Send Topic Print
Which Handgun? (Read 653 times)
danjray

Connecticut
Re: Which Handgun?
Reply #45 - 08/09/13 at 07:59:13

LANCER wrote on 08/08/13 at 17:52:45:
jcstokes wrote on 08/08/13 at 16:56:46:
You people are all very lucky. You would all be in jail if you lived in New Zealand. Pistol packing is pretty much illegal here.

One of the things I like about Oklahoma is that I can "open carry" any weapon I like as long as a round is not chambered.  However, if I pay a small fee and take a short class, I can get a license and can carry a loaded weapon, open carry or concealed...my choice.
It's good to live in a state where we are still free to live as we wish.

I wish that were the case in Connecticut, legally I can open carry with my pistol permit and walk down the street with a loaded shotgun on my back, but socially I'll get the cops called on me and more than likely get a ticket for brandishing a weapon  :'( But I stick to concealed carry, I have a sig P200, it's on the larger side but with a good de santis holster it fits comfortably in the small of my bike or on my hip. Plus with a .45 round, I've got no doubt I'm stopping anyone, no matter how much meth they're on!

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 08/09/13 at 08:14:48

Please keep this thread suitable for the Cafe.  Don't get into politics, laws, etc.......this is a thread about which Handgun you carry, or recommend to carry, hardware, holsters, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #47 - 08/09/13 at 09:00:07

Blinky, let's make it a bit easier. Drop down the the farm, where you can test:

CZ24 and Bersa Thunder CC, both are pocket sized .380 bottom feeders
S&W 4" N frame .44 Special
S&W J frame Airweight 442-1 .38 Special
Iver Johnson 55A Target in .22 short, long, long rifle
Ruger Super Blackhawk grip frame equipped single action .45
S&W K Frame or Colt New Police/Detective Special sized 6" .38 Special revolver
Jenning J22 chrome and cocobolo .22 bottom feeder
H&R Handy Gun in .410
Sig P6 bottom feeder in 9mm Luger
Freedom Arms/North American Arms .22 Magnum necklace revolver

Can arrange for a few others to be on hand if needed...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 08/27/13 at 12:12:30

I carry a Ruger LC9.  Be careful and know the laws.  Not all permits cover you from state to state.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #49 - 08/27/13 at 12:29:06

I missed this thread... I recently bought a Ruger SR22.  And put a laser sight on it.

I thought it was pricey but it fit my tiny hand perfectly.  Still planning to take the concealed carry class, within the next few weeks.  Granted, its not the ideal self-defense weapon, but being a female of small stature, I feel comfortable shooting it, so at least I would "try" to defend myself with it.  And it will hurt, regardless of the bullet size.  Hubby has several pistols that I "can" shoot, but don't really care to shoot (including the Kel-Tec PF9 like prechermike has)  Its loud!  And alot of them are too heavy for me.  This one is small, light, easily concealable, and the rounds are cheap!  
A friend recently bought a Springfield XDS 45.  Looks like an awesome thing, and felt great in-hand!  I'd be half scared to fire it though.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #50 - 08/27/13 at 14:09:59

babyhog wrote on 08/27/13 at 12:29:06:
Granted, its not the ideal self-defense weapon.

The most ideal self defense weapon is one you are comfortable with and able to use without any issues  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #51 - 08/27/13 at 19:33:18

ToesNose wrote on 08/27/13 at 14:09:59:
babyhog wrote on 08/27/13 at 12:29:06:
Granted, its not the ideal self-defense weapon.

The most ideal self defense weapon is one you are comfortable with and able to use without any issues  Wink

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink

A small caliber pistol that you shoot well with is better than a larger caliber that you are afraid to shoot. As always: practice, practice, practice and be safe. I sometimes carry a .380 or 9mm and sometimes a 1911 .45

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #52 - 08/27/13 at 22:40:22

danjray wrote on 08/09/13 at 07:59:13:
You people are all very lucky. You would all be in jail if you lived in New Zealand. Pistol packing is pretty much illegal here.

One of the things I like about Oklahoma is that I can "open carry" any weapon I like as long as a round is not chambered.  However, if I pay a small fee and take a short class, I can get a license and can carry a loaded weapon, open carry or concealed...my choice.

I wish that were the case in Connecticut, legally I can open carry with my pistol permit and walk down the street with a loaded shotgun on my back, but socially I'll get the cops called on me and more than likely get a ticket for brandishing a weapon  :'( But I stick to concealed carry, I have a sig P200, it's on the larger side but with a good de santis holster it fits comfortably in the small of my bike or on my hip. Plus with a .45 round, I've got no doubt I'm stopping anyone, no matter how much meth they're on!

Really? Dude,, Youre SOlid Ate UP with it & you dont even know,,

it fits comfortably in the small of my bike or on my hip..

The small of your BIKE? Thats just funny,,,

So,my dr gave me some recipes,, oneof the instructions given

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Reply #53 - 08/28/13 at 00:51:14

I have an airsoft pistol. Good defense against squirrels... I think.

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 08/28/13 at 05:36:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/27/13 at 22:40:22:
danjray wrote on 08/09/13 at 07:59:13:

Really? Dude,, Youre SOlid Ate UP with it & you dont even know,,

it fits comfortably in the small of my bike or on my hip..

The small of your BIKE? Thats just funny,,,

So,my dr gave me some recipes,, oneof the instructions given

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowel.

Justin, what you see here is a new phenomenon that has only jumped into existence in the last calender year or so.

People with modern cell phones can talk in a post quicker than they can type it in with their thumbs.

Issue becomes them nasty old "sounds same but spelled different" words, and all the words that sound very very similar to the one you wanted.

If you ever see a short post from me that lacks the first empty row space up at the top so it looks decent, and it comes complete with some screwed up words you know I did it at work just talking it in on my cell phone.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 08/30/13 at 12:48:34

I liked that there wasp spray trick, seems cheap and effective for dogs as well as assailants (been attacked more times by aggressive dogs than by people).

As to which gun I like best, I like my 10-222 and my gluck best of all.   Glucks are handy and feel good in my hand, plus they are real simple to use in a pinch.  My gluck and my 10-222 would get the job done, but then I'd likely have to explain them a bit afterwards I suspect.

Continuous carry, nothing beats a P322 for convenient pocket carry.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 08/30/13 at 17:08:26

Might as well go 357.

Ruger lcr.
Small, light, easy.

Modern springs won't wear out from being stored, FYI.
Large numbers of cycles, yes. Sitting loaded, no.

With all that said, I carry a ruger sr9
It has never failed to go bang in something around 7000 rounds now.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 08/30/13 at 17:29:34

How bad is the recoil rise and "in hand rotation effects" on your grip on the SR9 when you're doing triple taps?

Some powerful small pistols will actually rotate some in your grip with each shot and can cut your hand with the slide motion if you aren't careful.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #58 - 08/31/13 at 08:00:04

ok, I know a couple folks here reload, but where is everyone getting their ammo from? The wife and I (well the wife anyway) could use some range time to refresh home defense technique and I need to re-site her laser.

I used to get ammo at the local walmart and a local gunshop, which both are out and cannot tell me when they will ever get any in. How can a gunshop do business with no ammo for the guns they sell???

I think gun manufactures ought to start selling their guns with ammo "included" for sighting and practice. LOL Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #59 - 08/31/13 at 16:53:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/13 at 17:29:34:

How bad is the recoil rise and "in hand rotation effects" on your grip on the SR9 when you're doing triple taps?

Some powerful small pistols will actually rotate some in your grip with each shot and can cut your hand with the slide motion if you aren't careful.

I have the SR9c not the SR9, but don't have that issue at all with it. Now with the LC9 that's a different story, but it is a significantly smaller pistol.   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Which Handgun?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.