Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left turn in front of me today. (Read 142 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Left turn in front of me today.
07/29/13 at 21:52:32

Well I dodged, literally, the big one today. Good pavement. Downhill about 45 mph. I was looking into the sun late evening but no trouble seeing. Church on right with two entrances/exits about 100' apart. Three cars and a truck were headed toward me, truck in front. I got that feeling of danger we old guys get sometimes when the Ranger PU turned on his left blinker. He was probably more afraid of being rear ended than watching for me, all lit up by the sun. Sure enough, he turned right across in front of me. He stopped across the lane with no pavement left for me, BUT HE DID STOP and let me work it out. By then I had a handful of front disc and I don't even remember pumping the rear, but it squealed briefly. I was headed straight for his door when the front started to mush, so I let go of the brakes and drove around him on the slick asphalt and loose sand of the driveway. I just shook my head and kept going. He didn't see me and I would guess his wife saved me by shouting at him. The point here is I WAS HEADED INTO THE SIDE OF THAT TRUCK , but experience gained riding dirt years ago made me drive around an impossible situation. Keep good tires on your bike and practice dodging items placed in an empty parking lot. You will learn to trust your instincts and the severe lean angles required to dodge danger. And please don't start the stuff about kicking doors and fighting. I'm not mad. Just grateful.  Smiley    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Left turn in front of me today.
Reply #1 - 07/29/13 at 22:28:56

Ya done GOOD!,, Hard to do anything but grab brakes & pray,, you kept thinking,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/29/13 at 22:32:12

Stay flexible... do yoga...
Grin...

Glad yer' okay...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 07/30/13 at 00:49:09

Gotta love ol' dirt bike days... taught you well grasshopper! Me too.....in tight spots of no return, let the bike angle equal the turn and stay on top! keep the front wheel pointed where you want to go and let instincts take over....ever hear of drifting? you drift all of 3 seconds...brake slows you down, gas makes you go right/left and somehow you end up past the head on....how did that happen?  I'll never know...but it worked for me... Undecided

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/30/13 at 04:48:13

You did good......it sure is scary when that happens and you think about how fast your life can drastically change.

I often wonder how many street riders are inept at using the front brake when they need it.  Like you I spent a great deal of my youth riding and racing in the dirt, and learning how to use the front brake.  Without the front brake those steep muddy downhills would have been improssible, and when racing the ability to go deep into the corner with some really hard braking was a common method of passing.  I still hone that skill on my trials motorycle, and every time I stop on my Savage the front brake is used.  I can't help but feel that people that learned to ride on the street are missing that skill....I am not sure how you learn that skill on the street.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 07/30/13 at 05:59:56

Its ALWAYS good to hear when an accident is avoided. I have to admit I am a little shaken by the guy I met in Chattanooga... 3 bike wrecks and he has had to give up riding.
Split skull... with big ole scar from eye to scalp
Pins in left leg
cracked vertebra

I really do not want to end up like him.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/30/13 at 06:16:42

Way to keep a cool head, glad you emerged unscathed  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/30/13 at 06:45:44

Pine wrote on 07/30/13 at 05:59:56:
Its ALWAYS good to hear when an accident is avoided. I have to admit I am a little shaken by the guy I met in Chattanooga... 3 bike wrecks and he has had to give up riding.
Split skull... with big ole scar from eye to scalp
Pins in left leg
cracked vertebra

I really do not want to end up like him.

I  try to get their stories, when I meet them, I hope to learn how to not get like them,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 07:03:32

Congratulations for avoiding a tragedy and for being level headed and understanding and for not kicking doors and resorting to violence.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
chiguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago area
Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 19:03:32

It seems easy to get upset at other drivers when things like this happens, but it is certainly a factor that the other drivers really don't "see" motorcycles.  I think there is a name for that phenomenon (I don't recall it right now), but the mind sometimes doesn't perceive what it is not expecting or looking for.  I think we've all seen one or another of those videos where you count the times a team passes a basketball, and some guy in a gorilla suit walks into the middle and waves, but you never see him because you're concentrating on the other action.

There was one time a couple years back where I was riding east (sun was high so not a factor) in a 4 lane divided highway, and someone was in a left turn lane, stopped, ready to turn in front of me.  At the point of no return, I saw them start to go.  The only thought running through my head was that of buying the farm - there was really no time to do much of any maneuver (and I won't claim to be overly adept at extreme maneuvers anyway.)  But all of a sudden, the car stopped, and I passed by without incident.  I've always thought that what happened was that they didn't "see" me, but at the last moment, in the back of their brain, something said, "hey, what's that really bright orange thing - that's not supposed to be there", and they realized they should stop.  When I ride, I always wear a super bright neon orange armored jacket, and I'm convinced that wearing something so highly visible just might have saved my bacon that day.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 07/30/13 at 20:00:26

Good deal Boofer! Glad you came out ok.

Dave......the thing about the front brake is that when I learned to ride "way back when", it was accepted as fact that the front brake "will get ya killed" and should be left alone. Many scoots even had the front brake removed.

The MSF Rider Education course I took three years ago taught me how to use AND control the front brake. Now it's 90% front brake for me,even in the rain!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #11 - 07/30/13 at 22:27:10

Glad you are safe, Boofer.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 07/31/13 at 09:12:37

ZAR wrote on 07/30/13 at 20:00:26:
Good deal Boofer! Glad you came out ok.

Dave......the thing about the front brake is that when I learned to ride "way back when", it was accepted as fact that the front brake "will get ya killed" and should be left alone. Many scoots even had the front brake removed.

The MSF Rider Education course I took three years ago taught me how to use AND control the front brake. Now it's 90% front brake for me,even in the rain!

I still rely on the rear brake. If my bike had a nice set of tls drums front and rear, I'd be more inclined to use the brakes as a pair. The sls stock drum is a joke, but the front brake on mine is worse tan the rear, so... Never has worked right, even with EBC pads instead of the stock ones.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/01/13 at 01:49:39

Whats the deal w/ your front brake WD?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 08/01/13 at 08:48:13

We burryed a frind of mine Wensday couse someone turned left in a blind curve infront of his yhama 1300.   He laided the bike down and then the bike fliped sideways throwing him hard into the pavement then he  bounced into the car with the bike crashing into the car right behing him.   Killed him instantly.  Sad

????

Makes me shudder at the thought of all the blind curves out there and driving too fast around them !

How about those bikes with double front disk that will pick-up the rear tire when applied ???    "REAL BREAKING POWER"   Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:21:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Left turn in front of me today.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.