Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer) (Read 235 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer)
07/22/13 at 10:06:11

http://liliputing.com/2013/07/ubuntu-edge-canonical-wants-to-build-a-crowd-fu...

Now, anybody want to take any bets that Shuttleworth only needs 15 million to do it and is overshooting some to maximize his funding?

Also, what do you think the big phone guys like Verizon that just joined his advisory council are going to do if he even starts to look successful at raising enough money ????    They don't want to lose their dominance in this market place to their CUSTOMERS of all people, for crying out loud.

$800 is cheap for a new PC ---- $800 is expensive for a new phone.

Buying both for $800 is a fairly good deal, especially if they will last a long time before needing replacement.   You are paying this level of money now to get 1-2 year old phone technology from your carrier now that everybody intends for you to replace yearly or so.

Which one do you see this as being?   Long lasting phone or a desktop replacement?

Shuttleworth is talking to his fan boys -- YOU guys can pump the development process forward instead of waiting for some telecon to choose to do it (whenever).

Steve Jobs was a visionary.   So is this guy.  Whatever new technology creeps out of this will be free to everybody, so no matter if it partially flops you'll be using the worthwhile IDEAS it envisions by the end of next year, from just about everybody.

Hey Google guys -- why haven't YOU done this already?   You have the two pieces you need but you keep dawdling around about doing it ...

============

Comments?    

How do you see this all transpiring?

What will wind up happening at the end of the day ??

What would happen if the buy in amount dropped suddenly to $400?  (not as nice a phone)

What if the buy in dropped to $300?  (a normal type phone)

« Last Edit: 07/22/13 at 13:23:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer
Reply #1 - 07/22/13 at 19:29:45

Update at the end of 24 hours, 3.4 million and some change committed.

>1/10th of the dollars in 1/30th of the days ....

He needs to drop the amount some towards the end of the 30 days so the little guys can play some too, right now he's just asking the rich people to kick in some of their loose Hamptons golfing outing funds.

If he's just trying to get the big telecom's attention, I think he may have already done that .....

I know he's given Ballmer a severe colonic spasm because Ballmer can just see all his future sales of PC operating systems turning into free OS cell phones right in front of his eyes .....      Shocked    Tongue  

Grin      Ballmer, that's gonna happen anyway -- you've just been living in willful denial for the last year or so.   Why don't you just bluster some for us and issue a statement saying that you already invented that ....

« Last Edit: 07/24/13 at 20:44:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/22/13 at 21:50:14

Cyanogen Mod Nemesis, the new Ubuntu Edge, the Vivaldi KDE phones, the 3 new Firefox phones ......   my my such a plethora of truly new alternatives in the phone world.

We gots us some real self propelling progress going on -- hey  some folks are figuring out that the phone OS should do what YOU want it to do.

The depth of REAL TALENT that has collected around Linux and Android worlds has suddenly looked around and realized that Microsoft isn't holding anybody back any more (they simply can't swing that trick any longer) and that Intel isn't really an obstacle any more.  

ARM is more that good enough, right now.

Linaro as a real impartial standards body that simply cleans it all up and neat-a-fies it and puts all them Linaro kernel certified goodies into the kernel store and you then simply go pull whatever tricks off the shelf you think you need to make up your perfect cell phone (or small computer as the case may be).

Nvidia and others have dropped all that proprietary dog in the manger stuff and have gone open source on their chip's guts and drivers.

Firefox and Ubuntu have realized there is a LARGE SURPLUS of computing power out there in the new quad core to Octa core chipsets and that the screen resolutions out there right now are simply excessive to anybody's most imaginative needs.

You can build your phone OS right now to be better.  Cyanogen MOD has been improving on Android for years now, Firefox has been getting better and better as a near-OS and Ubuntu is getting jest plain ready to go DO it.

Them visionaries are offering up significantly different and better visions and they can back them up with the needed amount of crowd dollars to make them happen.

Ouya, that feels good !!!

Google, start your engines -- your leadership position is now being modified (not challenged really, just fixed up some).   Time for you to get crackin' on a innovative new Android that DOES something NEW !!!

Apple is still ordering yet bigger and more densely pixelated displays (trying the same old tricks to out retina their Retina Displays).   A Jobless Apple is going to start to lose relevance pretty soon if they don't get a grip on doing something real.  

Microsoft under Ballmer isn't really even a factor any more.

The low cost drivers (Firefox and Ubuntu and Vivaldi) are going to revolutionize what the low end can do and make it far more attractive to normal people.    That is going to jest kill Apple and Microsoft when a low end quad core phone makes their stuff look old fashioned and dull as well as grossly over-priced.

I loves it, great times to be a computer person, yes they are.   The Chinese Cheapie Guys are pursuing REAL INNOVATION now,  Rockchip is open source now and ROCKCHIP (yes Rockchip) has given us Android multi-window support technology and all the skinny on RK 3188 source code just this past week ......

(yup, pink and blue dragon headed pigs were seen flying everywhere all over Asia for the last 2 weeks).

The big telecoms are beginning to cooperate with the chip and phone and OS builders to bring new innovative products to market even faster.    

You can even trade up on your old phone inside one year now (change is happening too fast for anyone to want to miss the new fun for 2 whole years)

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 07/23/13 at 04:37:12

A dockable smart phone.....now that IS promising. Fastest processor + 128 gigs of storage/w 4gigs of ram, its a frikin' mini-computer. Now doc that with a 500gig mini solid state drive and a monitor and keyboard and you have yourself a nice system. Upload what you want for the day/week and dump it when you get home.
This does sound good for future system, now if they would make a tv that will wirelessly act as a monitor THAT I would do. Right now I can wirelessly use it as a photoviewer but not as a wireless monitor. But maybe i'm just not doing it right.
I can see coming home at the end of the day, docking your phone, turning on the tv, and searching the net and or surfing the channels and recording a certain program, then watching the program the next day at work on your phone, at break time of course!
The day has come for my dream HOME system.... a 80" tv/computer/phone/video conference system that's all docked from your handheld device, and with the upcoming flexable led screens, could be a wrist or arm bracelet....hmmm

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/24/13 at 08:47:40

http://liliputing.com/2013/07/ubuntu-edge-smartphonepc-gets-new-cheaper-optio...

Ubuntu Edge smartphone/PC gets new, cheaper options

Ok, so they aren't really super much cheaper, but Shuttleworth is quickly refunding the difference to the early supporters that signed up at the larger amounts whenever he gets a price break from his builders.

Why?   He is honest about it, when they raised 4 plus million in the first two days the vendors began to talk back to him more seriously about production volumes and discounts -- and he realized the phone isn't going to cost $830 when the sign up actually goes up beyond the original crowd funding goals and gets up into the range of a normal product introduction volume for a far eastern telecom company.

So, he says you can look for the figures to ooze downwards as the numbers pile upwards.

Also, somebody is going to approach him with an offer eventually to bump up the specs on an existing production phone and suddenly there will be a "lower cost option" for you to consider.

Wink Me, I don't think I really need the sapphire contact surface as I rarely ever carry my phone in the same pocket with my diamonds.

The man is playing poker with a table full of telephone makers and telecom companies, the Verizons have to sign up to support and then eventually sell the phones and the root phone manufacturers have to sign up to build them up to where the Ubuntu spec sheets says you have to be.

What all these people sitting around the poker table needed to see was that a market does exist for a 3-5 year longer lasting phone that is way way over spec to the current industry performance standards.

Why only 5 years?   First, it does have a battery in it, and in general things improve too too much in 5 years not to want a better phone/PC as by then they will have REALLY improved a whole whole lot.

We shall see how the poker game evolves as Shuttleworth keeps his word and he does believe in out in the open discussion with his supporters.

Hell, if you are an early supporter you get to read the development email flows back & forth by the development group itself.

I think he will do it, and it might cost around $500-$600 by the time it is done.   I think it will swing some real good specs by then as well.

I also think it will be just about mainstream by then.   The WOW 4 gig system memory chips just came out (announced) from 2 different vendors, so they will be common soon in all top end phones.

Also, this sparks a change in the general expectations for a top end phone.  Soon "Ubuntu spec" will be a minimum standard that any good phone will have -- and Ubuntu hook up hardware docks will be expected accessories as well.

Oh Ballmer, woe is you -- you just now finally realized your Microsoft guys needs to be sitting at that poker table with a handful of your own phone/PC options.   And right now you just took your company all to pieces to reorganize it.

Plus, I don't think you actually got an invite to the poker game, now did you ?    hee hee  Grin

Several of the players have fresh wounds on their faces from your phone and Surface debacles and they REALLY don't trust you to keep your word or to pay your gambling debts.

Quick, Ballmer -- threaten to sue somebody .... or issue a vapor blast from your new butt valve that you have a phone/PC in the works right now too and that yours is going to be better (and only cost $1,850).

« Last Edit: 07/24/13 at 22:35:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/24/13 at 21:48:32

5.5 million raised in 3 days (if the current rate holds up he does the deal inside 13 days)

The buzz is the price will keep dropping the bigger the commit numbers get to be, and as long as Shuttleworth instantly drops your pledge to the latest real number it does sorta give folks a nudge to go ahead and commit now as the numbers only get better automatically.

Still,  if his pledges hold up anywhere near this rate he's got him a deal.

Expect marketing updates and vendor input discussions to add spice to the mix periodically, just to keep the buzz going.  

Also expect Shuttleworth to accidentally "out" some new phone components periodically that are actually in the works -- that sapphire touch surface is one that is out on the table now but the actual vendor hasn't announced it yet.   Vendor needs to come out of the closet ....  

That special battery is out on the table too -- vendor needs to step up on that one too.

Hey low light camera dudes, speak up !!

Actually, by the time May of next year rolls around I bet you can buy a standard phone that can do all these tricks since people now know about them and want them all the good phones will have them in there.

Great move, they don't want to build you a phone with enough specs,  so, oops,  now all the good phones will have to be built that way.

Microsoft and Intel could do this -- but I shudder to see the price tag.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/24/13 at 22:17:01

Let's see if I got my math right.  

In one week Shuttleworth the visionary can talk us all into changing our cell phones so drastically  that you won't need a computer any more (using YOUR money that you lined up to give him).  

Yup, that takes care of Bug #1 all right,  obliterate the need for a Microsoft OS completely.    Check Bug #1 off of all lists .... it is exterminated.

The amount of money we are talking about is $30,000,000 which is 1/30th of the $900,000,000 write off amount of money Microsoft wrote off in ONE 3 MONTH QUARTER just past for doing a total Win 8 Surface cow flop.    

Microsoft could have done this 30 times already with that write off money, heck, by now it could have even been pretty much right even using Microsoft's old bumble and fix methods.

Does this mean Shuttleworth is 30 times smarter than Ballmer?

Apple, you should be listening and planning your new superphone right now to "make IOS take over the world" in the very early spring of next year.    

If you don't do this you too will go into the frog blender with the rest of the slow and unimaginative crew.

By tearing Microsoft apart for a total reorg during this critical time period I think Ballmer just let a really big one out of his shorts, a BIG STINKY runny brown down the leg one he won't recover from personally, ever.

His successors will make a x86 Microsoft phone that can do the same tricks, but I bet it will require one hell of a big expensive battery in that big arsed thick chunky monkey cell phone and I bet it costs a whole lot of $$ to build  (but hey, you can always write off another $900,000,000 when it flops).

Or else Windows will really have to be rewritten to really run well on ARM RISC processors ..... if so, so long Intel, who needs you?  

Chipzilla's days of $1000 per chip will be gone forever.           Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/25/13 at 07:20:17

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/25/13 at 07:51:20

Yep, I've been watching it to find out what limitations Google has to place on the thing to keep from getting into trouble.

First words from a lot of places is that Google made it so simple it has no controls and NO LIMITS to what it can stream from the parent device or online source.

So, if you have laptop, tablet or phone access to something you can beam it on up to the big screen.

This includes your downloaded videos from torrents or from pirate bay that you had on your hard drive but couldn't see on a big screen before now.   What is new is that you can poke around inside a web site to find the support directory trees and display that stuff as well.

Literally anything you can find in any directory tree using a laptop, tablet or phone is up there.

Of course you have to be running a Chrome Browser when you go do it, so yeah Google scratched their own itch with the little device.   Chrome is going to be much more popular as a search engine.

But folks are finding out all sorts of hidden search abilities inside their Chrome Browser, like this little trick, type in c: in the search bar and it displays all directories on your PC and when you click on something it will auto recognize ANY file extension (including Audio and Video types and run it and send it to the big screen.

If you can find a directory structure somewhere, anything in it is fair game.   People are posting the searches used to crack the directory trees of all sorts of sites.

Google may have to cripple the device or the Chrome Browser itself some on the next auto-update because these little search tricks allow you to raw search inside the on line directories of places like Mooovie Plus and click and display whatever you can find inside their directory trees.

My wife says she likes her Roku just fine and if she has to go that deep into some source to find something, then she would be being a pirate.

So, I won't be buying one for her.   (not yet, anyway)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/26/13 at 18:43:19

Editorials on why you shouldn't buy into the Edge have begun to run on Windows fan sites and general computing publications.

Seriously, the most compelling arguments that they make is that with your existing phone and an Android Tablet and a wireless keyboard you are "totally equipped" to do work anywhere and "anywhere" simply doesn't have a docking station/monitor just sitting there ready for you to plug your Edge into.

This is a real and valid point.   +1 for them

The most specious arguments from the Microsoft fans are based on saying it would take an Intel I-3xx chipset to do what has been promised by Shuttleworth, that a Qualcomm 800 can't swing it and neither can a Samsung Octa type 2.   This is a false argument based on a wrong "windows is the world" perspective.

They totally fail to grasp the point that it would take an I-3xx chipset to do it for Win 7 or Win 8 BUT NOT FOR UBUNTU since it is much lighter and skinnier on the resource required front.

And they willfully forget that the man making that promise MAKES the durn distro and he has been working on that particular LTS release for a while now on current phones and tablets and certainly knows if it will run well or not because he is running it on Tegra 3's right now.

=============

A few pundits have actually written short articles driving a stake in the sand saying "Here begins the final chapter of the PC, it has been shrinking for a while, but this signals the start of the final decline."

These guys point out that there are more TABLETS out there now than PC's in total, counting all of the PCs that are still running.    And that tablets are still selling on an increasing scale while PC sales are sloping down radically.   They don't even bother to count in the phones as there are a bijillion times more phones out there.

===============

Will Shuttleworth build his Edge?    

Perhaps not --- but do you think that the general idea hasn't suddenly become something that R&D departments haven't been directed to check into?   APPLE, Microsoft, Intel -- the Edge has cut deep into the popular thought patterns of their customers.

Let me give you a clue as to what has changed from the FAR EAST perspective.    

Ubuntu was a desktop operating system that was put on old PCs and all the new boxes and the little stuff being built with ARM chipsets ran Android first and only.   The orient LIKED Android, and didn't see Ubuntu as something they desired very much.   Sorta outside their realm, in other words.   Something for rich Europeans and Americans.

Look what popped up in the last few days ....

Rikomagic UK to offer Minix Linux ARM PCs
(MK802 III LE, MK802 IV LE)

http://liliputing.com/2013/07/rikomagic-uk-to-offer-minix-linux-arm-pcs-mk802...

Rikomagic UK to offer Minix Linux ARM PCs
(MK802 III LE, MK802 IV LE)

It looks like it may be time to stop calling tiny ARM-based devices like the MK802 Android TV sticks and go back to calling them mini PCs. Rikomagic UK has announced it will start shipping Linux Editions of two of its most recent ARM-powered stick-sized computers.

The MK802 III LE (Linux Edition) and MK802 IV LE will both run a custom version of Ubuntu called Picuntu, and they’ll be available from the Cloudsto store soon."

Folks who buy these little non-optimal items will just see how well that Ubuntu runs on that small wee bitty hardware, then they can just imagine what it could do if it were hand tuned by the Shuttleworth and all his minions to exactly fit a particular current generation 2.3 ghz quad core superchip.

With 4 gigs of system memory.  

And a 128 gig electronic hard drive for speed.

I don't think the Edge would be slow .... quite the contrary.

You know Shuttleworth has some prototypes that he has built -- you know he's been given Snapdragon 800 phones and Samsung Octa II pre-production phones to play with.   Do you realize how little it would take to modify the I/O jacks of the current Samsung and Snapdragon 800 phones to do Shuttleworth's docking magic on a stock next gen Superphone?   Especially this way way early in the design cycle of those super phones?

Even if the Edge is never built, by next summer there will be a few docking stationed phones running the 14.04 LTS version of Ubuntu.

Because they can, with no real increase in cost beyond a better I/O jack.   Because it is a product differentiating selling point that allows the sale of a docking station accessory.  Because most of China and the Far East has zero interest in making big box PCs because they don't use them at home.

But they do make phones and they do have HDMI equipped TVs.  

What if Google took their $35 dongle and gave it a receptor so it recognized all wireless keyboards and mice and provided software on line so you could have your "PC" instantly in any hotel room or board room?

(they already do that, you know)

Wink

Chrome Dongle is extension of Chrome Box is an extension of Google Play.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/26/13 at 21:35:11

okay, this is like talkin to a horse & buggy guy about the sr-71.. i so totally dont even get it,, but then, i dont even have a cell phone,,

Hyaa! Giddyup!~

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/27/13 at 03:34:12

Justin, I had cell phones all along that were "feature phones" -- basic things that allowed you to make a phone call.

I worked with people with smart phones and I noticed them using them to go on the internet and all -- neat but not necessary to my way of thinking.

Wife got a tablet and then we got current gen 5" Android 4.2 phones -- nice stuff there.   My old white box has nothing on the phone, really.  Functionality and speed are quite similar.   I can talk in a post quicker than I can text it, which is really neat that my phone talks to me and listens to me.   Plus mine is a darn fine GPS unit, plays movies, lets me play games ...... neat stuff that you can put in yer pocket.

White boxes are no more -- go to Best Buy and they sell around 5 box types, period.   Tons of laptops and tablets though -- and the store devotes more actual floor space to cell phones than to computers any more.

Convergence    

It is Shuttleworth's term he invented just this past year.   It means "exact same software platform on all devices" and Microsoft picked up on it and gave it a fudgy sort of try this past year.   You can get "windows" on each sort of device but actually the phone and tablet versions are really completely different sorts of stuff that won't even run the same basic software packages.

Apple is the same way -- their stuff is different per platform too.

14.04 Ubuntu will be the first convergent operating system -- it will run on PCs, tablets and phones -- same same OS and all the same software.

This brought up the bright idea of "why not dock the phone or the tablet and have the full PC experience right off the portable device?"   Why have to spend money on a box, a tablet and a phone?

Brave new thoughts that you will see become actual in April, 2014.

I think I agree with the stake in the sand pundits -- April, 2014 Ubuntu LTS (6 year supported versions are the Long Term Support versions) will see movement in business and with folk's personal hardware towards convergence.   White boxes will become relatively unnecessary, monitors and keyboards will remain on your desk as always.

You might like Mac, but you will want convergence.   Mac can give it to you if you want it enough to PAY a bunch to get it.

You may like Windows, you are shite out of luck for convergence there because they totally flopped on 2 of the 3 parts of it already.   With 6 million units sitting in warehouses that will not sell Microsoft isn't going anywhere without rewriting their software COMPLETELY to be truly convergent.   They can't figure out how to do that with their old stuff -- and folks don't want the mish-mash of incompatible differences any more.

Ubuntu

Shuttleworth is going to give you convergence and open-ness and it won't even cost you a lot of extra money if you buy your next smart phone carefully off the selected ones from the top of the heap that have the Ubuntu docking station accessory built for them.   OS and software is free, all of it.  

And Ubuntu works arguably better than MS products in that you don't have to defend yourself from virus and trojan attacks all the time.  And you never have to defrag your hard drive using Linux, ever.

=================

Microsoft

Microsoft has got to give up on being stupid and autocratic if they want to sell anything going into the future -- they have 6 MILLION unsold Surface tablets that they just paid $900,000,000 to partially depreciate because they had to cut the price by 1/3 (and still nobody is buying them as being "Built by Microsoft" a key feature of the hardware is you can't swap out the operating system).

Can Microsoft re-create both their business and their current worldwide image as an autocratic school bully?

They spent 40 years creating their distinctive corporate culture, me, I don't think they are going to turn that around on a dime.

No one would trust them or believe them if they said they had become "open and cooperative".  Too many of the existing players in open source hate their guts (with fairly substantive reasons).  Too many of their old business partners carry visible scars from having "partnered" with them.

Ballmer is still there -- nothing has changed -- nothing real, nothing basic.  

Wink  Trying to put on a sheepskin isn't going to fool anybody, Mr. Wolf.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/27/13 at 04:11:53

And Ubuntu works arguably better than MS products in that you don't have to defend yourself from virus and trojan attacks all the time.

Why not?

And you never have to defrag your hard drive using Linux, ever.

&, once again,, Howcum?

Ive heard of ubuntu. I had a disk I could put in & it created like ( IIRC the words of the guy who gave it to me) it created some kinda fake hard drive. He said I could go nywhere & never get a virus, cuz MY Hard drive wasnt where stuff was going.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 07/27/13 at 06:12:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/27/13 at 04:11:53:
And Ubuntu works arguably better than MS products in that you don't have to defend yourself from virus and trojan attacks all the time.

Why not?

Three reasons, really.   First is Linux is structured differently than Windows and has different (and far fewer) vulnerabilities.   None of the bad stuff written against Windows applies to Linux.  

Linux is much tighter coded than Windows.  Windows is bulky and sloppy, Linux isn't.  Windows gets no critical review by a mass of talented programmers on an ongoing fashion after it is released.   Linux gets reviewed constantly by distro maintainers, etc. etc.

Vulnerabilities that are found in Linux get "gut fixed" in the very next kernel release -- there have been historically about two dozen viruses found and some of those were written just to make sure the vulnerability got fixed.   If you are a section maintainer in Linux they have a way to make sure you don't slack off on the job -- they will replace you with somebody more alert and better at coding.

Hackers in general like Linux and open source about as much as they HATE Microsoft and by and large they really don't bother to write nasties for it.   Plus, the uber hackers who create and support Linux would come AFTER their ass if they did, and they know it because it has happened a few times.   Evil hackers aren't stupid and they realize that the big dogs got that way for a reason.  By and large, Linux gets left alone as a hacker's very best effort results in an instant kernel patch that makes the exploit impossible and also you got you some pissed off folks combing the electrons LOOKING for you.  

Windows machines require what, an active virus scanner at all times, a trojan/rootkit scan (done from a DOS prompt), a spyware scanner, a registry cleaner and a defragger to clean up the disorganization in the hard drive.   It also requires your attention to update all of these constantly and to run them periodically.   And you still get hit with worms and trojans.

And you never have to defrag your hard drive using Linux, ever.
&, once again,, Howcum?

File structure in Windows has a file allocation table and a bunch of sectors.   Data gets put into sectors seqentially, but once a sector is full the data has to be finished in some far removed sector.   Most larger files bridge 3-4 sectors, all far spaced on the hard drive.

Think of it as a whole wall of file cabinets.  Windows puts the data in starting from the top left and leaves no space between the files in the cabinet nor any free space between drawers.   Your file gets modified, it gets bigger, but the new bigger gets stuck 4 rows down and the original may get moved or it may stay in place.  

When it gets moved or it gets shrunk it is leaving some free space on the drive "upstream".

Windows needs to write something, it goes to the top left looking for free space -- it finds the blank spot and tries to write part of the file in it.  It all won't go, so the remainder goes in the next bit of blank spot.

It all gets terribly fragmented and it takes the drive 3-4 read arm sweeps just to read all the bits and pieces to make up a single file.   Your machine gets all sluggish and unresponsive.

Why Linux works better:

Linux organizes files on the C: drive when you first install it with equal large empty spaces between each file.  Since Linux is small and tightly coded, that means little bits of data and a lot of empty space between them.   If a file needs to grow a bit, there is room right there so it just grows a little bit, right there, altogether, cohesive, right were it was originally.

Fragmentation rarely happens in Linux as on the rare occasions when a file gets too big to fit between its neighbors the whole thing gets picked up and moved to a larger empty spot.   This is why folks say Linux is "self-defragging".

Ive heard of ubuntu. I had a disk I could put in & it created like ( IIRC the words of the guy who gave it to me) it created some kinda fake hard drive. He said I could go nywhere & never get a virus, cuz MY Hard drive wasnt where stuff was going.

You were given a self booting repair distro or a self booting "portable world" distro or else a trial CD.   They are great for what they do, but since you only have one disk or one CD to work with you get limited for the features and "user comforts".   A real distro is much more complete, and they are bigger than a cd now a days (barely fit on DVDs).   Since Linux stuff is free, you download it and you install it, so you rarely actually mess with DVDs unless you are doing a fresh install.  

Fresh installs work best from hard local media like DVD, but also bigger flash drives are coming into use as they are "hard media" and they have plenty of room on them and most machines these days will boot from the USB ports (and some don't even have a CD or DVD drive in some cases).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/27/13 at 08:45:24

Thanks,, I had no idea,, & the part that I enjoyed most was the part about

Ya dont write nasties,, these people will hunt you down,,

I better defrag mine,, been a cou[pla years,,it sure gets cranky, I hafta reboot,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:34:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.