Send Topic Print
Re: Tires (Read 617 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Re: Tires
Reply #30 - 02/12/14 at 19:10:29

I've been looking at Metzelers for my bike too. For the bike the 880 like you've got, but for the front, I can get the newest version, the 888 which is apparently even a further improvement over the already well-rated 880. The 888 Marathon is not yet available in our rear tire size as of yet, at least not on my Canadian website...canadasmotorcycle.com. Just out of curiosity, how do my quoted Canadian prices measure up with what you guys are spending? Front tire is 132 dollars and the rear is 160.
On another note, I've got almost 13000 miles on my original stock tires and the rear is due, but the front still looks great. I bought my 06 bike May 2013 with original tires barely used, and yes, I know about dried out compounds...but no checking, damage, etc. so will replace with new before spring, but I thought the stock tires handled well. Based on many on comments from the site, it seems I may not know what I'm missing in handling until I go with Metzelers. Your thoughts folks?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #31 - 02/12/14 at 21:56:52

I have the 888 on the rear of my Speedmaster and LOVE it. Grips very well wet or dry. Only done a couple thousand k on it yet but shows no sign of wear. They have a slightly different profile to the 880, side wall appears slightly higher giving a flatter curve ti the tread. I certainly can use more of the tire than I could with the 880

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #32 - 02/15/14 at 17:04:40

I'm due for a rear tire, don't want to spend too much, so one question:

IRC or Dunlop?

(they are both at a similar price point)

Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 02/15/14 at 20:46:20

paulchristi wrote on 02/15/14 at 17:04:40:
IRC or Dunlop?

Not stock IRC...  you can do better...
Between the two,.. go Dunlop...
Check out Shinko 712's...  (nice looking, plenty sticky)...
Kenda's are good too...

Overall,... I'm most impressed with Shinko's...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Reply #34 - 02/16/14 at 05:50:13

Thanks..another question...does the "cap head bolt" modification apply primarily to Savages or bikes w/ saddlebag brackets?  When I look at my S40, the bolts are all regular hex head, and it looks like going to cap heads wouldn't accomplish much.  It looks the the item most in danger of hitting an overhead tire is the taillight wiring.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #35 - 02/16/14 at 05:57:17

You shouldn't have to worry about that if you get the standard tire size.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #36 - 02/17/14 at 17:01:16

Rembrandt wrote on 02/12/14 at 19:10:29:
I've been looking at Metzelers for my bike too. For the bike the 880 like you've got, but for the front, I can get the newest version, the 888 which is apparently even a further improvement over the already well-rated 880. The 888 Marathon is not yet available in our rear tire size as of yet, at least not on my Canadian website...canadasmotorcycle.com. Just out of curiosity, how do my quoted Canadian prices measure up with what you guys are spending? Front tire is 132 dollars and the rear is 160.
On another note, I've got almost 13000 miles on my original stock tires and the rear is due, but the front still looks great. I bought my 06 bike May 2013 with original tires barely used, and yes, I know about dried out compounds...but no checking, damage, etc. so will replace with new before spring, but I thought the stock tires handled well. Based on many on comments from the site, it seems I may not know what I'm missing in handling until I go with Metzelers. Your thoughts folks?

Hey Rembrandt, I'm in Stirling, Ontario.  Maybe we will cross paths out riding after all this snow is gone.  I often ride up through Cambellford, Hastings, Keene and up to Peterborough.  Back in December I bought two Dyna-Glide mufflers from a guy in Peterborough (only need one - ha, ha) that I plan on installing when weather warms a bit.  I plan to buy two new tires myself for the spring season.  Bike is 2003 Savage with 19,000Km on it.
Cheers.

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #37 - 02/18/14 at 18:20:14

Crossed 13,500 miles and changed the stock to the 880 yesterday (Monday 17th). Rode to work this morning and the ride was smoother, my goal, though, is to get more miles than the stock tire. I was gonna swap out the rear brakes at the same time but they still had 40% of the pad left on the shoe so I left them for next time.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #38 - 02/18/14 at 18:34:09

No kidding, did you really get 13K out if the stock tire?  You'll get a whole lot more out of the 880s.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
GostThumper
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 02/20/14 at 20:13:48

Thanx 4 the info, Im hopin the 110/80 would be a lil wider & lil shorter so mayb fit under fender w/o mod, but still have plenty of tread to think about it LOL! runwyrlph wrote on 01/28/14 at 07:14:59:
I had a 110-90-19 on the front for a couple years that I ordered by mistake.  never felt like it was a problem while riding on it , but I remember that when I put the 100-90-19 back on it felt like an improvement in control.

(I did like the looks of the bigger tire, but I also had to modify the fender attachment to fit it in)

IP Logged
GostThumper
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 02/20/14 at 20:18:51

pg wrote on 01/28/14 at 07:56:57:
GostThumper wrote on 01/27/14 at 20:02:27:
Anyone that has gone to the 150/90-15 rear or 110/80-19 front have any input as to ride improvement/problems etc?

I wouldn't recommend putting on the 150/90/15.  I have the 140/90 on mine and I had to put on cap-head bolts so they wouldn't rub the fender.  I also had to take the saddle bag supports off as well.  Excluding that, they are absolutely wonderful.  I have put on 2500 miles and they have a whole lot of tread left.  I guessing I should be at least 15k out of mine.  

I read about the rubbing problems, but I should be ok as I put 11.5" progressive shocks & took the side rails & turn signals off, so lots o clearance now!  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.