Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie here-need some advice (Read 95 times)
ronpozoromo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie here-need some advice
07/23/13 at 12:01:48

Hi Y'all!  I am currently looking at buying a 2009 S40 after not riding motorcycles for over 30 years-I'm 58 years old.  I used to ride dual purpose on/off road bikes in my distant youth.   I have sat on many street bikes and to be honest with you they are so big and heavy nowadays.  I sat on the S40 and it just felt right.  I'm a big guy-6'2" 275 lbs. but my inseam is only 30" so I didn't feel cramped at all-I may look like a gorilla on a tricycle but I don't care.  I probably won't do that much interstate riding and I think the torque of the S40 will be more than enough.  The bike I'm looking at only has 2000 miles and except for the backfiring and exhaust bluing, looks and rides new.  Will taking the plug out of the carburetor mixture screw and enriching it be enough to stop both, or will I need to take the carburetor apart and mess with slide and jets?  Would you suggest better rear shocks for someone my size?  Thanks for your help!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Newbie here-need some advice
Reply #1 - 07/23/13 at 12:15:40

Shocks are easy, Progressive brand, order heavy duty springs. If you want stiffer and the rear raised a couple inches to improve the ride and handling, order ones for a VS800 Intruder.

2009 had drag bars stock, right? Plan to change them out, they are okay in town but absolutely miserable for any real riding. You're going to want higher and/or wider.

Mix screw may or may not help... elevation matters. The higher up you live, the better the stock set up works. If you are under 1000' in elevation, plan on some jetting work. Plus one on the pilot jet should be close. I run a 155 main, 55 pilot, and at 420' elevation, it is alright, at the 700 and something feet I used to live at, it smoked like an old 2 stroke diesel V8.

And plan on an immediate tire swap, the factory IRC set is pretty iffy brand new, a few years of drying out will likely let the front tire crack down to the cords. We just had a site member go down hard from tire issues on another bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/23/13 at 12:16:24

Depending on where you live and the altitude....you may need a rejet and a spacer mod to get the best results.  Backfiring and pops are to be expected from this bike.....but they can me made less frequent to some degree. You will also learn to ride the bike in a way that can reduce them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 07/23/13 at 12:19:12

Welcome Ron, folks will be here soon to help, i'm fairly new here too and I know the backfiring can be taken care off to a certain extent, I did it on my wifes to were it barely *poots* when it is shut down, and if she lets it idle for about 40 seconds most often it don't make a sound.

I'm in the process of getting one myself after selling my big monster of a Harley, I too find most of the big cruisers a bit too "heavy" now a days, i'm 54yrs old and  only 145lbs at 5' 10" with a 30" inseam.

I love riding the wifes savage more than she does I think, and recently drove it from the panhandle of florida up to north Carolina and back without having comfort issue too badly, I'll put a cushier seat on mine when I get it.

You have come to the right forum for info on the savage, these guys are guru's at this!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/23/13 at 12:20:09

2,000 miles? Its done some real sitting, check the tank for rust.
Dump the gas & put in fresh. Drain the carb bowl into glass & see what ya get. Likely need to at least go in & make sure jets are clear. Whats the elevation? Feet above sea level matters on jetting.If ya hafta jet, its no biggee.. Try to get it with the mix screw, but dont be shocked if thats not enough. Itll well haul your big butt,,rear shocks may be in your future

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 07/23/13 at 13:01:59

Welcome!!

Looks like have you covered.. plus I am a nub anyway. I put risers on my handlebars... I really like them... $150

Blue exhaust.... normal... at least if your gonna ride it any!

Post up a pic!!!!

Oh.. pretty standard around here.. replace the petcock, for best drive-abilty.

IP Logged
ronpozoromo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/23/13 at 13:08:10

Yeah, I'm about 500 feet above sea level.  I'm near Huntington WV.  This site does seem to have some good tech info and lots of helpful people!  If the tires are only 4 years old-do you really think they'd need replaced?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/23/13 at 13:11:28

Id ride them,, unless there are discernible cracks & drying out signs,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BigTrash
YaBB Newbies

drink beer hail
satan

bradenton florida
Reply #8 - 07/23/13 at 15:44:20

im 6 foot 4 375 and my s40 is comfy as crappity smack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print