.... Pine goes down (Read 125 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
.... Pine goes down
08/02/13 at 06:35:26

Well .. first "accident" on the bike and layed her down ( but gently).

So I ride nearly every day to work. On campus there is a spot where the construction truck tore up the asphalt .. and they put down gravel. That dern gravel always scares me so I make sure to go over it as straight as possible even though its in a curve. Well this morning I hit it too fast and began to slide... I was able to straighten that out but only by going in the opposing lane. There was a car coming, and I could not get back to my lane so I deiced to jump the opposing curb.

Note to all: Savage don't jump up over curbs!

I just kinda slid along the curb till .. basically at 0 mph .. I just fell over. Scrubbed my boots bad.. and scuffed the foot peg. Far as I can tell that's the sum total of damage. Well I haven't checked the front wheel... hope to hell I didn't bend it.  I picked the bike and rode the last 300 feet to my parking spot. Don't even have rash on my hand.

Pride is hurt.... dernit. Gosh darn gravel.

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Re: .... Pine goes down
Reply #1 - 08/02/13 at 06:48:59

Complain to somebody about the gravel. Start with the construction company and if you don't get a "we will patch with asphalt immediately", then go to the police.

You knew that the gravel was there, BUT what about the next biker that comes along and doesn't know about the gravel being there on a curve.

It is a safety hazard and the construction company is negligent and liable for injuries.

I wouldn't wait. You could have suffered greatly and so can others.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/02/13 at 07:11:10

Time they clean up their mess. The road repair likely won't get finished properly until they receive enough complaints. The gravel and barrels we went by on my road have been there for months, apparently, that is a "finished" repair these days, the road isn't in town so...

Remember how we jacked the bike up to do your tire? Do the same, get the rear wheel about 3 inches off the ground. Get someone to sit on the bike so the front end comes off the ground, spin the wheel. You need to check it for a wobble or any bearing growling. Also check caliper function, even a light tip over can jar it enough to cause a leak or a jammed piston.

Odds are your machine is just fine, but you do need to check it over. If there IS a problem, get it documented at a trustworthy dealership... this used to be the best one in MS...http://www.suzukionly.com/

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #3 - 08/02/13 at 08:18:17

Glad to hear you're OK.  I always hate riding on gravel.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 08/02/13 at 08:29:17

On a lighter note...

...now that we all know you're OK...

...you even have a nickname for the bike :

"TIMMM... BERRR !"

Cheesy

Look at the bright side of it, you even picked her up and rode the rest of the way yourself  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
boratedoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/02/13 at 09:25:22

Glad you're OK, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I hate gravel.

I had an almost identical experience in a low speed curve, the bike slid on a small amount of gravel and I was forced to put a foot down and take the same actions to avoid a low side. Fortunately, there was no one in the oncoming lane and just a grassy area alongside the road on the opposite shoulder, so I was able to re-gain control and stay upright..... but it did take a few minutes for my posterior to release its' grip on the seat!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/02/13 at 12:03:56

Pine:

Glad you survived with little physical or emotional injury.

You need to attend one of OldFellor's Gravel Training Sessions!  He offers them during the Dragon Runs and they are free to all who attend.  He provides practice in dirt, loose gravel, stutter bumps, washboard, uphill, downhill.  And for those who can keep up to see the advanced activities......you can watch the session on Ford pickup truck avoidence maneuvers!

Classes include both on and off seat instructions.  Classes are scheduled as needed, and often come at the end of 30 mile sections of pavement with no chance of finding an alternate paved route!

« Last Edit: 08/02/13 at 15:44:47 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/02/13 at 19:31:37

Glad you are ok, I'm with the other guys lodge a formal complaint and make sure your bike is ok.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 08/02/13 at 19:58:01

I feel the same way about people mowing grass at a curve in the road and throwing the grass on to the road ,  Well  I can tell ya first hand those little blades are slick when they are in mass !  Angry

Glad your OK !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/02/13 at 22:59:22

Too bad I wasnt driving the oncoming, I woulda put it in the other lane & stopped

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 08/03/13 at 08:38:09

Glad to hear you're ok and sounds like your bike probably survived pretty unscathed as well.

They have a bad habit, around here, of filling potholes with rock until they can get around to fixing them.  After a couple days, there are little pebbles all over the road. Always seems to be in a curve and usually a shaded area.

I'm with everybody else. Complain!

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:17:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › .... Pine goes down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.