Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What will Detroit be like in 5 years? (Read 424 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: What will Detroit be like in 5 years?
Reply #45 - 07/25/13 at 07:40:30

Sri, you really need to come see Memphis. Makes the slums of the 3rd world look nice. Parts of the city (including many primarily black neighborhoods) are really nice, others have been horror shows since the 1960s. What the Union Army left alone in 1862 was conquered and destroyed during the civil rights movement.

I'll drive you down to Beale St on a Saturday, makes the bad old days of the French Quarter in New Orleans look down right civilized.

Pine spent last night in Memphis, he's bringing his bike by my place today for a tire and some ergonomic adjustments. Ask him what the city was like, he stayed at a motel in "the loop", the I-240 ring around the city. Have not heard from him yet this morning...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #46 - 07/25/13 at 08:11:21

Almost any city dominated by 1 party could be that way ... and let us know when pine shows up safe ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #47 - 07/25/13 at 08:23:48

srinath wrote on 07/25/13 at 07:12:31:
WebsterMark wrote on 07/24/13 at 15:04:09:
Missouri is far from a republicommunist state, but it has gone Republican lately. We have a Democratic Governor right now and even elected a dead Democratic for governor a while ago.....

St. Louis is not bankrupt, but like almost every major US city, it is run exclusively by Democrats and has been for a while, which means they spend 10 times more than needed to do anything.  St. Louis has lost population no doubt but has actually gained a little back lately. It is not a fair comparison to Detroit. St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville and Nashville are pretty much all the same city.

Detroit is in a class by itself.

OK this again ... yes find some convoluted way to blame democraps ...
Missouri is republican, and has been republican for the last 20 years atleast. That makes even the democraps in the state very republican. Like a montana democrat, is pro gun, pro life, pro small govt and anti federal govt ... isn't that called well ... republican ...
Any state that has gone for 1 party in the last 4-5 cycles in presidential is that party's state.  A NJ republican to the left of is a montana democrat ... Missouri and St Louis are republican in the national sense.

If a state is a flip flopper, OK I'd say no its not a red or blue for sure.
Memphis as well, TN is deep red ... and you should have a gun in Memphis, the criminals do, they have the second amendment and the NRA helping them ...

Cool.
Srinath.

What you aren't taking into consideration is that there are liberal Republicans and Conservative Democraps. There are many fiscal Conservative, social liberals.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #48 - 07/25/13 at 09:23:24

Yes, and in local politics, its pretty common to have the center so far off to 1 side, it can entirely blur the lines in national left vs right.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #49 - 07/25/13 at 13:41:52

srinath wrote on 07/25/13 at 08:11:21:
Almost any city dominated by 1 party could be that way ... and let us know when pine shows up safe ...

Cool.
Srinath.

All good. Trailered in fine, swapped his back tire, diagnosed a few minor glitches, had a hands on adjustments/bypasses tutorial. On his way home now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 07/25/13 at 18:53:35

Sri, I've lived in Missouri all my life, I'm guessing I know it better than you. It's a close state. The rural areas are pretty strong conservative, probably slightly more than the rural areas in other states.

It's not a convoluted way to blame the Democrats at all, its a very clear way to blame the democrats.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #51 - 07/26/13 at 08:12:56

WebsterMark wrote on 07/25/13 at 18:53:35:
Sri, I've lived in Missouri all my life, I'm guessing I know it better than you. It's a close state. The rural areas are pretty strong conservative, probably slightly more than the rural areas in other states.

It's not a convoluted way to blame the Democrats at all, its a very clear way to blame the democrats.

Your "democrats" are in the national sense republicans.
Much like NJ republicans are democrats.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 07/26/13 at 08:24:17

Not even remotely true, but whatever Sri, whatever. (Part 2)

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #53 - 07/26/13 at 15:50:59

Detroit as the Example
By Richard Grenell
Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Detroit is a great example for cities and states across the U.S. Its problems have been slowly building for decades. Years of decreasing revenues and increasing expenses have been met with political selfishness and weak leadership – all which led Detroit to recently file for bankruptcy. As it stands, Detroit is $18 billion dollars in debt. Although this is an astronomical figure, it isn't surprising…

Across the country, public pensions have grown large and grand at a time when government programs have been shrinking. Political leaders, like Detroit's, who scale back public programs but fail to cut the bureaucrats administering those programs will find themselves in Detroit's shoes soon enough. Local political officials across the U.S. should see Detroit's filing as a warning sign of what can happen when they ignore public deficits.

------------ Advertisement ----------
Will this looming event ruin Republicans?

A financial journalist based just outside of Washington DC says a brewing scandal will radically alter both the Republican Party and the nation as a whole. Get the full story here…

-------------------------------------

Detroit's interim leader and emergency manager Kevyn Orr seems well-equipped to make the tough decisions that so-far have not been made in Detroit. Orr, appointed by Michigan Governor and budget hawk Rick Snyder, is an expert bankruptcy lawyer. Snyder and Orr understand that you cannot continue to spend money you don't have. While most politicians would love to say yes to every resident, lobbyist or union member asking for increased spending or new programs, only weak politicians agree to spend money that isn't available.

Orr has signaled that Detroit's problems must be solved by Detroit and that a state or federal bailout won't fix Detroit's structural problems. Governor Snyder views the bankruptcy as an opportunity to fix the problems. "Now is our opportunity to stop 60 years of decline," Snyder said this week.

A bankruptcy filing offers Detroit a chance at a fresh start. Here are a few fixes that Orr and Snyder should implement to restore faith in Detroit's leadership:

1.        End all pension agreements previously negotiated and offer retirees a more realistic package.
2.        Right-size city government by laying off workers whose programs aren't funded.
3.        Concentrate on delivering the basic services.
4.        Separate certain areas from the city's jurisdiction in an effort to make Detroit not so vast an area to govern.
5.        Make public safety the top priority of city officials.
6.        Move city workers out of offices and into the community.
7.        Repeal all city regulations that discourage businesses from operating within the city's limits.
8.        Aggressively recruit new businesses to the city.
9.        Work with Detroit's professional sports teams to market Detroit better.
10.        Lean on Detroit's famous residents to help recruit businesses to the city.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #54 - 07/26/13 at 18:30:05

Wasn't Robocop set in Detroit? Not sure, but it seemed that it looked that way. Maybe it was prophetic. Seems I can't visit there without getting a ticket. It's like they've got rental cars marked so that they can get some out of state revenue influx. Still, felt like I was making a necessary "donation" when I pay up.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #55 - 07/26/13 at 18:31:49

thecoolerking wrote on 07/26/13 at 18:30:05:
Wasn't Robocop set in Detroit?

Yep, shoulda googled first.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 07/26/13 at 20:50:51

Wasn't Robocop set in Detroit? Not sure, but it seemed that it looked that way. Maybe it was prophetic. Seems I can't visit there without getting a ticket. It's like they've got rental cars marked so that they can get some out of state revenue influx. Still, felt like I was making a necessary "donation" when I pay up.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit....

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #57 - 07/27/13 at 23:43:05

I would love to see the old factories turned into federal prisons and make them produce something that can be sold.. It cost over $40,00 a year to keep up a prisoner. That's more than I make. They could make clothes, hardware items, anything to defer the cost we're paying now. Since no salaries are involved what they make would compete with China and cut back on our imports. Anyone that doesn't want to work add 5 years to their sentence. It would be good therapy to produce something with good quality they could be proud of all the while teaching them good work ethics.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 07/28/13 at 00:14:24

YOure not thinking that thru..
when the state benefits from prisoners,,,theyll have bunches, its already goin that way,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #59 - 07/28/13 at 00:40:50

I really don't understand what you mean Jog. The states aren't benefitting from the prisoners paying over $40,000 a year keeping them up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 13:04:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What will Detroit be like in 5 years?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.