Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Briefcase Supercomputer - I wasn't jokin' (Read 122 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Briefcase Supercomputer - I wasn't jokin'
07/23/13 at 20:12:52

http://liliputing.com/2013/07/lilbits-7-23-2013-supercomputers-on-the-cheap.html

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-e...

The picture below is sorta deceptive because each slightly longer than a credit card board is a complete Ubuntu computer and each board has its own 64 core count custom designed superchip on it BESIDES the dual core A9 chip that does the traffic management & graphics and all the other stuff that a computer needs.

Stop and read the goodies up top -- they really ARE building a briefcase (or lunch pail) supercomputer for you to use.

"Once completed, the 64-core version of the Parallella computer would deliver over 90 GFLOPS of performance and would have the the horse power comparable to a theoretical 45 GHz CPU [64 CPU cores * 700MHz] on a board the size of a credit card while consuming only 5 Watts under typical work loads."

And then you stack up the little bitches vertically to get up into the teraflop range using the two expansion connectors per card and four little motherboard spacer screw thingies .....  no case required as the 64 each multi core is RF shielded already.  

Passive air cooling is still good since the each card only pulls 5 watts at max current draw.   The stack pictured below pulls less power than a single Intel I5 or I7 chip by itself.

So, for what you used to pay for a computer, you can build up this thingie at $99 per card up to whatever sort of whacked fantasy you have for a REAL computing power ARM based machine.   And you come up with a clever case to carry it around (say a big cigar box???).

But no, it doesn't run Windows -- it runs Linux like all good supercomputers should do.

So now I have a quandary -- should I buy an $800 Ubuntu PC in my phone or a stack of 8 of these little jewels ?  

Oh, what to do, what to do .....      Cheesy    

And once I built it, what would I ever use it for?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Briefcase Supercomputer - I wasn't jokin'
Reply #1 - 07/24/13 at 08:03:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/23/13 at 20:12:52:

http://liliputing.com/2013/07/lilbits-7-23-2013-supercomputers-on-the-cheap.html

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-e...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/225/981/43c4b513ab596eacb98f861f4086d...

The picture below is sorta deceptive because each slightly longer than a credit card board is a complete Ubuntu computer and each board has its own 64 core count custom designed superchip on it BESIDES the dual core A9 chip that does the traffic management & graphics and all the other stuff that a computer needs.

Stop and read the goodies up top -- they really ARE building a briefcase (or lunch pail) supercomputer for you to use.

"Once completed, the 64-core version of the Parallella computer would deliver over 90 GFLOPS of performance and would have the the horse power comparable to a theoretical 45 GHz CPU [64 CPU cores * 700MHz] on a board the size of a credit card while consuming only 5 Watts under typical work loads."

And then you stack up the little bitches vertically to get up into the teraflop range using the two expansion connectors per card and four little motherboard spacer screw thingies .....  no case required as the 64 each multi core is RF shielded already.  

Passive air cooling is still good since the each card only pulls 5 watts at max current draw.   The stack pictured below pulls less power than a single Intel I5 or I7 chip by itself.

So, for what you used to pay for a computer, you can build up this thingie at $99 per card up to whatever sort of whacked fantasy you have for a REAL computing power ARM based machine.   And you come up with a clever case to carry it around (say a big cigar box???).

But no, it doesn't run Windows -- it runs Linux like all good supercomputers should do.

So now I have a quandary -- should I buy an $800 Ubuntu PC in my phone or a stack of 8 of these little jewels ?  

Oh, what to do, what to do .....      Cheesy    

And once I built it, what would I ever use it for?

http://liliputing.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/parallel...

1st suggestion ... design a new cylinder head for the LS650 engine with bigger valves and functional exhaust ports.   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/24/13 at 08:25:03

Youre building one?
Fo' Real??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/24/13 at 09:30:03

I think he's pointing out that I don't need a briefcase supercomputer any more than I need a one off head to go build a superSavage with.

SuperSavages are nice, but you have to be crazy enough to twist the throttle open all the way to use it and up in the curvies those opportunities are rare enough anyway.

Lancer, it is fun to watch it unfold.   The phone world is really changing a lot really really quickly.   Our Savage was designed 30+ years ago for crying out loud, it is a friggin' rolling antique now-a-days.  

Even Hurleys have evolved in that time frame (some, a little bit) .....

And in two years I will get an upgraded cell phone (or 4 years if I just choose to keep my existing phone for another cycle)

Plus, a nitrous kit only cost $350 for a nice one ....     Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/24/13 at 11:23:06

I was just having fun with the thought of computers, which do all sorts of designs on things before a prototype is actually made, in order to save time and money on development.
It would be fun to have a properly designed head on the LS engine.
The LS650 head was purposely made this way for low power use, while the DR650 head was not.
Anyway, it was just a whimsical thought.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/24/13 at 11:32:18

Lancer have you looked at the Honda 500 CC twins they have just come out with?   I swear the engine looks like a single you just look at it.  It has got two pipes coming out of the head but that is OK because they are some singles that already have two pipes coming out of the engine head.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/24/13 at 13:45:20

Cigar Box Super Computer

Even my long range predictions are getting  drastically improved upon when they come true.    Here is the currently offered $600 four board cluster set that does run Ubuntu in addition to all the major supercomuter programming languages.

Sorry for the slow load on the big detailed pic, but there is a penny below the board so you can see how durn tiny the thing really really is (just slide the slider over to the middle position).

90 gigaflops per board      Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/24/13 at 13:59:27

And here are the builders, proving out the first batch of boards really can stack up endlessly to far beyond anything you have ever even dreamed of dreaming about owning personally ....

There are some universities and such that are going to like this sort of thing a LOT, as right now the price tags on research level supercomputers are in the 10's of millions, not in the 10's of hundreds type price range.

"Johnson, you need to stay late tonight and feed that problem into Big Blue down in the basement."

"That's OK prof, here are the results already.  I ran it last night on my Parallela in my dorm room."

Roll Eyes      let's see 2 stacks of 20 cards X 90 gigaflops per card  =  3,600 gigaflops or 3.6 teraflops

OK, what does this mean?

"1971 - CDC 7600 broke the megaflop barrier (1 million floating point operations in one second).
1976 - Cray-1 was built in Cray Research plant in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. NSA bought the Cray-1 and a second Cray-1.
1986 - Cray-2 broke the gigaflop limit.
1997 - Intel's ASCI Red broke the teraflop limit (one trillion flops per second - 1,000,000,000,000 floating point operations per second).
1998 - Cray went broke and was purchased by Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI).
1999 - NSA funded SGI's Cray SV2 program to develop a new super computer. This followed the realization by NSA that massively parallel computers may not be as efficient as super computers. The peak speed of the Cray SV2 is expected to be in the tens of teraflops (more than ten trillion floating point operations per second)."

Hmmmm Cray SV2 -- that was basement sized wasn't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/24/13 at 14:25:34

Here is a review by an electronics publication, Eetimes.com.

Note:  -- the reporter dude got so excited talking to the man doing this one he's now part of the kickstarter group.

http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=14&doc_id=1286691

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/24/13 at 16:15:24

You might be drawing more power to cool that thing then to run it   Cool

or is that to keep the operator happy?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
chiguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago area
Reply #10 - 07/24/13 at 18:37:13

This is very cool.  I had thought the Raspberry Pi project was pretty neat, but this is over the top.  I see that there is an HDMI connection.  It wasn't clear: does that imply that there is some kind of graphics capability on the card, or do you have to rsh in or something?  Looks like this would be a blast for someone with time on their hands.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 07/24/13 at 19:18:47

Wish i was smart enought to do something with it... if so i already have job for it. Currently ther are thousands of folks "mining" crypto currency. IF Bitcoin, then they use custom ASICS.. if Litecoin ( what I do) its GPU cards. I currently run 3 in my PC and 2 in my sons PC.. mostly 24/7. The cards cost $150 to $350 each and suck down power and generate heat like no tomorrow.. in fact its a big issue, as the profits can be tiny... and if power costs ( in your area) exceed the profits .. well your out of the game. Not to mention allthe profits the GPU makers are getting. Lastly, of course the GPU's while computing giants are pretty much either one trick ponys or you gotta know how to get otehr work out of them. (oh, and ALL cryto started out as CPU only programs)....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/24/13 at 19:48:53

chiguy wrote on 07/24/13 at 18:37:13:
This is very cool.  I had thought the Raspberry Pi project was pretty neat, but this is over the top.  I see that there is an HDMI connection.  It wasn't clear: does that imply that there is some kind of graphics capability on the card, or do you have to rsh in or something?  Looks like this would be a blast for someone with time on their hands.

Every card has a A-9 on it to provide HDMI video, I/O and other services.   Every card is a complete PC.   Every card can run Ubuntu by itself (or in parallel with other cards).

If you read just my blurbs about this new stuff - that generally provides just very minimal information.   Links to more complete information are always provided (generally up at the top) but it requires you to click on the links and READ all the stuff therein and click on the links contained inside that stuff to go to new stuff and read that.   It takes some time to get caught up with a new concept like this.

Having done some of that, I would WAIT until the 28nm 64 core Epiphany chipsets are produced (to give that first wave of 16 core Epiphany chips some time to generate all the bugs and driver issues, etc. and to get them all fixed) and to give it time for the Ubuntu version to solidify somewhat.

By then you will also have a good grasp on what practical use the thing will actually be to you -- I get the impression that some real rocket scientists are interested in these things for some heavy duty serious uses.

But these are also the same people who write their own applications in raw code.   They can get past a lot of little speed bumps that would stop you or I stone cold.    We are looking for speed running canned applications and apps, which does not require this level of computing power.   What we need and want is a great balance of CPU speed and GPU speed and balance in the I/O systems to support all that.

This thing is Severely Out of Balance on the CPU side, mega strong on computing and number crunching, but not so hot playing video games I would suspect.

================

But yes, the 8-9 year olds who first learn how to program something simple on a Pi might graduate into something like this by the time they go to college and graduate.   It would be the cat's meow to help you with a doctorate dissertation.

By the time that occurs we will be down at 10nm or better, and the power these things could fling would be 100x more per card than this first one being show at this particular point in time.

=================

Still, it throws "BS on that" to the idea that a bunch of little ARM cores can't parallel process into data crunching numbers that are seriously powerful, equal to or better to far more expensive Intel X86 chips.

The first 64 bit ARM A-53 littles (next summer) will also be a candidate for this sort of power multiplication trick.   8 of them will be quite kick ass compared to the normal software needs for anything you can generally do in Ubuntu Linux or Android.    

And bet on it, somebody is gonna come up with a small slotted rack with metal RF shielded heat spreader "plug in" processor cards that can stack up a lot more than 8 each of the A53 littles per plug in card, making up QUITE A LOT of computing power for, as you can see, for not very much money or space.

They are thinking about it as we speak.

CAD drawings already exist for the rack.

The card format is an industry standard plug in card format, so the connection system is off the shelf for the plug in rack system.  The stuff is just a little "big" for the tiny arm chips on the card, so you can fill the card up with A-53s without stretching the contacts, etc for power carry, etc.

Major data center hardware companies are building this sort of stuff AS WE SPEAK because the raw power savings needed to run the thing is HUGE and you get 4 times that much savings again from not needing the humongous cooling systems that a data center requires today.

Last time I researched it, you could throw away your current IBM or Calexdra or Intel or Dell data center and completely pay for a much more powerful ARM data center inside of one year on the direct energy savings alone.

A one year ROI on a durable good is a no brainer, the bean counters just write you a check on the spot.   They LOVE them one year ROI projects.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:28:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Briefcase Supercomputer - I wasn't jokin'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.