Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What will Detroit be like in 5 years? (Read 424 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What will Detroit be like in 5 years?
Reply #60 - 07/28/13 at 03:10:09

It may cost 40k a year, but its not costin the State that very often. Look into private owned prisons. How many times have I posted the complaint of states signing contracts to keep the prisons at 90% capacity?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #61 - 07/28/13 at 08:13:08

Midnight -
Your idea of using prison labor is a good one, except for the political power of unions.  It's unions that have prevented prisons from being able to manufacture and sell products - the unions don't want to lose jobs to prisoners.
I preached before that the real problem with public employee pensions isn't the amount of the pension, but the length of time it is paid to a retiree due to the silly retirement ages of public employees.  30 years service is fairly standard across the country.  A young person who hires in to the highway department, city clerk's office, or some other desk job is often eligible to retire with full benefits when that person is in his/her early 50s - an absurd result.  Fire fighters and police officers are different, since physical condition, endurance, agility, etc. are requirements for those jobs, so going out in one's 50s is reasonable for them.
But not for some desk jockey.  They should be compelled to stay at work until at least age 65.
School teachers are my pet peeve here - go in to teaching at 23, retire at 53.  Since many if not most teachers are female, and with the life expectancy constantly going up, especially for women, a teacher can well spend more years collecting retirement than she did working - a recipe for financial disaster.
So, you don't have to cut the amount of the pensions - just raise public employee retirement age to 65 like most private sector workers, except, again, for fire and police.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #62 - 07/28/13 at 08:20:17

Prison should never make a profit. That makes Having Prisoners profitable.
We have seen states sell off their prison system to private companies AND promise to Keep the Prisons filled to at Least 90% capacity,, AND theyre building prisons, That tells me theyre willing to create criminals,
Society doesnt want to make being taken captive & caged beneficial to people who just want to make $$$..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #63 - 07/28/13 at 11:27:57

Jog I don't believe in private prisons either. I was trying to come up with a solution for the government to recoup some of their cost. They were trying to get private prisons in Virginia, I think it failed. If someone can make a profit running the prison system the government needs to overhaul theirs.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #64 - 07/28/13 at 11:36:40

Jerry Detroits pensions were ridiculous, some of them over $100,000 for mayors, police chiefs, etc. They're in the process of cutting pensions now  because they have to and I don't feel sorry for those people. That's a clear example of politicians taking advantage of the people.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #65 - 07/28/13 at 12:20:56

The problem is that IF someone is making $$$ by Having Prisoners, it makes Creating Criminals a lucrative industry. I really dont want to live where thats the policy,, BUT, I do.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #66 - 07/28/13 at 13:18:35

Jog you have a good point but it shouldn't cost $40,000 a year to keep a prisoner. That's more than I make. I was just trying to cut cost.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 07/28/13 at 15:09:25

$40,000.00/ year to HOUSE & supervise a guy in a BOX? Seems a bit overblown, dunnitt? I mite question the stated cost.. but what are the guards paid?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #68 - 07/28/13 at 15:29:32

I guessing their medical bills might included with that.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #69 - 07/28/13 at 16:07:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/13 at 15:09:25:
$40,000.00/ year to HOUSE & supervise a guy in a BOX? Seems a bit overblown, dunnitt? I mite question the stated cost.. but what are the guards paid?

Not enough, my friend/farmhand/gamekeepr is a former corrections officer. Granted, in the 1990s, but less than $20/hr to deal with all the inherent stupidity in the system, from convicts AND admin...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #70 - 07/28/13 at 19:39:03

srinath wrote on 07/22/13 at 13:48:47:
http://www.builtstlouis.net/northside/1900_montgomery00.html

Interesting ...
Star demolishing parts of detroit was my idea.

But, If we demolish st Louis, there wont be a core to save and wont be spokes and little towns to connect ...

Detroit cant survive the way it is. It has to break into 5-6 in a controlled fashion. Its cheaper to run sewer and water to 5-6 "knots" of 80-100K people than it is to run that to that same population spread over an area 10X as much as the collective "knots" area.
Fire, police and ambulance will be in every knot, as will grocery and convenience stores if not a mega mart. So they will get there in minutes instead of hours like now ...

I am probably not the best judge of how to do this though, although I studied some city planning and whatever crap, I have never worked in that field ... and I never liked detroit anyway. If we raze St Louis ... there will be no need to leave a few knots ... we can just doze it all and take the bricks and walk away.

Cool.
Srinath.

Funny, I was thinking about Detroit.. what what I would do.. and one main thing would be offer outlying districts their independence, which would probably NOT be free.. Ie, a recoup of infrastructure, but allow the new towns resolve thier own city labor. I could see Detroit selling sewage treatment and other services.

I would expect that at some point Detroit would be this industrial complex and slums. But infrastructure would be much smaller and more manageable. I think that could be turned around.    

ABC News  This Week .. the round table. and then there is this...

"For 60 years they voted for incompetence"
"they dont have a fiscal problem they are victims of a cultural collapse"
"in the spirit of national whatever, do you want to reach out and help them for not a lot a money we are talking a few billion dollars"

Again really? we are comparing victims of Katrina with those the VOTED and chose their path? And since when is "a few billion" dollars not a lot of money .. Hey Steve toss me just half a billion... surely your egghead wallet wont miss it!

Full show here.. sadly I cant give a time mark...
http://abcnews.go.com/watch/this-week/SH559082/VDKA0_px4fhz8b/this-week-0728-...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #71 - 07/29/13 at 08:22:08

I've been to detriot in its heyday ... I still hated it.

Its a huge city with the population of a small town ... I dont think there will ever be anyone paying for anything ... the govt will have to move people form one house, to another similar house that they have that has been abandoned or they own, and get them relocated so the ycan stop having to field the whole empty city.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #72 - 07/29/13 at 09:20:49

Just read that even as the bankrupcy proceedings get underway the Detroit city council is considering whether or not to move forward with plans for a 400 million dollar taxpayer funded hockey arena.

"Oh, wait. We don't have any taxpayers anymore. Crap!"

50 or so years of dumbasses electing dumbasses and criminals to run the town; this is what you get.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 07/29/13 at 09:29:38

Paraquat wrote on 07/22/13 at 06:15:06:
Detroit is viable property for the privately run prison with the guaranteed capacity we've been hearing so much about.
--Steve

11th post in on the first page, guys.
Beat you to it.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 16:17:15

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What will Detroit be like in 5 years?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.