Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
What will Detroit be like in 5 years? (Read 424 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What will Detroit be like in 5 years?
Reply #15 - 07/22/13 at 09:31:29

WebsterMark wrote on 07/22/13 at 08:05:06:
They filmed parts of that movie in St. Louis. The scene where the president's plane crashes was next door to where I worked. They needed a really dirty and dilapidated building so they came to ours!

The final bridge scene was shot on a famous bridge in St. Louis called the Chain of Rocks Bridge. There was a famous murder on the bridge. Two white girls were raped and thrown off the bridge. I don't recall Jessie Jackson showing up on that one.

I also agree with you regarding Detroit. Bulldoze it and plant trees.

They needed a really dirty and dilapidated building so they came to ours!

Wow,, thats an emotionally confusing thing,,

Yee HAA! Theyre filming HERE!
Okay,, thats cool,

They needed a really dirty and dilapidated building..

OOOokay,, well,, uhh,, I work in a really shabby place,,
not near AS cool,,

What kinda work was being done there?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 07/22/13 at 10:04:10

Paraquat wrote on 07/22/13 at 09:24:11:
My immediate prediction is more anarchy than civilized prisoners.

Anyway, there was an episode of Boondocks and the main idea of one of the season's of The Shield where people in power tried to drive surrounding property values down to purchase the land cheap with the idea of rejuvenating the area afterwards.
Buy cheap = win.
Rejuvenate the town and look like a hero = win
Make money = win.

Not saying this is the case. I think Detroit was already too much of a nuts show. But it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Especially if someone gets "government grant money" to buy land in Detroit under what will eventually be realized as false pretenses.

--Steve

The govt should relocate people from one run down hood to another run down hood of equal and similar size/value.

Then when they ahve concentrated the population in a good 5-6 little town type thing ... they let each one go on its own, connect them all to the center via train, connect em in a circle via a road and raze the entire rest and plant a mix of trees and parks near each town. Yea will never happen, Too many NIMBY's will quote Ayn Rand and sit there and scream, and they will run a city the size of 5 cities with a population of 1/5th of any of em ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/22/13 at 10:43:27

What kinda work was being done there?

if you had your picture taken at a Sears or K-Mart back in the late 70's early 80's, chances are they were developed at CPI on Washington Ave downtown St. Louis. I worked 2nd shift in the dark room. the negatives were on long 500' rolls like giant paper towel rolls. We installed the rolls in the dark on one side of the developing machine. The rolls wound through the rollers into the fluid and came out developed on the other side. The trick was 'cutting' in just before one roll ended. You had to feel the roll in the dark and when there was perhaps 20' left, you unrolled that, cut in the new roll with masking tape and rolled it  back up before it got pulled in. if you missed it, you'd have to wait for the end to come out and then re-rack a plastic sheet through the rollers and start over. It was actually a really cool job for a kid to have.

The  best part is I was riding a Yamaha XS400 Special at the time. I use to use a timer on my watch and 'race' myself home every night to see if I could beat my record time. I've had two near misses on a street bike and one of these was while I was racing home. Hit a curb on a long left hand sweeper because I was pushing to fast. somehow, I bounced over the curb, missed a pole, landed on sidewalk, jumped back into the street without missing a beat. Sh*t my pants probably.....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 07/22/13 at 11:06:00

Nice bike webby ... xs400. You raced it to work and back everyday ...  Grin

I've got an xs650 ... in pieces ... need to turn it into a cafe, projects projects projects.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/22/13 at 12:59:28

Nope, just raced home at night when the traffic wasn't a problem. Rode it 200 miles one way to college all the time. A few times, I left after last afternoon class, rode 3 1/2 hours home for dinner, turned around and rode back that night. No fairing and open faced helmet with sunglasses. I didn't know any better. Hell, people rode from Missouri to California and back on bikes that today that because of their CC's, we call suitable for only urban riding. Not sure how many miles I put on it, but like Rooster on Little Blackie in True Grit, I rode that horse until it died....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 07/22/13 at 13:16:17

Detroit may be a good place to make the new 200 mpg motorcycle.
Smallish - 3-400 cc single/twin bristling with technology ... FI, TCS, belt dr, abs, heated riding suit ready easy and cheap to maintain, easy to ride. Should be factory service warrantee covered for 30-40K miles and 5-6 years so a new rider has time to learn and get used to it ...

Bikes are easier on everything ... cheaper and easier @ every stage in its life cycle ... you can park 10 in the space of a car, it tears up the roads 1/100th as much as a car ... you can make 30 bikes melting down an old buick, and it can be 1/2 plastic like a buell blast.

Japan has them already, but import those and no one will buy it. The commute motorcycle has to be home grown idea. People commute on bikes alright ... today I saw a guy on a GSXR1000 riding in to work, I know him too ... Talk about overkill for his 8 mile commute.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #21 - 07/22/13 at 13:27:59

The Ravaging of St. Louis

Today you can walk around many of the streets in St. Louis and they're empty. Nobody's there. Four decades of urban decay have left the city of St. Louis, Missouri with some of America's most devastated urban landscapes.
The devastation is so widespread that it's hard to grasp how much has been lost. You visit 1900 Montgomery today, and you see buildings, with spacious garbage filled lots between them. The vacant houses succumb to fire or wind or gravity or the bulldozer, one after another, and another, and another, and another, and another... thousands of anothers. This is St. Louis today. A study in urban decay.

Today you can walk around many of the streets in St. Louis and they're empty. Nobody's there. Four decades of urban decay have left the city of St. Louis, Missouri with some of America's most devastated urban landscapes.
The devastation is so widespread that it's hard to grasp how much has been lost. You visit 1900 Montgomery today, and you see buildings, with spacious garbage filled lots between them. The vacant houses succumb to fire or wind or gravity or the bulldozer, one after another, and another, and another, and another, and another... thousands of anothers. This is St. Louis today.

Gee Webby, maybe you should raze SL and plant trees there before you worry about Detroit.  Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 07/22/13 at 13:48:47

http://www.builtstlouis.net/northside/1900_montgomery00.html

Interesting ...
Star demolishing parts of detroit was my idea.

But, If we demolish st Louis, there wont be a core to save and wont be spokes and little towns to connect ...

Detroit cant survive the way it is. It has to break into 5-6 in a controlled fashion. Its cheaper to run sewer and water to 5-6 "knots" of 80-100K people than it is to run that to that same population spread over an area 10X as much as the collective "knots" area.
Fire, police and ambulance will be in every knot, as will grocery and convenience stores if not a mega mart. So they will get there in minutes instead of hours like now ...

I am probably not the best judge of how to do this though, although I studied some city planning and whatever crap, I have never worked in that field ... and I never liked detroit anyway. If we raze St Louis ... there will be no need to leave a few knots ... we can just doze it all and take the bricks and walk away.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 07/22/13 at 16:12:27

Start by practicing on Memphis. Leave the "entertainment district" (Beale Street) as the core, keep the "arts district" (Midtown), let the suburbs go back to being their own cities. Raze the rest of the city. Nothing would miss it but the rats and roaches...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 07/22/13 at 16:55:45

Thanks foir the reply Webby, Sounds like you were an adventurous young guy on that bike,, glad ya lived,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/22/13 at 18:12:47

Surprised I did live through it. I don't often think about it, but I've had quite a time.

One of the more interesting things that happened to me is I got my a$$ kicked my Leon Spinks as a kid. I was the only white boy in 2nd and 3rd grade. It's a long story, but we lived in the slums for a while. It was 1968 and into part of 1970. If you remember your history, there was a lot of racial crap going on. Of course I didn't know that and neither did any other kid, but looking back on it now, the tension was palpable. My brothers were older, one in high school so he remembers it far better than I do. All I remember about Leon is he was in the 5th or 6th grade and he had hands as big as a man. it was a very short fight....actually, not really a fight at all. I couldn't have come up to much more than his waist. .My job at lunch was handing out milk cartons and something happened he didn't like! Hell, years later, other guys cashed checks for getting whipped.... I didn't!

For me as a kid, it was something of an adventure. We had no heat for long periods of time in the winter and sometimes no light. We had a wood burning stove in our room. The house was 4 stories, but the top 3 were pretty much uninhabitable. That is a great playground for a kid. I remember we did fix a room on the 2nd floor to use in the summer. The stuff I saw.....  I stepped outside once and saw two guys walking down the street with a gun. One of the guys turned and pointed at a group of men sitting on a curb and shot one guy though the neck. Hell of a lot of blood. Couldn't tell you if he lived or died. I have a weird memory of a cat licking the blood after the cops left. The old man in the building behind us died, but no one knew it until the smell got bad. My brothers told me his dog had been eating on him. Maybe they were pulling my leg on that part, not sure. Our neighbor was sneaking in from visiting his girlfriend when his wife smashed his head with a  big iron skillet. I have a memory of seeing some of his brains on the porch.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #26 - 07/22/13 at 18:19:05

The entire infrastructure is collapsing. No limit to money spent on wars / military / boondoggles etc...but no money to fix the bridges, roads, sewers, water mains, electrical wires & grids. Thank congress for that.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #27 - 07/22/13 at 19:41:22

The reason many of our cities, including Detroit are struggling or falling? Globalization...It didn't just destroy the middle class, and drive down wages of all jobs, not just the remaining manufacturing jobs. It weakened Democracy in general, and it welcomed in our current Fascism.

Almost never mentioned is the levels of debt we have incurred, in our Cities, States, and the Federal Government. Those jobs used to pay taxes here in America. But not any longer. They aren't supporting any American "Dream" these days, they aren't paying sales, gas, state, federal, property, or any other tax.

I don't think we can blame Detroit, or workers for the quality of the cars, or the eventual failure of sales due to quality foreign vehicles flooding the US market. I have always wondered if Japan was literally 'given' the small car market while Detroit continued to churn out the big gas guzzlers.

These were decisions made at the top levels of the companies, to outsource jobs, ignoring trends, ignoring quality, and allowing Japan to take the lead on all of that.

Those were but a few top-down problems, that has all but destroyed the industry and the city, not workers "asking for too much." I'm sick of that BS meme. Even with what unions did ask for, it was still but a scarce living for a family. But at least it was a somewhat pleasant living...compared to now, anyway.

Industry and national trade gave rise to cities. Without industry, industrial plants and trade within America (not primarily with foreign countries), the great cities are doomed.                                                                                      

To convince people to "blame the unions" for dang near everything was a masterful achievement for the profit mongers.

To just blame 'blacks' for the demise of the great cities of America being less than honest.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 07/22/13 at 20:09:09

No one is gonna ever accuse you of living a sheltered life, Webby! Dude,, YOu had some kinda life as a kid,, you came out amazingly sane,, considering,,
yea,, that was kinda left handed,, Smiley

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/22/13 at 20:25:09

You have no idea Jog!.....   I can honestly say I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I've done all kinds of things, been from one end of the planet to the other, gone hungry and have eaten in restaurants you would not believe, slept on the floor and in hotel rooms bigger than my house, went from no parents in the slums to having my brothers and I reunited to grow up in  a middle class neighborhood, raised by my two aunts. My aunt brought in 4 of us kids into her house after she was just getting ready to work part time and travel. both my aunts were recent widows.  In her own house, she gave up her bedroom so 3 boys could stay together. For the next 7 or 8 years until we began moving out, she slept on a pull out couch in the dining room. Simply amazing.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:30:57

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What will Detroit be like in 5 years?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.