Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I have a problem.... (Read 167 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I think I have a problem....
Reply #15 - 07/21/13 at 12:51:39

why are they called Hydra Glide?

those forks make it look like turning the bars would just be hard,,they just look heavy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 07/21/13 at 13:07:41

1947 and earlier Harley motorcycles used the springer front forks.
In 1949, a year after receiving the "Panhead" engine, the FL was given a new front suspension and a model name to go along with it. In honor of their first production motorcycle with hydraulically damped telescopic forks, the FL was officially called the Hydra-Glide. This name would change twice in the history of the basic large-framed FL bikes, each time signalling an improvement in the bike's technology. In addition, the Glide ending would be used on other models, based on both and FL and FX formats.

In 1952, the Hydra-Glide's transmission standard hand-shift/foot-clutch was joined by the optional foot-shift/hand-clutch. Although the original format continued to be offered as an option until 1978.[2] 1952 was also the last year of the 61 cu in (1,000 cc) EL, making the FL the last remaining large-frame model.

The FL model was given a new frame in 1958. This frame included a rear swingarm suspended by a pair of coil-over-shock suspension units. In honor of this fully suspended chassis, the FL's model name was changed from Hydra-Glide to Duo-Glide.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 07/21/13 at 15:32:44

Well,, Thank you for that blast of history & info,,Ive heard these names & never had a clue as to how they came to be & what they really meant,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 07/21/13 at 16:18:50

Really mean?

Springer = comfort, handling and no brake dive

HydraGlide = put a mushy front end on an otherwise just fine platform

DuoGlide = engine donor

Wink

Drives our friend Doug bonkers, he even wants to fully restore my hunk of scrap iron Honda CL72... because it is "old and rare now"... Of course, he thinks the Geezer Glides with 3 rear bumpers and a couple hundred extra lights are cool too...  Lips Sealed

Different strokes for different folks, you can finally buy a wide 21" front wheel for FLs that works with the factory fender. Keep the coverage, but add improved handling.

I know it's a softail, exposed shock frames are hideous...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/21/13 at 16:27:37

DuoGlide = engine donor

Thats just funny,,  Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:29:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › I think I have a problem....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.