Send Topic Print
Verslavy installation (Read 259 times)
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Verslavy installation
07/22/13 at 05:16:20

I've finally got all the parts and stuff to do an oil change and install the Verslavy tensioner. I assume it is simply replacing the existing tensioner. Seems fairly straightforward. Any gotchas I should look out for?

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Re: Verslavy installation
Reply #1 - 07/22/13 at 05:42:17

I did this few days ago. Just be carefully with the gasket so you have sealer on right place and put on the clutch wire first so it comes correct, before you tighten the bolts.
Takes less then 2 hour.

14365412   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/22/13 at 05:47:24

Plug the "rabbit holes" that lead to the bottom of the crank case with rags or something.  If you don't, it's a promise some little bolt will go shooting in there.
And have the right tool for the cir-clip that holds the tensioner on the shaft.
And have a clear and clean field of work for when that thing slips and takes off to parts unknown.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/22/13 at 06:43:52

Easy to get the loop upside down the clutch cable hooks in,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/22/13 at 07:34:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/22/13 at 06:43:52:
Easy to get the loop upside down the clutch cable hooks in,

Easy to fix too, just put a cresant wrench on the lever and swing it up till you can flip the loop.

check the clutch lever position before you take it apart, if it's high you might consider changing the rod too.

WWW   IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #5 - 07/30/13 at 02:25:29

Alright, I got started on this last night. Drained the oil and removed the filter. Unbolted the front heat shield and brake pedal. Dropped the exhaust. Removed the clutch cover and called it a night.

The gasket was on the case side and mostly came off. What is the best way to remove the remaining parts?

The cam chain tensioner appears to be slightly bowed, will measure how far out it is tonight. (19K miles)

I briefly looked in the clutch cover for how the clutch works and did not see anything obvious. How does this go back together?

Most bolts came out easily but there were no oil or exhaust leaks. The hardest bolts to break were the drain plug (14mm) and the oil filter cover allen screws.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 07/30/13 at 08:43:17

Toroso wrote on 07/30/13 at 02:25:29:
Alright, I got started on this last night. Drained the oil and removed the filter. Unbolted the front heat shield and brake pedal. Dropped the exhaust. Removed the clutch cover and called it a night.

The gasket was on the case side and mostly came off. What is the best way to remove the remaining parts?

The cam chain tensioner appears to be slightly bowed, will measure how far out it is tonight. (19K miles)

I briefly looked in the clutch cover for how the clutch works and did not see anything obvious. How does this go back together?

Most bolts came out easily but there were no oil or exhaust leaks. The hardest bolts to break were the drain plug (14mm) and the oil filter cover allen screws.

Were you able the save the gasket? Make sure the pin in the center of the clutch is seated properly when you replace the cover. It slides out easy so be careful  Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #7 - 07/30/13 at 09:01:18

Dane Allen wrote on 07/30/13 at 08:43:17:
Were you able the save the gasket? Make sure the pin in the center of the clutch is seated properly when you replace the cover. It slides out easy so be careful  Wink

No, the gasket came apart, but I have a new one.

The clutch part is what I am curious about. First time doing this. I have not removed the clutch cable from the the clutch cover. Should it just go right back on or is there something that needs to be lined up/connected?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/30/13 at 14:51:32

nope,
make sure the clutch rod is in the hole
and as you're sliding the clutch cover home,
make sure the clip for the clutch cable is up.

but no problem if it's down, just swing the lever up till you can flip the clip.

WWW   IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #9 - 07/30/13 at 18:19:44

All righty then. The Verslavy (?) is in!

The darndest thing about this whole operation was the blah blah circlip! Mounted the exhaust and poured in some Rotella T (if the synthetic T6 is better I'll go with that from here on) and cranked her up. No exhaust leaks, no oil leaks so far.

Sounds good except for a new ticking sound around the head. I'm assuming for now that may be an oil issue since I let it drain all night and all day. I'll check again tomorrow evening before replacing the foot peg/brake/ heat shield.

Replaced the stock rear heat shield with a universal for a more streamlined look with the Dyna muffler.

Friday she is getting new footwear, a set of Shinko 712s.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 07/31/13 at 16:35:15

Toroso wrote on 07/30/13 at 18:19:44:

.... I'll check again tomorrow evening before replacing the foot peg/brake/ heat shield. ....

Wait, you started the engine with the foot pegs off?? I'm a newbie myself but isn't the crank case a split case and held together, in part, by the foot pegs? Huh

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/31/13 at 16:38:21

Dane Allen wrote on 07/31/13 at 16:35:15:

.... I'll check again tomorrow evening before replacing the foot peg/brake/ heat shield. ....

Wait, you started the engine with the foot pegs off?? I'm a newbie myself but isn't the crank case split and held together, in part, by the foot pegs? Huh

YES, it is. Bad idea, very quick way to blow out an inner gasket or "tweak" the cases enough to get a base gasket leak. If you do start it this way, make sure the spacers are in place, use a stack of washers in place of the peg mount. No risk that way.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #12 - 07/31/13 at 16:41:50

Dane Allen wrote on 07/31/13 at 16:35:15:

Wait, you started the engine with the foot pegs off?? I'm a newbie myself but isn't the crank case a split case and held together, in part, by the foot pegs? Huh

LOL, I get your point. I read them as being mounts more than securing the case. Maybe someone will elucidate us...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/31/13 at 16:46:21

The spacers between the frame and engine not only take up space, they keep the front of the inner cases stuck tight to each other. AND, these bikes can drip oil like mad with the front lower bolt out. Not sure why, but pretty common, if you see a base leak, check the foot peg mounting bolts/nuts. Have never necropsied (autopsied) a Savage engine, haven't managed to blow mine up yet... and that is rare, I wore out the bottom end of a liquid cooled bike, to the point of rod knock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 17:19:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Verslavy installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.