Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone installed an aftermarket tachometer? (Read 295 times)
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Anyone installed an aftermarket tachometer?
07/23/13 at 15:30:21

Kinda surprised that my bike did not come with a factory tachometer and I'd like to add one.

Any ideas?

Al

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Anyone installed an aftermarket tachometer?
Reply #1 - 07/23/13 at 16:07:34

Many on the forum will say you don't need one as it is difficult if not impossible to over rev the bike. I got one from Catalyst Cycles in Virginia. It is cheap and generic and looks ok to me, if you want to spend money there are fancy Baron Bullet ones. Ebay has many generic types and the techies seem to prefer a multi functional Vaportrail thingy. There is a thread in the tech section, Tachometers known to work on the Savage S40. You need a dual fire one as that is what our ignition system does. For best night results get a white face black dial one, if you go analogue as they are easier to read at night.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 07/23/13 at 20:34:45

I bought one of these. just wrap an induction wire around the spark plug wire.two zip ties and your done.Mine works good. two years old already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Tach-Hour-Meter-Tachometer-Gauge-Spark-Plugs-...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/24/13 at 00:05:24

Is it cool havin a tach,, Uh Huhh,, I came real close to addin one,,but, Ive got 20,000 miles on it, ran th POO out of it. Never needed that tach,, Ive got one in the pickup, cuz its a 6 banger & I try to shift as quick as I can, using the torque, not wanting to lug it & knowing the rpm helps. On this bike? ITs just a coolness factor thing,, not at all needed IMO., If youre runnin hard, youll change gears long before the engine could ever be hurt, because itll stop accelerating. Are ya worried youll lug it by changing gears too soon? If You do, you wont do it long enough or enough times to hurt it before ya get the feel for when to shift,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #4 - 07/24/13 at 00:09:51

Ive got the same one as Rl153. Works great for diagnostic purposes.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 07/24/13 at 03:05:28

I have one of these, connected to the +12V side of the coil (not the +15000 V!  Shocked)

The 8000 rpm tachos are best, no point in buying a 12000 rpm tacho considering the Savage sill redline at 6500 rpm and you'll be put-putting around town at 3000-4000 most of the time.

Whoever says "you don't need a tach"... well... you don't need a stopwatch to know when you're out of breath, either, but custom cruisers are the only bikes without a tach... there's got to be a reason...

Hey! Even Harleys have tachos !!!   Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/24/13 at 06:58:40

You don't "need" a tach to ride this bike for the next 100,000 miles.  You shift when the engine is going too fast or too slow.....after a bit of riding on this bike you will know when to shift up or down.  It is nice to have a tach to help set the idle properly to keep the oil pressure up.....but other than that there is really no need for a tach.

Having said that......my bike has a Vapor from Trail Tech that is a tach, speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, engine temp, outside temp, clock, engine hour meter and elapsed time meter.  I love it!  

IMG_0911.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 07/24/13 at 11:14:31

The reason I like the tach is to make sure my idle isn't too low.I meant to ask ,is 1500 rpm too high,and whats the   problem with that?Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/24/13 at 11:33:12

rl153 wrote on 07/24/13 at 11:14:31:
The reason I like the tach is to make sure my idle isn't too low.I meant to ask ,is 1500 rpm too high,and whats the   problem with that?Thanks.

The only issue a higher than normal idle might cause.....is higher temperatures when idling at a looooooong light.  THe higher idle might even help reduce the backfire occurence when shifting or slowing down.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #9 - 07/24/13 at 13:17:00

Dave wrote on 07/24/13 at 06:58:40:
You don't "need" a tach to ride this bike for the next 100,000 miles.  You shift when the engine is going too fast or too slow.....after a bit of riding on this bike you will know when to shift up or down.  It is nice to have a tach to help set the idle properly to keep the oil pressure up.....but other than that there is really no need for a tach.

Having said that......my bike has a Vapor from Trail Tech that is a tach, speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, engine temp, outside temp, clock, engine hour meter and elapsed time meter.  I love it!  

Can you share some more information about how you installed this?  It would be a perfect solution for what i am needing.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/24/13 at 13:34:40

PhantomII wrote on 07/24/13 at 13:17:00:
Dave wrote on 07/24/13 at 06:58:40:

Can you share some more information about how you installed this?  It would be a perfect solution for what i am needing.

Thanks

Here is the link to my build, go to Page 4 to see how I mounted the Vapor.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #11 - 07/24/13 at 14:40:01

Thanks I am going to order one this weekend.

IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #12 - 07/24/13 at 17:54:52

Thanks for the replies, guys.

To be real honest, the only reason I've been wanting one is that I often times am not sure if I'm in top gear. Most of my commute to work is in 40-50 mph zone and I sometimes think there's another gear, when I'm already in 5th. With a tach I could look down and see.  

. . . or, I need louder pipes.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/24/13 at 22:47:26

Heck,, shift up & hope
Thats what I do, often, Im forever wantin another cog.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/25/13 at 04:47:00

Brunkster wrote on 07/24/13 at 17:54:52:
To be real honest, the only reason I've been wanting one is that I often times am not sure if I'm in top gear. Most of my commute to work is in 40-50 mph zone and I sometimes think there's another gear, when I'm already in 5th. With a tach I could look down and see.

A tach is not a gear indicator.....even with the tach I will pull in the clutch and try to shift into 6th on occasion.  The difference between 4th and 5th is so small that it is hardly noticeable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:39:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone installed an aftermarket tachometer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.