Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
What will Detroit be like in 5 years? (Read 424 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What will Detroit be like in 5 years?
07/21/13 at 07:14:52

Is there any possible outcome for Detroit that isn't a disaster?

Government clearly cannot pay their way out of this. Business's returning is the only way out but with a workforce that's uneducated and addicted to government handouts, how in the world can enough business's start up to the level needed to initiate a recover?

I can't think of a situation in the US like this ever before. We are literally going to "lose" a major US city.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What will Detroit be like in 5 years?
Reply #1 - 07/21/13 at 08:55:54

thats just the beginning,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 07/21/13 at 10:09:30

While we keep sending billions overseas.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/21/13 at 10:44:09

Innit odd how the People , just poor, dumb taxpayers, not ivy league school educated, yacht owning, multimillionaires like the slime that oozes up & down the halls of congress,, innit just odd that we can see how this is going, but we keep getting told our economy is improvioing .. there IS no inflation, unemployment is better,, lie after lie,,&, depending on which party is talking, some will believe, others will call it lies, change the party doin the talkin 7 ya chaNGE a certain %age of who believes & who calls it lies.

amazing,,
thankfully, I dont care about the source, I only actually trust one man in The Game & thats Ron Paul. If he says it, Im usually willing to believe it w/o any digging. If someone says something, be it R or D, if I dont kinda believe its true already, Im not too liable to believe it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 07/21/13 at 12:10:00

Jog I agree with you about Ron Paul. I know his son is not his father but if he runs I will vote for him. All the Pubs run last time were complete idiots and Rand is no idiot. I definitely don't want Hillary running the country.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/21/13 at 12:26:25

nor do i,, given the hillary vs. rand option, id be forced to vote rand, tho i dont trust him. she. otoh, i DO trust. i trust her to do exactly as the globalists who would put her in office want. rand, IF he is allowed to be the selected/appointed "president" ( puppet) he will first have to "kiss the ring" & demonstrate that HE can deliver the goals of the globalists better than she can. the people we are allowed to choose from dont want for america what We the People want. Kennedy THOT he was the President & was doing things he thot would benefit We the People, as did Reagan,,
pre-bullet & post bullet decisions that came outta his office? I havent been able to lay hands on anything that would satisfy my question,, but, if i could id like to see what he said & what policy decisions he supported before & after, to see if he changed in his approach to leading the nation after he was shot.,.

The attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan occurred on Monday, March 30, 1981, just 69 days into his presidency.

but,, theres really not much time to look at before he was shot, to get a real good idea just what he was trying to do. ill always believe the bush family had a hand in it,,

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 07/21/13 at 20:31:55

Warning to all police, firefighters, schoolteachers: Most government pensions to be confiscated within a decade
Inbox
x

to
http://www.naturalnews.com/041298_unfunded_liabilities_retiree_pensions_gover...
(NaturalNews) Last week, Detroit declared bankruptcy, becoming the largest city in U.S. history to take such drastic action in the face of financial insolvency. A declaration of bankruptcy isn't what most people think it is, though: it's not just a statement of "we're broke!" It's actually a way for the city to clear its slate of all financial obligations and not pay the retirees it owes.

What are the largest financial obligations the city facing? Pensions. $3.5 billion worth of pensions, to be exact.

Yes, Detroit owes former government employees -- teachers, firefighters, cops and more -- a whopping $3.5 billion in current and future payments. Except Detroit doesn't have $3.5 billion to pay the pensions. The city is in a state of economic collapse. Remember, the U.S. government used billions in taxpayer money to help General Motors move its manufacturing offshore to countries like China. As a result of economically-insane actions and criminal mismanagement, a city that used to be the hub of industrial output in America has become a ghost town of abandoned buildings, crumbling infrastructure and financial destitution.

But even as all this was becoming apparent, the government workers there continued to collect fat paychecks and pensions, all based on the promise that endless population growth would out-pace the rise in pension obligations. Many pensioners are owed over $100,000 a year from the government, and this is true across California, Illinois and many other states as well.

Chicago, for example, owes $19 billion in pension payments that it doesn't have, and the city of Los Angeles is more than $30 billion in the hole. The story is much the same in every major U.S. city.

As the Detroit Free Press now reports:

Early this year, the Pew Center released a survey showing that 61 of the nation's largest cities -- limiting the survey to the largest city in each state and all other cities with more than 500,000 people -- had a gap of more than $217 billion in unfunded pension and health care liabilities. While cities had long promised health care, life insurance and other benefits to retirees, "few ... started saving to cover the long-term costs," the report sai

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 07/21/13 at 21:30:32

"The attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan occurred on Monday, March 30, 1981, just 69 days into his presidency".
but,, there's really not much time to look at before he was shot, to get a real good idea just what he was trying to do. ill always believe the bush family had a hand in it",,

You are correct. The Bush crime family were also deeply involved in the Kennedy assassination (as in CIA) as papa Bush a CIA operative, was documented to have been in Dallas the day Kennedy was shot...yet he denies he was there, and unfortunately he cannot remember where he was on that day as there is no documentation of him being anywhere else. Preston Bush (long ago) had many illegal money making dealings with the Nazi's during WW !!. The Bush crime family was also directly responsible for 9/11, the fake war with Iraq, and scores of other illegal acts of treason which hurt the USA and it's people. All in the name of MONEY.

Unfortunately Rand Paul is no Ron Paul....He's in it for the money too....don't trust him.  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 07/21/13 at 22:13:25

"Is there any possible outcome for Detroit that isn't a disaster"?WM

130 miles south of me is Detroit USA...Motown. The motor city, the automotive capitol of the world, the only city in America where you go directly south into Canada... And it's not what you think it is. It's a great city USA.

By Mitch Albom

Detroit Free Press Columnist
Dear America,

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we got up this morning.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we woke the kids. We went to church.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we ate breakfast. We cleaned the plates. We called friends. We lit the grill.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we carry on.

Yeah, we’re broke. But we saw it coming. We’ve had an outsider (a Republican stooge from the Gov's office) in charge for the last four months. His background is bankruptcy. The first word of his job title is “emergency.”

Yeah, we’re broke; we’re not naïve. We know it. We expected it. We watched for years as our leaders mismanaged funds, made patchwork repairs, borrowed and borrowed and didn’t pay back.

Does that sound familiar? Hasn’t our federal government done the same?

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we’re not the first — or the last.

Yeah, we’re broke.

It was the perfect storm. We’re built for 2 million. We’re down to 700,000 people. We’re too big for our numbers. We’re too small for our britches.

Yeah, we’re broke. Our city grew on automotive explosiveness and shrunk on economic implosion. Manufacturing died or was sent away. Jobs dried up. So did tax revenue. Our pension funds teetered; when the big recession hit, they fell over. Other cities suffered similar fates. We just took it harder.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we’re not some national joke. We didn’t “have it coming.” What happened to us nearly happened to New York City — the great New York City — 38 years ago. Our No. 1 ranking on Forbes’ “Most Miserable Cities” list might sting, but Chicago is listed as No. 4 and Modesto, Calif. — home of “American Graffiti” — was No. 5, which means misery is equally scattered across this nation.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we’re uniquely built to handle it. We don’t give up. We don’t start crying. Some had us buried when the auto industry nearly sank four years ago.

It’s still here. So are we.

Yeah, we’re broke. But there’s a lot of people out there filing Chapter 11, Chapter 7, Chapter 13, a lot of people having their houses yanked away, their life savings depleted, their companies shuttered.

Yeah, we’re broke.

How’s your city doing?

Or your bank account?

Yeah, we’re broke.

But it’s not who we are. It’s not our first name. We’ve been “Burning Detroit” and “Rust Belt Detroit" "and snow belt Detroit” and “Unemployed Detroit” and “Abandoned Detroit” and “Racially Divided Detroit.” We’re not any of those.

We’re not “Bankrupt Detroit,” either.

What we are is a city of dogged citizens, all races, all ages, who still work, pay our bills and take care of our responsibilities — even if our leaders don’t do the same.

What we are is a city whose kids want to stay here and live downtown, whose business folks refurbish office buildings and build new stadiums, whose volunteers board up rotting houses and beautify decaying neighborhoods, because beneath the bad news, we still believe in green shoots of a good future.

What we are is a city of Americans who trusted Americans would buy American cars, trusted our elected officials would look out for us, trusted the U.S. economy could withstand anything.

If we were guilty of anything, it’s putting our trust in the wrong places.

Which — in this housing crisis, government secrets, Wall Street-wins era — makes us pretty typical, doesn’t it?

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we’re no different than you. Just maybe geographically unluckier. Cities rely on many things: industry, taxes, labor forces, local leadership. Those things may have collapsed under the weight of decades here, but we, the citizens of Detroit, have not. We still get up, go to work, kiss the kids, believe tomorrow could be better.

We still call this place home. Proudly.

Yeah, we’re broke.

But we’re not broken.

And if you know anything about us, you know this: We’re not going anywhere

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/22/13 at 05:13:56

Clever writers can spin all the Eminim type commercials (imported from Detroit...that was a great marketing phrase) they want but Detroit is gone and it ain't coming back, not in our lifetimes anyway. Unions killed it and their leadership walked away with millions, worthless school administrators have massive pensions protected by judges fawning over Obama. I think it deserves to die. I hope the real reasons are on full display for all to see. Again, maybe this is another shot across the bow and we'll pull back from obamacare.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/22/13 at 06:15:06

Detroit is viable property for the privately run prison with the guaranteed capacity we've been hearing so much about.

Anyone watch Boondocks? Or ever watch The Shield?

--Steve

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/22/13 at 07:02:47

maybe the better question Paraquat is do you remember the movie Escape from New York.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 07/22/13 at 07:39:32

WebsterMark wrote on 07/22/13 at 07:02:47:
maybe the better question Paraquat is do you remember the movie Escape from New York.

That movie was a classic ... no way Detroit ever gonna turn that cool ...
Now Escape from LA is more like it ...

BTW large swaths of detroit needs to be levelled and planted with forest.
Its a city with the population of charlotte, that will fit manhattan, boston and San francisco. Leave it as 3-4-5 burgs and a center and raze the rest and turn to a forest. Run trains across from the 4-5 spokes to the center and forget about it. Have a loop connecting all of those and it can be 5-6 small towns in a circle round "detroit".

Detroit was a worthless city in the mid 90's when it was supposedly in its hey day.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/22/13 at 08:05:06

They filmed parts of that movie in St. Louis. The scene where the president's plane crashes was next door to where I worked. They needed a really dirty and dilapidated building so they came to ours!

The final bridge scene was shot on a famous bridge in St. Louis called the Chain of Rocks Bridge. There was a famous murder on the bridge. Two white girls were raped and thrown off the bridge. I don't recall Jessie Jackson showing up on that one.

I also agree with you regarding Detroit. Bulldoze it and plant trees.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/22/13 at 09:24:11

My immediate prediction is more anarchy than civilized prisoners.

Anyway, there was an episode of Boondocks and the main idea of one of the season's of The Shield where people in power tried to drive surrounding property values down to purchase the land cheap with the idea of rejuvenating the area afterwards.
Buy cheap = win.
Rejuvenate the town and look like a hero = win
Make money = win.

Not saying this is the case. I think Detroit was already too much of a nuts show. But it's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Especially if someone gets "government grant money" to buy land in Detroit under what will eventually be realized as false pretenses.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:39:07

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What will Detroit be like in 5 years?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.