Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Congress cutting Postal Service cost (Read 167 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Congress cutting Postal Service cost
Reply #15 - 08/07/13 at 07:19:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/13 at 15:14:54:
& How many pieces of mail do they lose 20 cents ON?

That is a pittance compared to the several trillion pieces of mail they lose $20/30+ on ...

With that hint, imagine what I could be talking about.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/07/13 at 09:25:06

Lets see severa trillion,, = at least 3 trillion pieces, $20.00 lost = 60 TRillion a year loss,, youre sure about that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #17 - 08/07/13 at 09:46:16

Jog the PO concedes losses in the rural zones but offsets that with urban deliveries. Think about apartment highrises and garden apartments with cluster boxes.  the $.47 is a compromise of sorts.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 08/07/13 at 10:11:55

The U.S. Postal Service proposed revising its international mail pricing system a few weeks ago. The new system would raise shipping rates from the United States by 13 percent on average. Seeing as foreign postal services deliver our mail overseas, do they get a cut of the postage?

Yes, but not directly. Say you're paying the U.S. Postal Service 84 cents to send a letter to Paris. Part of that cost covers postal labor and infrastructure here in the United States. Another part takes care of the transportation to Paris. (The USPS regularly contracts commercial airlines, as well as private carriers like FedEx and United Parcel Service to transport international mail.) And a third part helps offset the fees paid to the French postal service to carry letters like yours from the airport to their destinations.

OK I believe that USPS is delivering chinese junk to US customers getting nothing for it in terminal fees ... and the $$$ going to china used to go via postal MO or something, is now going via paypal ...

We need to raise the $$$ china gives us to transport to the destination.
It cant be cheaper to buy somehting from china and have it get here, than it will be to send it 300 miles ...
Like I bought a set of billet grips - 12 bucks shipped form china.
If I wanted to ship that to someone 200 miles away ... $12. WTH ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/07/13 at 10:20:20

It cant be cheaper to buy somehting from china and have it get here, than it will be to send it 300 miles ...

A conundrum Ive pondered many times.. Look at what can be had for a $20.00 a W-mart, from CHina,, How is it possible to obtain raw materials, run equipment, pay labor, pack, transport to a freighter, ship it, take it off the ship, put it on a truck, send it to Omaha, It just doesnt make sense,,I can buy a hand held mixer for less than $15.00, it has a motor, a switch, a housing, beaters & wisks, a cord,, & its shipped a long way,, How is that even possible? I dont see how that can be done if theres a magic machine that uses no energy, requires no raw materials, never breaks down & needs no one to run it poopin those things out
one every minute.. just boxing them up & shipping them & distributing them & putting them on the shelf otta cost enough to make that impossible,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 08/07/13 at 10:29:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 10:20:20:

A conundrum Ive pondered many times.. Look at what can be had for a $20.00 a W-mart, from CHina,, How is it possible to obtain raw materials, run equipment, pay labor, pack, transport to a freighter, ship it, take it off the ship, put it on a truck, send it to Omaha, It just doesnt make sense,,I can buy a hand held mixer for less than $15.00, it has a motor, a switch, a housing, beaters & wisks, a cord,, & its shipped a long way,, How is that even possible? I dont see how that can be done if theres a magic machine that uses no energy, requires no raw materials, never breaks down & needs no one to run it poopin those things out
one every minute.. just boxing them up & shipping them & distributing them & putting them on the shelf otta cost enough to make that impossible,,

Not my point ... in a container full, with a ship full of containers all destined to Walmart they can get it ... there is mark up in everything you try to make ... your metal 2000%, tools 500%, etc etc etc ... so you can never make anything (almost anything) for as cheap as it is @ walmart ... economies of scale my friend ...

Where the math works on the container full ...
Doesn't apply to 1 box.
Chinese post gets it to say NYC or DC for an item to get to me. That box travels 400-600 miles via USPS to get to my door.

That same box I send it just that 500 miles, and it costs more than the item + shipping

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/07/13 at 10:31:49

Good grief, please dont insult my intelligence, I completely grasp economy of scale. I just dont see how its possible, even WITH economy of scale, to make products & box & haul & load & ship & unpack & ALL that must be done & deliver it to the shelf for that,

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 08/07/13 at 10:47:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 10:31:49:
Good grief, please dont insult my intelligence, I completely grasp economy of scale. I just dont see how its possible, even WITH economy of scale, to make products & box & haul & load & ship & unpack & ALL that must be done & deliver it to the shelf for that,

Completely missing the point, and well obviously its possible, cos walmart and china making out like bandits on you $15 blender ... there aint $5 worth of crap in it, and much of that is in the carton its sitting in.

And its unrelated to the USPS getting shafted.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/07/13 at 14:34:27

congress should cut congress's costs

talking about efficiency... there ain't none there.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/07/13 at 15:46:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 09:25:06:
Lets see severa trillion,, = at least 3 trillion pieces, $20.00 lost = 60 TRillion a year loss,, youre sure about that?

You never conceded that point,, If I can admit being wrong,, maybe you should give it a try,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 08/07/13 at 15:48:02

Republicans,.. wanting to privatize everything, imposed a requirement in 2006, that the Post Office prefund it's retirement for the next 75 years, and do it in the next 10 years...
A near impossible task...

... but,... the Constitution requires the Post Office guarantee mail delivery to every home... no matter how remote or unprofitable...
Fed-Ex and UPS take advantage of this, and pass off unprofitable deliveries to the USPS....  That's why you can sometimes send some thing Fed-Ex or UPS, and find your mailman delivering it...

USPS is in the awkward position of being halfway privatized... They must make profit, but are federally mandated to do unprofitable things...
They can't be fully privatized because the Constitution won't allow it...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/07/13 at 16:07:36

USPS is in the awkward position of being halfway privatized... They must make profit, but are federally mandated to do unprofitable things...

Hey,, thats a lot like private businesses.. They Must make a profit, or go bust, but they have mandates to do things that cost them $$$.
Its called, Cost of compliance, records keeping is one of those things,

Not justifying anything, both suck,

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #27 - 08/07/13 at 18:13:21

verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/13 at 14:34:27:

+1!!!!!!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #28 - 08/09/13 at 08:36:22

Midnightrider wrote on 08/07/13 at 18:13:21:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/13 at 14:34:27:

+1!!!!!!!!

And when you cut it ... it becomes less efficient ...

You heard the story about how bigger houses are cheaper per sq ft than comparable smaller houses ... same thing.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 08/09/13 at 14:28:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 15:46:31:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 09:25:06:

You never conceded that point,, If I can admit being wrong,, maybe you should give it a try,

Its time you manned up & admitted your figures are completely bogus.,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:25:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Congress cutting Postal Service cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.