Send Topic Print
Rough Idle (Read 65 times)
Tm96s40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rough Idle
07/27/13 at 12:59:22

Hello.  I am new here.  I bought a beautiful 1996 Savage that had only 4600 miles on it in SoCal.  I have put about 600 miles on it and it recently started to have a rough idle (it did not have this when I bought it).  As I started with the basics - checked the air filter and started looking at the bike, I noticed that I have a leak that appears to be dripping from a box under the bike.  This is a CA edition bike.  Is this the vapor box?  I ask because I did not get the OEM manual with the bike, but have picked up couple on-line and they refer to a vapor hose - only for CA models.  Any suggestions on what to do?  Again this all started with a rough idle.  Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rough Idle
Reply #1 - 07/27/13 at 13:40:33

1st thing is check your petcock

use the link below, go down to petcocks

what you want is "test your petcock"

WWW   IP Logged
Tm96s40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/27/13 at 15:49:39

Turns out it was pretty basic (as I said earlier I am new to this).  Maybe someone else can learn from this as well.  The bike had not been run in a couple of weeks.  My son then ran it for a couple of days and let the tank empty (almost).  When I got on it, it had a rough idle.  I then filled the tank, thinking there may water in the line.  Still rough idle, so I bought parts (o-rings, gaskets, and fuel line for fuel thingy) to clean out the fuel thingy and empty the tank - thinking there may be some debris in the line.  Today I started the bike up - let it run for a few minutes and played with the idle - noticed the leak.  Long story short - according to my local mechanic - fuel probably separated and caused the rough idle.  The leak that I saw and described was probably weeping from overfilling the tank.  Bike runs fine now.  Didn't do anything except let it run.  I got some fuel stabilizer to prevent it from happening again.

IP Logged
Tm96s40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/27/13 at 16:00:43

funny editing - just noticed that there is an auto editor on this.  I wrote fuelcock with a space in between and it came out as fuel thingy.  Oh well.  I wasn't trying to be crude.  That's just what the manual calls it.  Another word for petcock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:24:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rough Idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.