Starter problem ? (Read 196 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Starter problem ?
07/30/13 at 19:48:39

'87, dyna muffler only mod, almost 24k miles, went to start it tonight and it kicked back.  Since kicking back, i've got noise from the starter gears.  It still starts fine but makes nasty noises.  

Does it sound like the gears got messed up?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Starter problem ?
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 20:34:17

Pop the left side case off (tilt bike over a lot and you might not have to drop out the load of oil) and look.

Do it now, before the gears tear themselves up even worse, or get in a bind and crack your steel gear spud off, busting your case boss open and making your engine into junk.

In tech section there is a mod to put an anti-kickback gear into the older bikes -- you can still do this if you haven't munched up the world yet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 07/31/13 at 13:31:04

Steve H wrote on 07/30/13 at 19:48:39:
'87, dyna muffler only mod, almost 24k miles, went to start it tonight and it kicked back.  Since kicking back, i've got noise from the starter gears.  It still starts fine but makes nasty noises.  

Does it sound like the gears got messed up?

I hate to say it but yes.  Sad
I had to replace mine, Luckily I had a spare engine.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 07/31/13 at 15:10:19

I was afraid that was what I was going to hear.  It won't get started again until I get the cover off and see what's up in there.

Anybody got a side cover and good inti-kickback gears they want to sell?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 07/31/13 at 15:50:14

You can keep using it. Mine made sounds like gears grinding for a year before I replaced the starter gear.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 07/31/13 at 16:54:56

That's about the type of sounds I get too.  No slipping or anything.  Just grinding sounds.

Did you pull the cover to see what it looked like before you kept running it?  What did it look like when you did pull the cover?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/31/13 at 16:58:07

Kinda depends on Just how messed up it is,, not everthing busts the same way,, open it, look around, if you cant find all the bits & pieces, drain oil & fish with a magnet, heck,, Id go fishin anyway,, doesnt take much junk, tiny bits of junk,,thru an oil pump, to skank it up.. Those gears break, the dont hafta break clean,, little tiny bits you may not even notice are missing,, not worth losin an engine 6 months down the road cuz your oil pump was slightly compromised.. Its not like they put out oodles of PSI,,
lose 10% efficiency & see where ya are..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 07/31/13 at 17:08:18

Steve H wrote on 07/31/13 at 16:54:56:
That's about the type of sounds I get too.  No slipping or anything.  Just grinding sounds.

Did you pull the cover to see what it looked like before you kept running it?  What did it look like when you did pull the cover?

I couldn't visually see anything when I opened it. It was the sound that told me what was wrong.
By all means get it fixed asap.I did leave it too long however it didn't do any damage, not saying it wont.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 08/02/13 at 17:20:41

Ok, Guys,
I read the tech thread.  Doesn't sound too terrible except that it'll cost $150 or so getting a cover and the gear. And it looks like I have to have a black cover.  Sad

What's the usual failure point?  I haven't pulled off the cover yet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/03/13 at 00:48:34

I havent been in there, but Ive heard there are washers involved & if you dont get them right the starter wont play

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 08/03/13 at 08:27:21

I pulled the cover last night.  Nothing in there looks the slightest bit damaged at all.  All gear teeth are perfect. All mounting holes are perfect, no cracks or enlargement.  No metal pieces of any kind. Magnet didn't find anything either.

The funny noise, from what I can tell, is coming from the driven gear behind the stator.  If you turn it backwards, it makes a funny noise for a few seconds then quietens.  I also noticed that this big gear will move side to side about 1.5mm. Is this normal?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/03/13 at 09:00:59

no not normal
check to see if the case isn't cracked

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 08/03/13 at 09:45:12

Engine cases looked perfect. I know there's a clutch in this big gear. could the clutch be messed up? This gear bolts to the back of the stator doesn't it? What's involved in getting the stator of to check it?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #13 - 08/03/13 at 13:25:10

Steve H wrote on 08/03/13 at 08:27:21:
I pulled the cover last night.  Nothing in there looks the slightest bit damaged at all.  All gear teeth are perfect. All mounting holes are perfect, no cracks or enlargement.  No metal pieces of any kind. Magnet didn't find anything either.

The funny noise, from what I can tell, is coming from the driven gear behind the stator.  If you turn it backwards, it makes a funny noise for a few seconds then quietens.  I also noticed that this big gear will move side to side about 1.5mm. Is this normal?

Like I said there was nothing to see. Only a terrible noise. I too could not see any damage to the starter gear but it was damaged.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 08/04/13 at 08:02:08

Hey PaulMarshall,

did you pull off the magnet wheel and check the driven gear and clutch?

I've got side to side movement on the driven gear and also noises when I rotate the gear backward.

I see the gear rides on needle bearings on the shaft and apparently the clutch rides on the outside cylindrical surface of the inner part of the gear.  Wonder if it messed up the needle bearings or the clutch? The engine was turning over then when it kicked back, dead lockup. I let off the starter button soon as it happened. When I hit it again, I had the noise but it started right up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter problem ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.