a 4.78:1 rear gear set.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/06/13 at 02:13:02

Face it WD, youre a renaissance man,, who shoulda been a grown man decades ago..I think I should have,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 08/06/13 at 07:23:45

I like that Polaris has taken a historical bike, Indian, and made a solid attempt at making a comeback with them.

I would've never considered an Indian in the past because I don't want the headache of a classic always needing something to keep it running and the last run of them did not exactly have the best track record for reliability or availability. With the new production, models, and dealer support I wish them the best and in a number of years when I am actually considering a bigger bike for two-up riding I will have to consider the Indian Chief Vintage as shown below...very very similar to the Road King Classic that I always thought I would like.

Indian Chief Vintage...

Road King Classic...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:27:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › new 2014 Indian Motos

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.