Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got parts and starting mods. Suggested order? (Read 178 times)
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Got parts and starting mods. Suggested order?
07/30/13 at 12:03:47

I'm about to start a few mods, got all the parts and would like to take a full day and get them all done. I was wondering whether it's best to start with one in particular, or if there are a couple that need to be done first before taking on the next. I'm mechanical, though I usually require good instructions. Here are my planned mods for an '05 S40 with 3200 miles on it and I'm at an elevation of 900ft:

A) Raptor petcock
B) Lancer's jet kit (plan on 52.5 pilot and 150 main)
C) K&M air filter (not a cone, but a high flow replacement for stock)
D) Dyna pipe, with ryca spacer and new 7" heat shield to cover joint
E) Oil and filter change
F) Pull engine/clutch cover and regasket (very slow leak seems to be originating there)
G) Relocate aftermarket rear turn signal lights to license plate bracket (for room for bags).
H) Install saddlebag supports
I) Install saddlebags

Assuming the last three can be done anytime, any advice on what to do first? Carb work has me most worried, but I can handle it. I'm assuming I'd drain oil, change filter, check the timing chain tensioner (didn't get the Versy mod), seal up the cover, pull carb and install jets, install petcock, change the air filter and put on the dyna and be good to go.

Am I nuts for trying this with only this site and my owners manual for reference? Really appreciate the advice, it'll help with my nerves for taking on so much (for me).

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Re: Got parts and starting mods. Suggested order?
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 12:09:21

F and E, leave petcock till it is needed.
Do the carb.  and then exhaust.

14365412   IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #2 - 07/30/13 at 12:17:16

thecoolerking wrote on 07/30/13 at 12:03:47:
Am I nuts for trying this with only this site and my owners manual for reference? Really appreciate the advice, it'll help with my nerves for taking on so much (for me).

If so, then we're a pair of nuts.  Grin

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/30/13 at 12:18:59

a... any time the tank is near empty.
e... you have a choice, after a ride or run it for a couple of minutes starting cold.  just enough to get all the dirt suspended but not get hot.

b,c,d,e & f together... less work.

Nuts? you need a bolt   Cool

any clarification you need, just post a question.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/30/13 at 12:31:35

Id grab a 1/4" ratchet & see if I could gently snug the side cover up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stealthmobile
YaBB Newbies

Play the grey!

whitehorse, yukon, canada
Reply #5 - 07/30/13 at 17:37:29

with all the nuts around here ,Planters might be out of work soon!!Toroso wrote on 07/30/13 at 12:17:16:
thecoolerking wrote on 07/30/13 at 12:03:47:

If so, then we're a pair of nuts.  Grin

'06 s40 stock (for now)
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #6 - 07/30/13 at 17:50:14

Thanks everyone. I think I'll get started on Friday with b-f.  Appreciate all the advice.

Good to be surrounded by so many mixed nuts. Told my HD friends what I was planning and they couldn't imagine it. They just take it down to the dealership, even to change oil.

Thanks again

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #7 - 07/30/13 at 17:52:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/30/13 at 12:31:35:
Id grab a 1/4" ratchet & see if I could gently snug the side cover up.

Good suggestion. I just left it because I was planning to replace the gasket soon.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 19:05:38

When you pull the clutch cover off, make sure to pull out the little rubber bung with the wire from the crankcase. Clean up really well, get all the oil out of there and seal it with some of the blue sensor safe silicone (or the grey Harley stuff, or the orange Yamaha stuff). The clear general purpose silicone isn't so oil resistant in my experience.

IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 19:42:27

gizzo wrote on 07/30/13 at 19:05:38:
When you pull the clutch cover off, make sure to pull out the little rubber bung with the wire from the crankcase. Clean up really well, get all the oil out of there and seal it with some of the blue sensor safe silicone (or the grey Harley stuff, or the orange Yamaha stuff). The clear general purpose silicone isn't so oil resistant in my experience.

Thanks. Got the copper high heat sensor safe rtv so that should work. Appears to be the same, just high heat.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/31/13 at 08:59:46

Carb removal for jets? Why, you can just loosen the clamps and turn the carb toward the drive side of the bike. Pop off the bowl, pull the float, swap jets and reassemble. Good project while the engine oil is draining.

Then swap your oil filter and add the new oil.

Air filter whenever you feel like it, same for the lights and the bag supports.

You can change the case gasket while the oil is out for an easier/cleaner job. FYI, no matter how well you seal up around it, the neutral position indicator wires will leak a bit unless you fully degrease the pass through and pack it with gasket goop. The base of my engine looks like an old AMF era Shovelhead there are so many weeping spots. You get used to it, just hose it off with brake cleaner occasionally.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #11 - 08/02/13 at 10:04:37

Thanks WD. I just assumed you'd have to remove. You know what they say about assuming though. Glad I caught your post before I got started. Oil's draining now. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 08/02/13 at 10:18:27

Carb will rotate either direction, mine goes best top toward belt, base toward brake. The base screws can be a bit of a nuisance to remove, But they will come out, couple drops of PB or similar penetrating oil helps a lot. And if a head strips, take them out with vise grips and go get stainless allen head versions.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #13 - 08/02/13 at 19:17:41

DONE! Looks and sounds awesome. Haven't ridden yet as I'm leaving the seat off to get the tail lights/bags installed tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the advice. The carb re-jet was a piece of cake. Did have to change the screws to stainless as the heads stripped on two. Getting old motor/clutch cover gasket scraped off with a bamboo stick and brake part cleaner was a time consuming chore. Then, the Dyna didn't want to mate to the adapter and line up well. Finally got it all lined up and secure and with the 7" shield it looks perfect. Sounds so much better. Can't wait to ride.

Thanks again! My friend helped me (handed me tools) and couldn't believe the support I got here. This place rocks!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 08/02/13 at 19:36:54

9 hours almost to the minute between our posts... not bad.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:33:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got parts and starting mods. Suggested order?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.