YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Starter problem ?
Reply #15 - 08/05/13 at 05:00:03

Steve H wrote on 08/03/13 at 09:45:12:
Engine cases looked perfect. I know there's a clutch in this big gear. could the clutch be messed up? This gear bolts to the back of the stator doesn't it? What's involved in getting the stator of to check it?

No the gear does not bolt to the back of the rotor.  The gear rides on a smooth bearing surface machined onto the back of the rotor.  The bearings allow the gear to remain stationary while the engine is running, and the starter clutch locks onto the bearing surface when the starter is turning.  You need a puller to remove the rotor assembly from the crank to get access to the starter gear and starter clutch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #16 - 08/05/13 at 18:17:20

Dave,

Thanks for the info on that.  So, it could be either the needle bearings in the center that ride on the shaft or the bearings in the clutch that are making noise?

Guess I have to pull it all apart to find out for sure which.  Or, would the better idea be to replace both and put in the torque limiting gear also?

Anybody have any idea how much that puller is?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/05/13 at 18:45:05

50-80

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #18 - 08/05/13 at 22:33:42

Steve H wrote on 08/04/13 at 08:02:08:
Hey PaulMarshall,

did you pull off the magnet wheel and check the driven gear and clutch?

I've got side to side movement on the driven gear and also noises when I rotate the gear backward.

I see the gear rides on needle bearings on the shaft and apparently the clutch rides on the outside cylindrical surface of the inner part of the gear.  Wonder if it messed up the needle bearings or the clutch? The engine was turning over then when it kicked back, dead lockup. I let off the starter button soon as it happened. When I hit it again, I had the noise but it started right up.

Hi Steve I see Dave has chimed in. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:39:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter problem ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.