Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does Suzuki just not pay attention to detail? (Read 421 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Does Suzuki just not pay attention to detail?
Reply #15 - 07/29/13 at 21:26:04

I think you may be looking for the Yugo Forum.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Reply #16 - 07/30/13 at 10:53:04

I had an 82 Suzuki GS1100E I bought new and bent the crank at around 700 miles. I took it in for the 600 mile check and they said all was good. Rode it up to Big Bear and on the way back did a hard pull from a stop sign and boom, hard knock. They replaced it and it went another 50,000 miles before the cam chain had to be replaced. I enjoyed the bike but haven't bought another Suzuki until I found a Savage I couldn't pass up.

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #17 - 07/30/13 at 11:23:39

This happened also me, bent crank, GS500 1981. They replace it and put on 550cc cylinders.

14365412   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/30/13 at 11:43:26

My Suzuki experience is mostly with 1970's era dirt bikes.  I owned 3 of them and rode them a lot......and they always ran well, shifted well.....handled OK.  Some of my racing success was due to the fact that the riders on european bikes would often miss a shift - while my bike seldom did.  I think back on how I would ride on rounded knobbies....as I could not afford a new $ 25 knobby tire every year!  Reliability was a strong point for Suzuki at that time.

My current Suzuki Savage experience is not steller.  I bought a bike with 262 miles on it and at 400 miles it started ticking, and at 1,262 miles the engine was apart to fix a left crank bearing and a loose flywheel nut.  I am not sure what caused it - but it is fixed and for now the bike runs great.

I wonder if the problems are that the manufacturing of parts may no longer be in Japan - but can be from China, India, etc.  I do believe tha the design and technology that we have in our bikes today is superior to what we had available in the 70's - but I am not yet convinced that the quality of the parts today is as good as it used to be.  This problem may not be limited to Suzuki, and may include any manufacturer that outsources their manufacturing.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/30/13 at 12:35:52

Interesting dave, I had a counterbalancer bearing go on an '02.
it was the cage that broke allowing the balls to rub together.
riveting is a lost science and no good way to check each one after assembly.
the other bearing looks good and so do the mains.
these are oiled by proximity to splashing oil, a couple of small changes could send runoff directly thru the cb bearings.  but not sure if it's really an issue.

WWW   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #20 - 08/07/13 at 21:09:03

I know 2 guys that got 50,000 miles on the cam chain tensioner.  One of them ran Suzuki oil. I don't know why some go quicker than others.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #21 - 08/09/13 at 23:30:42

I think of the Big 4 Suzuki has the less R+D and the worst quality. For a while they worked on the GS750 and made it possibly the best sport bike in the world. I believe their R+D is almost gone and quality has gone downhill. As a FSO I put up with the mechanical shortcomings because we want to ride an antique. I would love to have a Royal Enfield but their price is frigging crazy. If Triumph would build a 500 single I would be finding me a bank that would loan me the money. Honda hit a good lick with their 250 single, has about the same HP and performance as the Savage, maybe a little more But I think its fugly. I woulnt ride one. They're selling about all they can make. Plus the fact they handle like a dream and get 70mpg. I hope that's a sign singles are coming back. Maybe a well known secret is getting out. You don't have to have 100HP to have fun. The café renaissance is proving that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 08/11/13 at 21:02:11

Well !

I did put an angle grinder to my belt to add some chamfer to it and guess what ????  The belt squeel went away !!!!   before that I just added some Chain Wax or Shoe Wax either one . Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 18:21:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Does Suzuki just not pay attention to detail?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.