Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What do the 2 vent hoses on the carb do? (Read 172 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
What do the 2 vent hoses on the carb do?
07/26/13 at 08:22:10

What do the 2 vent hoses on the carb. do, and what are the symptoms if one of them was clogged?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What do the 2 vent hoses on the carb do?
Reply #1 - 07/26/13 at 09:26:50

They vent... Grin...

you have to allow air to get out of the float bowl, to allow fuel to get in... and to allow the engine to draw fuel...

Don't know if only one was clogged would cause anything, but keep them both clear and open anyway...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - 07/26/13 at 09:56:37

The reason I ask is last Friday on my way home my bike started acting like it was running out of gas so I switched to reserve (mine has a raptor petcock) and it didn't make any difference it still died.  So I pushed it to the gas station and when I took off the gas cap I could still see fuel in the tank and it was at a level where the reserve pickup would have been submerged but the bike wouldn't start, I filled the tank up and was able to ride the rest of the way home.  Last night I drained all of the fuel out of the tank first from the on position until it stopped  flowing and the switched to reserve and the tank was pretty much empty, so I took the vent lines off of blew into both of them and one was clogged with some kind of bug.  So would one clogged line cause my bike to not run with low fuel and the tank set to reserve?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/26/13 at 10:37:42

I don't think so... and the fuel level in the tank wouldn't matter at all...

When you drained the tank,.. did you do it with the gas cap off?...
I ask,.. because your symptom might be caused by a blocked gas cap vent... (the tank needs to breathe for the same reason as the float bowl,...to allow fuel to flow)...
...if you drained the tank with the cap on,.. it is obviously venting okay...

IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #4 - 07/26/13 at 11:04:21

I put a rubber boot over one and let the other one vent. If you open the float bowl you will see that it is just two unrestricted passages to allow air in and out or let's it "vent"

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 07/26/13 at 11:23:11

I drained the tank with the gas cap on, because I thought the same thing that maybe the cap wasn't venting, but after it drained without issue I started looking at the carb.  I cleaned the carb, very thorough but it never occurred to me to check the vent hoses for obstructions.

IP Logged
becca
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/26/13 at 17:02:40

So i opened the gas cap and it shot air and gas out as a mist as i was taking it off..not venting? if so how do i allow it to vent with the cap on?? also my bike keeps dieing at a certain rpm...over and over please help meh!

ok real fast before i get blown up....so it was stock when we bought it and it ran fine...buddy road it on the POW-MIA ride awhile back was aloooooong day and aside of it making a VERY loud pop when turned off...it ran fine.
SO since then i put a cone air filter on it and a raptor petcock, 0.55 pilot and 152.5 main(i think) and of course capped the vacuum inlet on the carb...
bike boggs down and dies, can hear fuel gurgling off and on as the bike is OFF and just sitting there...air box was full of gas? only thing going to the airbox is the breather hose from the carbs....and the breather from the cylinder head...anyway so yeah wtf is going on? I dont understand it and am thinking i should revert back to stock!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/26/13 at 17:14:32

The cap is supposed to vent.. sounds like yours isnt,, look it over,, or, take it apart

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/26/13 at 17:19:51

becca wrote on 07/26/13 at 17:02:40:
So i opened the gas cap and it shot air and gas out as a mist as i was taking it off..not venting? if so how do i allow it to vent with the cap on?? also my bike keeps dieing at a certain rpm...over and over please help meh!

ok real fast before i get blown up....so it was stock when we bought it and it ran fine...buddy road it on the POW-MIA ride awhile back was aloooooong day and aside of it making a VERY loud pop when turned off...it ran fine.
SO since then i put a cone air filter on it and a raptor petcock, 0.55 pilot and 152.5 main(i think) and of course capped the vacuum inlet on the carb...
bike boggs down and dies, can hear fuel gurgling off and on as the bike is OFF and just sitting there...air box was full of gas? only thing going to the airbox is the breather hose from the carbs....and the breather from the cylinder head...anyway so yeah wtf is going on? I dont understand it and am thinking i should revert back to stock!

Sounds like you might be a bit rich...  I'd try a #150/ 52.5 combo...

As far as the cap... you can try soaking it in carb cleaner, but that's expensive... I'd take it apart and spray clean it...
...(or, if you have a compressor... spray some cleaner in the keyhole, and blast some air through it)...
Best luck...

IP Logged
becca
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/26/13 at 17:25:37

...(or, if you have a compressor... spray some cleaner in the keyhole, and blast some air through it)...
Best luck... [/quote]

So its suppose to vent through the key hole?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/26/13 at 17:28:56

Yup,... except Cali models... they have a tube going to a filter canister...
So, those caps don't vent...
You in Cali?...

IP Logged
becca
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/26/13 at 17:40:58

sure am not, located in maryland at the moment...ok so what about the rest of the problems? jetting you think with fix my sputtering/dieing past "said" rpm range?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/26/13 at 18:42:23

Ooops... sorry Bec,... I missed a part of the post...
Fuel in the airbox...
You had a stuck float... it might not happen again,.. if it does, you can sometimes free the floats by tapping the bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver... if it happens too often,.. you need to pull the bowl and see what's up... They could be sticking, not floating anymore, or the float needle/seat could be dirty or dried out...

IP Logged
becca
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/26/13 at 19:53:59

that is some very bad news then lol i just put the smaller jets in earlier and a new gasket along with a new float needle filter, o ring and float needle....now im wondering if the float is bad?...is there a way to lube the float/needle so it operates properly? and is that a possible explanation as to why my bike keeps dieing at high rpm?(moving or not)( i can just hold the throttle and it sputters and dies after about 2 mins of high rpm) Too much gas? vaccum not working because i did the raptor mod and now its flooding at high rpm?...lol sorry but i really am lost with this and have taken the carb apart too many times

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #14 - 07/26/13 at 21:46:00

I had the same problem with gas in my air box. It was also coming out of my vent Ports on the carb. I got a new float needle (<$30) and that completely fixed that issue.  It might be dying because it's too rich?

'87, FREE!, Raptor petcock, 22,000 miles.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What do the 2 vent hoses on the carb do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.