struts??? (Read 96 times)
BigTrash
YaBB Newbies

drink beer hail
satan

bradenton florida
struts???
07/22/13 at 07:10:16

i have some hardtail struts drilled out to exactly the size of the bolt coming off the bike. my question is do i need to or should i make the hole bigger and put in a sleeve or a bushing??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: struts???
Reply #1 - 07/22/13 at 07:20:03

It is hard to say without knowing what your struts are made of and how thick they are.  The bushing is not necessary for a bearign surface and rotational movement as there should not be any....however if your struts are narrow metal strapping they may not adequately take up the space that the shocks used to and the strut may move back and forth on the top mounts.....and bottom bolts if you left them the stock length.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BigTrash
YaBB Newbies

drink beer hail
satan

bradenton florida
Reply #2 - 07/22/13 at 07:22:19

both bolts are left in stock position and the struts are made of inch and a half by half inch stainless steel

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/22/13 at 07:40:50

That sounds like plenty of bearing area......however you should provide washers or spacers to take up any movement and allow the nuts and bolts to become tight on the struts.

Be aware that without any suspension the loads on the frame and mounting bolts will be increased dramatically when you hit a big pothole.  The impact will be absorbed into the tire first, then whatever is left over will go into the rear wheel, swing arm, struts and frame.  If you don't have a sprung seat.....then the impact will also be transferred into your spine.

The good news is that you can easily put the shocks back on if you hate the rough ride!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BigTrash
YaBB Newbies

drink beer hail
satan

bradenton florida
Reply #4 - 07/22/13 at 08:08:52

cool thanks

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 07/22/13 at 10:04:46

Also be aware that rigid suspension on either end can have effects on braking and handling. If a wheel should chance to bounce clear of the ground only gravity brings it back down, where a spring would push the wheel downward more quickly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/22/13 at 15:37:44

Run your rear tire at 25-30 psi and enjoy the ride. I rode rigids exclusively for years. If you don't like how the rear squirms at 30 psi, run 35. No more though, or your kidneys will be filing for divorce.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:35:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › struts???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.