Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For all the RYCA/cafe conversion peeps (Read 131 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
For all the RYCA/cafe conversion peeps
07/22/13 at 17:20:25

So I know that the RYCA Café/Standard & Scrambler kits make the front end rake 29 deg. and trail 4.75" which on paper is noticeable compared to the LS650's stock 35 deg./5.8", but is the handling noticeably different?   It puts it more then half way to what most typical café racers are Aprx. 24 deg./4'" or there abouts on average.  I love our engine it runs like a champ and is low maintenance after a few minor changes, but all in all would making a new standard/café style frame for our engine be the way to go or is changing the configurations like the RYCA's enough to do the job?

I'm not trying to hit a hornet's nest with a stick, I'm seriously considering the future of my bike which I would love to make like a true classic standard English single. I got the S40 because I love big singles and it's the largest mainstream single available, now to consider a face lift  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: For all the RYCA/cafe conversion peeps
Reply #1 - 07/22/13 at 17:29:11

There are so many changes that occur in the Cafe' conversion - it is hard to say what affect the steeper fork angle has.  The seating position changes, handlebar postion changes, footpeg position changes, weight distribution.....then the change in wheel sizes.  It took me about 800 miles of riding before the Cafe' conversion began to feel like it was my motorcycle....and by then I forgot what it felt like before the conversion.  I know that my bike is very stable now and that the bike feels very secure......however riding behind a semi or in a strong wind blows the bike around a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/23/13 at 04:46:13

Thanks for the feed back Dave, you're ride came out awesome and I know it's been through the rounds already.  At the moment I'm mainly an around town/near by country road rider, but in the next few years as the boy gets older I'm looking to get away for weekend rides and hit some more intricate roads so both form and function will be important   Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/23/13 at 05:05:27

I am very happy with how my bike turned out, and it feels like "my" bike now that I have put about a thousand miles on it.  It is not uncomfortable for my build (5'-8", 156 pounds), and riding it does eventually make your arms and butt a bit tired.  I explained to someone it is like sitting in the wooden folding chair for a 2 hour concert....it feels good to get off and stretch your legs for a bit before getting back on.

I agree that this is a bike that is great for riding on back roads and to work, and the Cafe' conversion works well with this engine.  The seating position and low gearing just don't make it a comfortable superslab cruiser.  I am going to sell off some other projects and hobby stuff and start looking for a good used Honda ST1100 so that my wife can ride comfortably amd hopefully she will learn to like riding a bit more if she has a comfortable place to sit.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/23/13 at 18:07:59

Happy wife, happy life....well at least that's what I hear other people say LOL   Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/24/13 at 08:10:03

ToesNose wrote on 07/23/13 at 18:07:59:
Happy wife, happy life....well at least that's what I hear other people say LOL   Cheesy

Just a personal observation from my own life .... a happy wife = a wife who desires to make her husband happy =  Smiley Cheesy Cool  ! ! !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/24/13 at 08:32:28

any way ya look at it, havin a happy partner can really never be a bad thing.

Ive seen selfish people in action,, THEY want to be happy & they do what suits them & wonder why the people around them arent happy.. Ive found that all I really hafta do to be allowed the freedom & "stuff" I need to be happy IZZZ, see to it that others are happy in my home,, I try to take care of their needs. As long as I do that, if they still arent happy, then they simply have an attitude problem, or theres the "stuff goin on at work" & other outside things,, But, generally, I dont get hassles, I dont deal them out. Watchin people squabble is tiresome.
Some people seem to thrive in a high tension environment. They live a Soap Opera life. Im not down with the drama,, at All..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/24/13 at 09:03:28

JOG:  My uncle was married to a woman like that......lots of drama and she seemed to always be looking for a fight.  She rarely had anything nice to say about anyone.....thankfully that marriage is over and he is moving on.

My wife and I get along great.....we just have not been able to do that on any motorcycle I have owned.......I tend to buy small bikes with small seats.  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 07/24/13 at 14:54:38

Dave wrote on 07/24/13 at 09:03:28:
My wife and I get along great.....we just have not been able to do that on any motorcycle I have owned.......I tend to buy small bikes with small seats.  

Hmmm.....Doctor Bill here.... (does his best Dr.Phil pose)...
"Well Dave, maybe subconsciously you buy small bike with small seats so you can enjoy riding by yourself"

LOL, my wife finely decided this year to ride, just get her something her size to ride, or ask her what she thinks looks like it would be kewl to ride...and go out out to eat dinner on rides....its what I did to get her comfortable.
We would ride, i'd just give her pointers, no snide ones mind you, just yer getting better at cornering babe....just a little tight on next one, don't wanna go over the centerline. Or I'd tell her nice stop, good swerve ect....
She now looks at the % of rain every day to see if she can ride to work Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/27/13 at 09:53:18

ToesNose wrote on 07/22/13 at 17:20:25:
So I know that the RYCA Café/Standard & Scrambler kits make the front end rake 29 deg. and trail 4.75" which on paper is noticeable compared to the LS650's stock 35 deg./5.8", but is the handling noticeably different?   It puts it more then half way to what most typical café racers are Aprx. 24 deg./4'" or there abouts on average.  I love our engine it runs like a champ and is low maintenance after a few minor changes, but all in all would making a new standard/café style frame for our engine be the way to go or is changing the configurations like the RYCA's enough to do the job?

I'm not trying to hit a hornet's nest with a stick, I'm seriously considering the future of my bike which I would love to make like a true classic standard English single. I got the S40 because I love big singles and it's the largest mainstream single available, now to consider a face lift  Grin

I did a semi RYCA build.  The Lycan Project, and my trail is about 5.  You get used to it , and after a while the bike does feel pretty good but I have to work the bike on really curvy roads.  By that I mean shifting my weight and hanging off in the curves.  As it is configured it is not a sport bike and never will be.  I have talked to several builders that have completely changed the front end out.  One guy said they had new triple trees machined and used the stock forks.  All that is really expensive unless you own a shop or are a master machinist of which I am neither.  All that being said I love my build, I'm really proud of the work, it's fun to ride, and it gets lots of attention where ever I go. I said I wanted a more basic motorcycling experience when I started and thats what I got, plus I learned a ton about motorcycles in general.  So much so that I don't think I could put a value on it.   I know this bike inside and out.  So it's worth the effort.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/27/13 at 13:15:59

Quote:
I said I wanted a more basic motorcycling experience when I started and thats what I got, plus I learned a ton about motorcycles in general.  So much so that I don't think I could put a value on it.   I know this bike inside and out.  So it's worth the effort.

Amen to that!  Roll Eyes

I am sure I will forget over time - but at this point I know what just about ever color of wire does on my bike, how to pop the seat and tank off very quickly, and the size of each and every bolt and nut on my bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:33:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › For all the RYCA/cafe conversion peeps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.