Send Topic Print
Trip Odometer (Read 771 times)
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Trip Odometer
07/20/13 at 13:18:04

I've seen this mentioned before, but not that anyone came up with a solution (a serious one).

http://shop.rycamotors.com/mini_speedometer.html

This link is for a mini speedometer with trip odometer for $50, mounting bracket is $40.  I'm sure there are others available.

Has anyone installed one of these (or others?), how did it work (any specific problems?), and if so, what did you do with the stock speedometer and (assuming) empty cavity in the middle of your fuel tank?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Trip Odometer
Reply #1 - 07/20/13 at 14:00:23

Most of us just buy a combination type luggage lock from the Dollar store and attach to the bars... set the combination to the mileage at fill-up time...
... hanging on leather strap next to clock...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/20/13 at 14:10:05

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/21/13 at 02:25:08

I went with one from Dime City Cycles and replaced the stock speedo with a voltmeter.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
JenRides
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Everett, WA
Reply #4 - 07/21/13 at 13:23:14

That looks pretty sweet!

2013 Suzuki Boulevard S40, Pearl Mirage White / Metallic Veil Silver, Clear Windshield, S40 Engine Guard, S40 Saddlebags, Kisan pathBlazer, Kisan tailBlazer...
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/21/13 at 16:05:34

Thanks!  Never had a bike without a trip odometer, so having a hard time adjusting!

Toesnoes, yours looks amazing!  Do you mind sharing how you installed the voltmeter in the speedo opening - is that rubber around it?

Do you know if I would be able to install one of the $50 mini-speedos

http://shop.rycamotors.com/mini_speedometer.html

in the speedo opening instead of the voltmeter?

Thank you again for the suggestions!  Maybe I'll strap my old cell phone on the handlebars in the meantime.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/21/13 at 16:36:07

you mite could install a speedo down there, but looking down & focusing there takes eyes off the road a lot longer than id like.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/21/13 at 16:46:42

I live in a rural area, and main objective is to have a trip odometer.  I'd rather use the available space rather than mount a second speedometer on the handlebars.

I'd love to be able to mount an aftermarket speedo with odometer in that space using the existing cable and wiring.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/21/13 at 17:08:25

Veypor? IIRC, some have found them to be the ticket

IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/21/13 at 18:50:43

Thank you!  They look pretty high tech... and expensive!  

Based on suggestions I received here, I now have a small luggage lock on my handlebars for an odometer, but actually the least expensive and most creative was the suggestion to fill up at the 100 mile mark!  I filled up at 612 today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/22/13 at 12:55:28

Here's my solution, which you may get a laugh out of! Wife and I are long-time bikers (Specialized and Novara!) and have used a variety of cycle computers. I picked up a cheap Bell model from Walmart ($12) and fitted it to my S40. Works great, more accurate than that in-tank disaster Suzuki put in. I use the clock, the speedo and the trip odo. I mounted the unit behind the front brake reservoir to protect it from wind and debris. Also found out the stock speedo has a 10% hi error. A riding buddy went one up and mounted a gps unit, expensive but tops!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/22/13 at 12:58:55

+1 on the bicycle speedo.  I have that on one bike and a Vapor on the other one.
On the bicycle speedo, just DO NOT GET the wireless kind.  The motorcycle puts out a lot of static that can interfere with the signal.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 07/22/13 at 13:05:37

My solution is to get a grease pencil, and write the mileage + 100 (or your actual range on a full tank) when you fill up on the mirror. It is really easy to see, and does not interfere with your use of the mirror. When the odometer is getting close to the number on the mirror, look for a gas station. Cost is only the grease pencil, and you can't get much cheaper than that.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/22/13 at 16:44:22

I ordered a Sigma bicycle computer, but it looked so tacky that I gave it to my better half to put on her pedal bike (of course the luggage lock hanging from my handlebars doesn't exactly look badass either!)  Suzuki probably saved less than 5 bucks by omitting something most of us have come to take for granted.

With all the Savage/S40's out there I'm surprised no one has come up with an aftermarket replacement that fits in the tank.  The best option I've seen so far is the one ToesNose posted, but looks expensive and time consuming.

I've seen aftermarket speedos advertised for less than $50 online, but don't have time to experiment with installation options.  Was hoping someone had already been down that road.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/22/13 at 17:46:43

Once I realized I didnt have one I just accepted it. Id rather have one,but, ehh,, Ill live.. the grease pencil or luggage lock would be my answer, if I just couldnt tolerate it. Its just not that hard to stop & get gas, I can look in the tank & see if im close to hittin reserve. If I was at all worried Id get a pint, ss, screw on lid & put some pushmoline in it,.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:34:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trip Odometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.