Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about jetting and weather (Read 60 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Question about jetting and weather
08/02/13 at 08:48:53

I live in Tampa and the temperature can swing almost 30 degrees from morning to the hottest part of the day, and humidity can be from 30% to almost 100% depending on the time of year.  I don't want to re-jet with every season and moving is not an option so my question is do I need to jet for the average weather and maybe be a little lean or a little rich?  What does everyone else do?  I can't believe that people that live here change there jetting every time the weather changes.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Question about jetting and weather
Reply #1 - 08/02/13 at 09:01:06

Average weather. Carburetors are more black art than they are science. Get it to where it works most of the year and call it good. High humidity it may spit some carbon flakes, which is a good thing, pulling extra carbon from the valves and combustion chamber makes the bike run better.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/02/13 at 10:01:49

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - 08/02/13 at 10:24:57

Thanks for the link I actually read it and now I'm a little confused about which end of the throttle to start with some people have said to adjust the wide open throttle first and work my way down and some have said to start from idle and work my way up.  I also have the problem of being in a location that is low altitude but high humidity does the low altitude but high humidity cancel each other out?  I'm not looking to make this thing into a race bike or anything but I have already changed the air filter out for a K&N and I have a less restrictive muffler on the way I bought my motorcycle to use as my daily transportation to work as much as possible, and I just want it to get good gas mileage, enough power to run at 70 mph, and reliable enough not to break down in the middle of no where.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/02/13 at 10:33:24

I bought mine when I lived in Long Beach MS in 1998. Stock jets were decent with the higher humidity, but it did run a lot smoother going up 1/2 a size on the pilot jet. Air screw out an additional 3/4 to 1 turn past o.e.m. setting.

Bigger problem was the salt residue in the air. Hard on the bike as a whole, lots of corrosion. And the salt residue can/does get into fuel storage tanks, mixes with the fuel and turns brass jets into green blobs.

I was a block and a half off the beach though...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 08/02/13 at 10:39:01

When I got this bike every bit of chrome has been ate up by the salt, the handle bars are all rusty, the case had white deposits all over them and both rims are rusty.  I bought it because I was just getting back into riding again after being away for over 20 years and I wanted something I wouldn't care about if I dropped it.  Now I'm at the point where I can't decide if I want to invest money into making it look better or buy something new.  Mechanically it is in outstanding shape but appearance wise it's the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/02/13 at 11:06:24

Sounds like nothing that sandpaper, naval jelly and Trim Brite or similar yacht paint can't handle.

Chrome is evil, bare engines are ugly, and switchboxes are best replaced with toggle switches.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:28:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about jetting and weather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.