Pines TN trip... (Read 48 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Pines TN trip...
07/25/13 at 19:06:01

First .. Big thanks to WD and (Doug and Donny) up in TN. Thanks to them I have new rear tire all nice and mounted and confab on the bike indicates my other possible issues.

Second.... danabbit.. i took my camera and forgot to take ANY pictures. Oh well just a bunch of southern boys in the heat wrenching on bikes. It was mighty nice and green there.. God has been kind to them with the weather if the trees, grass, and corn speak to such.

This trip had two goals:
1) move my daughter from one house to another
2) accept the tire offered by WD, as well as get advice on the bike

My daughter lives in Oxford MS... now famous as the college town that the "The Blind Side" movie took place in. Ole Miss( this is about an hours ride from Memphis)

Seems the house I moved her into  back in June wasnt working out.. with others leaving... those she didn't know moving in.. and everyone wanting her to saddle up as the utilities master.  So I loaded up my savage in a U-haul bike trailer.. and headed to Oxford. The last time I moved her it took 3 trips.. but by unloading the bike and using the trailer... presto! one trip. That took up all of Wednesday.. By "dark-30" I was on the road to Memphis. I found a hotel that I thought would be in the general direction I would need to go to head to WD's in the morn. Dabnab hotel was a soilid C-note. Which wouldn't be so bad.. but  my window was right below the hotel sign and the light peeking in was brighter than day. Sleep was fitful at best.
I did get the bright idea to once again unload the bike and use it to ride a few streets down to hit the Cracker-barrel for dinner. Must have been hungry and thirsty.. I all but licked the plate clean. Good food and service ( though as usual a bit too salty)

Up the next morn, "free breakfast" . WD said not to be before 9.. well duh... I was NOT in a hurry to hit I-240 at morning rush! About 10, I was out checking the bike... the straps... loading up. I head out and hit 40-west .. wrong direction... I do a u-turn and go up over the inter-state.. having to stop .. I hear a thud... when I start up I hear a thud-wonk! The trailer is sitting on the ground along with the entire ball assembly... no shear pin!... I mean its not there...
Two nice young guys help me get the ball out the trailer, and re-assemble everything using a big ole screwdriver as the shear pin. It works to get me 100ft to the gas station.. ( you know the ones at every off ramp.. that sell food and gas... and nothing else?)  Haha.. off comes the bike  and with directions to the local Auto-zone. I find a replacement shear pin. While putting the pin in place  a guy walks up and asks how much the trailer is.. I tell him and he says he had loaded up his in the back of his truck ONCE... and never would again.  While strapping the bike back down another guy came over to help and talk bikes and he got me squared away with how to get to Rosemark.

The rest of the travel was uneventful ( thankfully). The WD "plantation" is a rather impressive sight.. or will be when the "big house" is finished. Being this is the country we were able to park in the yard ( almost in the shade)  and just worked on the bike there on the trailer. With the wheel off we went to Donny's house to use the tire changing machine ( human powered, by Doug) Lots of good banter... mostly about Memphis... and other locals. The new tire is  Dunlop Qualifier with raise while letters... now I want a front tire to match!!!!
After we got the tire all re-installed we went over the other issues. The rubber plug that I swear isnt  4 months old ( on the petcock carb port) is leaking already.... double dabnabbit. And the muffle is leaking at the manifold ( I figured as much) .. but other than that WD gave it the thumbs up. ( though I thinks its a little too stock for his tastes).

I got back home about 7:30.. and took the trailer back.. I am tired puppy.

« Last Edit: 07/26/13 at 05:40:22 by Pine »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Pines TN trip...
Reply #1 - 07/25/13 at 22:19:08

Thanks for the trip report,, You coulda had a real bad event,, glad all is well,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/26/13 at 00:22:51

Pine wrote on 07/25/13 at 19:06:01:
Second.... danabbit.. i took my camera and forgot to take ANY pictures.

This is not a forgivable offense...
It requires a do-over...
Repack your bags....

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 07/26/13 at 05:47:53

PS: I forgot to mention: out the outskirts of Memphis ( headed home) I caught the beginnings of 5PM traffic.. at one point the entire right lane was STOPPED at an off-ramp. Well to motorcycle cops had tucked in behind the trailer and were right behind me when I had to make this full stop.. yep one of them locked up his rear tire coming to a stop. That was scary...

PPS: when i got home my wife asked " so wheres my chair?" CRAP.. I was suppose to stop BACK by my daughters house and pick up an unwanted recliner. Now she wants me to go back this tomorrow!!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/26/13 at 06:45:27

Oh, you expect the repairs on the old manor house to actually get finished? Then you'll be disappointed. The replacement columns are almost done, but the tongue and groove oak porch ceiling is trying to fall out now that the front is almost squared up again. Attic needs new insulation and flooring. Chimneys are plugged solid, the east one has doves living in the top of it, and 2 of the 3 are separating from the house again, 170+ years of settling can do that...

You forgot to raid the okra patch... could have picked most if not all of it, I'll likely just till it under.

Too stock? Not going there, was surprised you test sat the cut down seat, higher rear shocks and 15" apes on mine... wish I could have fired it up to side by side a stock muffler with my barely baffled set up. Really need to finish my electrical...

Bring a fishing pole or a bag of cherry bombs next time you come up here... you only saw a tiny part of the place. Heck, I might even clean the forge building out enough to use it again.

Oh, it's worth getting away from the loop before finding a motel. Next time run 51 north to Millington or Atoka. Atoka is all of 8 or 9 miles from the house.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:23:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pines TN trip...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.