YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Which Handgun?
Reply #15 - 07/23/13 at 01:36:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/23/13 at 00:51:41:
One thing that bothers me is what IF there are innocent people in range, behind the target? Makes a shot shell look better than a powerful handgun round.

A good thing to be bothered about...
In my home,... I have a good amount situational awareness...
Out in public,... it can be a very difficult task... for us, as well as the criminals,... as well as the police...
I'm just not comfortable with it...

When I shoot, for fun... it's on a clear range, with a solid backstop...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/23/13 at 01:49:14

I shoot at home & I have neighbors, but the place is hilly & I have a backstop. We always keep targets low & anyone who shoots here first gets a complete explanation of how & why no bullets can be allowed to escape.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 07/23/13 at 04:26:59

verslagen1 wrote on 07/22/13 at 15:44:03:
I was told... wasp spray by the guy that sold the pepper spray.

longer distance, more accurate... just as effective.

Oh yes, excellent suggestion

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 07/23/13 at 04:37:37

Quote:
What do you need a gun for?...

Unfortunately for some people, you don't know till it's too late. I'm not saying that everyone needs a gun, but I know people that would have ended up dead or seriously FUBAR without one. Most recently friends on Long Island who had looters after Sandy  Angry  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #19 - 07/23/13 at 04:50:12

WD wrote on 07/22/13 at 16:23:40:
Practice with a 642? Not on your life, I value my thumb too much. Horrible gun to fire more than a cylinder or two a year.

I have a 442 Airweight in aluminum. I just put a box of ammo through it along with a cylinder full of +P. I had no issues. My buddy fired it twice and gave it back. I guess it just fits me better than him.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 07/23/13 at 04:50:22

I got the wife a S&W airwieght .38 special, the hammerless version. Its not a good shoot all day at the range pistol, but she does great with it. I've added a laser sight/handgrip combo that works well, just grip it and the laser lights your target, all you gotta do is squeeze the trigger, point and click as I say.
She can hit a one inch square repeatedly at about 30 feet, farther if she takes her time. Makes it real easy to use, you just pick up the pistol the laser comes on and you point it where it will do the most damage and squeeze....easy peasy.
With us being in the hurricane central area, I've always had home protection. Two years ago we both got our concealed permits, never had an incedent on the road, but I do feel a might bit better knowing I've got it if I need it.
Its really up to you tho, and if I ever get into a situation, I find its always better to humble myself and walk away and if walking away is not an option, i'll have one more trick up my sleeve and hopefully won't have to use it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #21 - 07/23/13 at 04:56:02

old_rider wrote on 07/23/13 at 04:50:22:
I got the wife a S&W airwieght .38 special, the hammerless version. Its not a good shoot all day at the range pistol, but she does great with it. I've added a laser sight/handgrip combo that works well, just grip it and the laser lights your target, all you gotta do is squeeze the trigger, point and click as I say.
She can hit a one inch square repeatedly at about 30 feet, farther if she takes her time. Makes it real easy to use, you just pick up the pistol the laser comes on and you point it where it will do the most damage and squeeze....easy peasy.
With us being in the hurricane central area, I've always had home protection. Two years ago we both got our concealed permits, never had an incedent on the road, but I do feel a might bit better knowing I've got it if I need it.
Its really up to you tho, and if I ever get into a situation, I find its always better to humble myself and walk away and if walking away is not an option, i'll have one more trick up my sleeve and hopefully won't have to use it.

I have the grip laser as well. It can help but you still need to be able to shoot without it. I have found a way to grip the weapon and not have the light come on. It may happen in a tense situation as well. And yes, walking away is always the best option.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 07/23/13 at 07:11:55

442-1 Airweight .38, the 642 being real metal is a tad heavier. I'll fire one from the 442 and put it back up.

Lisa got rid of her Bersa Thunder CC .380, I'm fixing her .38 Long Colt revolver for her carry gun. Cylinder had been professionally resized to handle .38 Special, it was her grandfather's duty gun when he was a Memphis motorcycle officer. The .44HE was his dress gun.

If a revolver was good enough for a WW1 Marine turned motorcycle cop in the 20s and 30s, and good enough for him as munitions plant security chief during WW2... more than sufficient for us.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #23 - 07/23/13 at 07:28:06

Just my .02 worth...

The best gun is a loaded and functional gun. Where a mag fed gun must by nature of design have the mag spring under constant tension ( that then "cold works' the spring making it less effective over time... a revolver that is loaded but other wise not cocked is fully "at rest". None of the springs are under tension. A loaded revo, can be put in an sock drawer and left for decades and still be expected to fire as good as the day it was stored.

I have purchased a .357 ( which also shoots .38s) for each member of my family. They have also been sent to an expert to receive training, not only on HOW to shoot... but when to shoot... ie how to protect themselves.  Also We belong to a gun club, and I reload. This means they ( and I) can practice anytime... nearly as much as we want. To date, no one has decided to carry... but they each have that option, and the skills to make that option viable.

PS: I do one one semi-auto. I traded for it at the request of my son. But its only been shot maybe 50 times. CZ 9mm.  Nice heavy metal gun. As to the .357 we use, they are old and not generally available, so I don't suggest trying to find one. Dan Wesson model 15 .. all steel.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 07/23/13 at 07:36:09

do magazine springs usually wear out or get too weak?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-501451.html

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #25 - 07/23/13 at 10:01:31

My two Eurocents from this side of the pond...

I like what Pine just said

Pine wrote on 07/23/13 at 07:28:06:
Just my .02 worth...

The best gun is a loaded and functional gun. Where a mag fed gun must by nature of design have the mag spring under constant tension ( that then "cold works' the spring making it less effective over time... a revolver that is loaded but other wise not cocked is fully "at rest". None of the springs are under tension. A loaded revo, can be put in an sock drawer and left for decades and still be expected to fire as good as the day it was stored.

I have purchased a .357 ( which also shoots .38s) for each member of my family. They have also been sent to an expert to receive training, not only on HOW to shoot... but when to shoot... ie how to protect themselves.  Also We belong to a gun club, and I reload. This means they ( and I) can practice anytime...  

I have owned and carried a long time in my life.
I still own, but stopped carrying for legal reasons.

Far too many ... crooks ? Yes, but not in the streets, rather in Courthouses, and most unfortunately they sit in very tall chairs and expect you to call them "Your Honor"...
Lips Sealed
Of the many guns I felt most comfortable with, #1 was my former puny little Beretta mod. 20 in 22LR, DA semiauto so small it fits in a box of cigarettes.

However, thanks to its fully open slide, blowback action and flip-up barrel, IT WILL NOT JAM !

Of course, you need to pull the slide or pull the hammer (I never carried in Condition_1, cocked and locked, not if you're carrying concealed anyway) but it's stone cold reliable.
If you're concerned with the magazine spring "getting tired", simply buy extra magazines and rotate them once every week or so.

The other gun was my very rare (in Italy, that is) Charter Arms Bulldog in .44Sp.

Why did I choose Charter Arms over S&W?
1. Charter Arms gave me 5 shots of .44 vs. 6 shots of .38

2. Read below, it's a matter of engineering.

What a baby !!! She only held 5 rounds of .44 in the lightweight barrel, and I never had to fire it...
...but the one time I had someone pull a knife on me (two guys, actually, during a discussion over double parking... Tongue )
I drew, and the Bulldog looks nothing like your dime-a-dozen saturday Night Special!
I mean... that muzzle simply GAPES open jawed at you !

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/23/13 at 10:09:25

Lyrics from Frankie and Johnny:

Frankie drew back to her kimona
she took out a little .44
Rutty tooo toot three times she shot
right through that hardwood door
She shot her man
he was doing her wrong

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #27 - 07/23/13 at 10:11:10

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/23/13 at 07:36:09:
do magazine springs usually wear out or get too weak?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-501451.html

+1 on that article, at least in my experience!
I always keep a full clip in my semi-auto.  I shoot maybe once a year, maybe 30 rounds, just to make sure everything is still OK (eye sight, gun sight, etc) and yep, I can still shoot them paper criminals right where it hurts!
How long have I been doing that?.. since about 1981.  Same gun, same magazine.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 07/23/13 at 10:42:39

THATS info Ive been wanting!
Now, what about the firing pin spring on a Mossin Nagant? Can I put it on safe & leave it, too?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #29 - 07/23/13 at 13:21:14

heheh thanks Pescatori... My mom also had that same Beretta, was perfect for her.

my wifes gun...

with her custom grip...

and the same gun next to mine but with the alternate barrel:

OK ok I don't got the same gapping hole as the .44 ... but if I throw it 'em.. it will hurt!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:28:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Which Handgun?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.