Send Topic Print
S40 Backrest (Read 157 times)
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 Backrest
07/20/13 at 13:56:40

I'm in the process of installing OEM backrest I purchased on here for my 2006 S40.  

So far I've discovered that the bolts to hold the directional in place won't work from the S40 because the heads are too large to fit into the smaller holes on the Savage side plates.   Planning to use longer bolts and install rings under the side plates for tie-downs.

Savage side plates aren't as thick as S40, so shorter bolts are needed to mount them.

The S40 has a pin protruding at the rear of the side plate that is inserted into a rubber grommet mounted on the fender.  The savage doesn't have this - does anyone have a solution?  Seems like the rear of the Savage side plate would be unsupported without something there, but not familiar with how the Savage supported the rear of the side plate?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: S40 Backrest
Reply #1 - 07/20/13 at 14:22:56

The S40 has a pin protruding at the rear of the side plate that is inserted into a rubber grommet mounted on the fender.

idk how important that ppin is to keeping the side piece lined up. if you grind it off, you may regret it. only other option is, drill a hole & poke a grommet in there. a grommet doesnt necessarily have to haVE  a flange on either side of the piece its in, just someting on the pin to keep it from rattling, hose?

seems to me, once the bolts are tite, that pin isnt doing anything,,

it may basically be a production line line up aid to help them install that part & not risk scrapin paint up. id expect you could get by w/o it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/20/13 at 16:01:23

It may very well be an alignment aid, but I'm putting Savage side plates on, and given the likelihood of loading the backrest, it should have some sort of support.

I was hoping someone on here had already made this conversion, and had suggestions on how to support the rear end of it.

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #3 - 07/20/13 at 16:21:24

I put and back rest off a 99 Savage on my 07 S40.  I just went to the hardware store and bought all new stainless steel hardware.  The side plates (pillion handles) bolt on with four bolts for the sissy bar set up.  The sissy bar pillion handles use bolts at the rear where the S40 ones use the pins/grommets.  The rear-most bolts goes through the same hole in the fender and threads into the bottom of the sissy bar struts.  It's rock-solid once you get it all tightened up!

IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/13 at 18:19:28

Thank you!  I figured someone else must have made this conversion.

The part I'm confused about is the rear mounting of the side plates.  There are no holes in the Savage side plates at the rear that would line up with hole in the fender where the S40 pin was located.

Did you have to drill the side plates?

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #5 - 07/20/13 at 19:37:55

No drilling required.  When you position the sissy bar into the side plates you will see the lower threaded holes on the sissy bar line up with the existing holes in the fender.  There are six bolts that hold the sissy bar in place; two vertical and four horizontal. The lower two horizontal ones go through the fender (from the tire side) into the sissy bar and the upper two just go through the side plates and sissy bar.  Try dry fitting the sissy bar and the side plates and it will become clear to you.  
Check this out: http://www.bikebandit.com/1997-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147792#sch239634
The lower horizontal bolts in the sissy bar (#8 in the diagram) go through the fender.

IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/20/13 at 20:14:45

Thank you again!  The diagram makes it very clear where everything goes!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 07/20/13 at 20:51:52

Dan

I put the sideplates and backrest of my 96 onto my 07 ... The part I doin't understand is  "What Suzuki was thinking (or lack of) when they droped the backrest in the first place ?"  Huh     I can't picture a bike without having a plan for the pasenger to not slide off ?  
Or  ...  having a plan for a luggage rack .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/21/13 at 08:10:00

Bike's been around so long they probably wanted to change the look.  I'm converting it so I'll have a place to strap a pack on.

Wish I had looked at one on a bike beforehand however because I definitely would have fabricated extensions to make it higher.

Does anyone have suggestions/experience with extending the backrest?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 07/23/13 at 05:15:33

Dan, my wife's savage has a short backrest, I drilled thru it and attached some 3/4" square tubing to make for a tall backrest, its kinda' rednecked but it works.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/23/13 at 07:20:40

Thank you!  Once a pack is strapped on you won't be able to see it anyway!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 07/23/13 at 07:27:33

dan49829 wrote on 07/23/13 at 07:20:40:
Thank you!  Once a pack is strapped on you won't be able to see it anyway!

Yup, she has my old Kuryachn (sp) tour pack on it now. Lotsa room for her stuff.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/23/13 at 09:11:51

Looks really good on there!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home