Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer) (Read 235 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer
Reply #15 - 07/27/13 at 12:03:07

My linux box has required one (1) reboot because a game locked up.   I've been running Mint on that machine since what, May 2010 and I can count the times I've actually had a lock up of Mint on my left pinky finger.

During this time I have had to fix my wife's three laptops (four now, I forgot the one I refurbed for my own use at work) multiple multiple multiple times each.  She gets something, screws up a machine, goes to the next one and inside a week she's got whatever it is crapping up that one.   She has to bring the sick ones home before she carries out the final spare -- this gives me a night or so to fix one before the one she is using craps up.    Universities and students catch every viral germ that exists and they give to the teach right along with their papers and presentations when they turn them in electronically.

I've got 1 XP, 1 Vista and 2 Win7 machines.   The very oldest is the white box, a HP Pavilion desktop that was bought back when XP was pre-service patch and it was built using the very first 1ghz AMD 64 bit Athlon chipset that ever came out.   It was put in a closet finally because the CD and hard drives quit working right ...... the issue was really MicroChoke getting twisted up by a root kit because the same drives all work fine now running on Linux.   It amuses me because windows diagnostic programs from MS and from the drive vendor all said the hard drive was toast .... unrecoverable file errors, surface damage, bad heads.  Linux said, go there do that -- and it did.  Linux saw bad sector, blanked it out.   The bad head was apparently still able to read and write, so it does.

Like I said, my oldest machine runs Linux Mint 9 like a scalded dawg and it has ZERO issues doing it.   And, to my amusement Linux Mint 9 is over a year past its support ending and guess what, it still works fine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/27/13 at 12:20:41

So, if im running Windows, how do I change over?
Is there anything I lose? I see lots of gains,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 07/27/13 at 12:47:09

Folks have been tracking the day to day donations graphically looking for trends and trying to be able to predict the end game.  The graphs are not encouraging right now.

Right now things are just about flat lining and the buzz has died down a whole lot, so folks are now predicting a failure to reach the 31 day 32 million dollar goal.

Shuttleworth can rebuzz it up some by releasing some details or showing some Youtube of prototypes in action or doing interviews with supporting phone companies --- or he can let it die as it lies, to be resurrected magically when one of his phone makers comes through with the dock and the I/O socket  (he has been using a box standard USB 3.0 socket so obviously he could do that in production as well because that is what most all phones use).

Here is a quote from an anti-Linux anti-Edge publication, please note they are very careful not to bang the convergence idea per se, just the current technology front it is pushing up against.

"The Ubuntu Edge, as perhaps the name suggests, is a bleeding-edge device for people who want to be first in line to experience the consolidated, carry-your-desktop-with-you future. In that regard, it’s a very exciting device indeed. Even if it does fail miserably, it lays the groundwork for an exciting new breed of converging post-PC devices — and, ironically enough, we’d finally have a Linux desktop that’s capable of gaining significant market share."

They said something in that last sentence though -- they fully expect somebody to do something "convergent" and Edge like very soon and they do expect it will work well enough to "gain significant market share".

And this is from the enemy camp.  This is not a fan boy.  This is a guy who actually dissed the deal as it is written, but he didn't diss the idea or the technology behind it because he KNOWS a Snapdragon 800 swinging the new 4 gig fast memory chip and one of the new SSD chips would fill the bill very nicely.

Me, I think 32-64 gig of SSD drive is a gracious plenty personally.  None of my linux partitions are that nearly that big for any of the 5 versions that have been put on my old white box's hard drive.  20 gig is typical for a full bore linux distro partion set, you see Linux doesn't take up a great deal of space, really.   Phones currently give you 16 to 32 gigs of hard SSD memory right now, so a workable range exists now without going all the way to the top.

Most phones have a memory card slot too, and those can go way up now, past 100 gig.   Use the memory card slot to store your fixed data like old pictures, movies, presentations, etc.   Or use cloud storage for the static dead stuff, it's is pretty much free for the first 5-15 gig.   I think your dock station also gives you the ability to plug in more USB devices, so put you a portable hard drive off the dock for archiving the stuff you don't need this year.

And as I have said, since I don't carry my diamonds in the same pocket as my phone, so I don't need that Sapphire touch surface either.   That's just some expensive glitz to me.

The phone is currently developed and demo'd using Nexus 4 and LG phones that really don't have killing huge specs.   It works, but it isn't kickass by any means.   It works at a mundane rate, like most of our personal machines do.

Shuttleworth wants them totally modern upper end specs because he WANTS the experience to be eye popping ass kicking fast, faster than anything on mobile -- just as fast as Android is currently on the same device as a matter of fact.  

He really wants to get up into the fast PC zone ....  and by golly he can cheat some with the OS to do just that, now can't he?

(he's using the same android drivers btw, so he knows his stuff will work just fine and at least as fast as Android runs on the same device).

So, it's time to deal another new hand in this here poker game, Mr. Shuttleworth.  

Ask for a few new cards, or you can chicken out now and fold what you got right now after only a week of fairly great success.   You got your idea out there and people want it.

Me, I think we will see us another round of bumping and betting starting next week, this here boy's poker night out is way way too young for everybody to go home jest now.

« Last Edit: 07/27/13 at 18:10:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 07/27/13 at 18:16:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/27/13 at 12:20:41:
So, if im running Windows, how do I change over?
Is there anything I lose? I see lots of gains,,

Justin, you get somebody local to help you set up a dual boot arrangement.  A local college Computer Science Department or a good public library system has a Linux hacking group that meets weekly/monthly and they have regular "upgrade parties" where you bring in your box and they talk to you while they fix you up with a dual boot arrangement.

Or if you pick your distro you can go on line and ask somebody who lives in the same town to come by and help you -- just like we do with Savage newbies who need hands on help.

Or, if you are a do it your-selfer enough to adjust your own valves, wait until April of next year and go to Barnes and Noble and buy a "UBUNTU 14.04 LTS INSTALLATION AND USE" magazine with the DVD inside the magazine cover.   It will step by step you very carefully through the processes.

Or if you are a cheapskate (yeah !!) you can get the same sort of step by step guide on line, but it will require a machine to watch the screen while you work on yours.

Dual boot is what you want -- I still have XP on my machine in case I ever needed anything off the old softwares that are still on my machine.

It is a great confidence builder to know you can "go back" just by restarting the machine and choosing XP from the boot menu.   Then you catch yourself picking Linux more and more and XP less and less until you realize you haven't gone to Windows for YEARS now and wow, it is dog terd slow and why does everything need to be updated and scanned and defragged and all that garbage before I can even get the machine to finish booting up to do something ???

(windows really does sux, you just don't really know how bad yet)

Roll Eyes

If you are nice to your upgrade buddy he can set up your browser, etc.   Every browser but MS exists on Linux, so you can get whatever you use now.  

Firefox is my favorite and it is simply Firefox when you use it on Linux.   You can import all your existing favorites and bookmarks if the person is any good at all (and most Linux advocates are really much better at it than I am, me, I just fiddle and search and ask on line until I get it right).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/28/13 at 07:32:14

Im defragging now,, less than 40%, been at it about an hour, it was Scattered,,

Took close to 2  hrs I guess,, done now tho! & I dont hear it hunting now,, much quieter

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #20 - 07/28/13 at 08:27:34

Interesting.

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 07/28/13 at 08:42:01

If you havent defragged, you need to at least have the software analyze your drive & See if it needs it.,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 07/28/13 at 08:45:34

Grin       hee hee   its a windows machine, it ALWAYS needs to be defragged.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 07/28/13 at 08:48:01

I think it really needs to BE "fragged".. in a military slang kinda way

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 07/28/13 at 09:24:56

Ok, it has been one week, seven days since the item hit and the collection of the money started.

In the first 3 days they collected nearly 5.8 million dollars and ran through the $600 phones.

In the next 4 days they only collected an additional 2 million dollars at the higher price points.

Donations are a pretty straight shallow line past 3 days and each time a new price rise comes into play the donation line gets a little flatter.

At a half million dollars a day (current rate) they will never make it to 32 million in the 31 days they have allocated for themselves.

=================

Where is all of the open discussion of the features with the vendors, where are the offers and the counter offers?

I thought this was going to be an open discussion, or does that discussion only even start if the 32 million is committed by all the supporting people?

Shuttleworth needs to have a discussion with the 2-3 phone vendors that are going to be using the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 in some fairly upper end phones with the new 3 or 4 gigabyte memory cards and the relatively larger capacity SSDs.  

Identify the very few things that need to be fixed or changed so the standard offering phone can be convergent.   Get a price for 10,000 of those modified phones.  Cook a deal with Verizon and that phone vendor that if someone presents an Ubuntu phone to Verizon they will set it up on their network.

Call it Ubuntu Edge Beta build 2.0 or something that denotes it is still a work in progress.

Or do exactly what you did with the Nexus 4 and LG phones, except spec phones with better hardware this time.   Let the fan boys buy phones and then walk them through the adaptations that are needed.

Your idea is sound, even your opposition finds no real flaws in it (except network cafes aren't going to have empty docking stations sitting around).  Your Indegogo campaign was too ritzy and the costs couldn't be collected in the time you gave yourself.

You determined your optimum price point was $600 early on but you then put a rising price point that got more expensive as things went on which has choked off your donations at this point in time.

You could fix these Indegogo fundraising errors, or take a completely different path using more standard looking phones that are already close to what you want.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 07/28/13 at 09:56:36

You really otta contact the company. maybe ask who their PR company is.

I knew  mechanic who went to the White Superior manufacturing plant & showed them how to redesign a part that was a regular problem,, Solved it for them. All they paid him was his transportation & hotel & food costs,, didnt give him hoot for the savings.. or the intangible benefit of the increased dependability,, but, he wouloda done it again I think..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 08/04/13 at 17:57:46

Well, folks are beginning to be talking about this Edge effort in the past tense now .....

Half way there in time, only 1/4 of the way in dollars ....   stick a fork in it, it's done.

================

What did the Edge campaign really do?

Folks are now talking and thinking about CONVERGENCE as the core idea, same operating system same files on all devices and they are spinning it net-based a la Chrome and Drop Box and such for holding all your data.

They also note that Acer and HP and Dell have all uncorked 21" to 24" vertical display touch screen Android devices in the last month.   Some are monitor-like, some get flat or get propped with a stand.  All have a battery to keep content alive during transport.   Such could be the "desktop" part of an Android convergence with your phone or tablet being your #2 device.

RockChip is selling large screen tablets in the orient using their custom cooked "windowing" multi-screening type Android system.   They are being used as desktops by the oriental users, sometimes sent through a cable to the family TV.   Rockchip's stuff allows up to 8 open windows and the resizing of the content seems to work pretty much 100%.  

Google has done Chromecast now -- and that is still shaking up the television industry pretty good as it is a right scary to the Comcasts and Time Warners of the world.   My phone company has suddenly dropped having to have a land line phone to get high speed internet for $29.99 ....  Time Warner cut $10 off our monthly bill to keep us from jumping ship completely .....  because they KNOW we can do it now.

Chromecast as a device to enable convergence is already here, but there is no OS that drives towards that goal yet.

Google has been being asked when they are going to merge Chrome OS and Android as they have promised repeatedly that they are going to do "sometime".

Folks who watch Google internally note that internal email traffic about mouse/keyboard/touch with multiple users and multiple windows has increased of late.

Sometimes you sense a perfect storm event is coming .... ARM chipsets have the horsepower now to do a desktop.   Chip supply is finally good enough to support all the phones, tablets, etc. etc.    Demand for phones is tapering, tablets are still increasing but not at the terrible peakish rate it was going at.   Microsoft is sidelined right now, Apple is quiet and Intel is still pushing vapor, mostly.  The Linux kernel is completely intergrated with Android (and the Android pieces are joining into all the mainline distros as by and large they are quicker and less processor intensive).

ARM and Linaro have pushed all the final bits and pieces of 64 bits into the kernel and the driver libraries.   They are refining things and fixing bugs as they crop up.  (yep, the Samsung octa-core deal was both a bug and a needed refinement, both were done inside 6 months).

Linux and Android are practically speaking unified as even the finger control systems in Linux for tap & screen manipulation are the Android based systems now.  Convergence is actually occurring naturally, with nobody at the wheel really directing it.

Convergence and Android -- Google, are you listening?

« Last Edit: 08/05/13 at 08:43:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:39:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Visionary speaks: Unbuntu Edge (phone/computer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.