Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Universal Turn Signals on the Savage (Read 400 times)
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Re: Universal Turn Signals on the Savage
Reply #15 - 07/25/13 at 08:07:38

got the bulbs in. tested them before install and they work great! thanks guys for the help!

ran into a problem installing them on the rear. did you use stock turn signal holes? mine are thicker and the bolt on the new signal isnt long enough to make it through. trying to figure something out without drilling a hole in the side rail.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/25/13 at 09:41:47

You need a longer screw?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/25/13 at 11:02:56

Putting aftermarket turn signals in the stock location is a bit problematic.  The stock ones had a screw that went in the side of the mounting stud....and the wires could then feed into the side rail without an issue.  The aftermarket ones have a threaded stud and you need to install a nut on the back.....and they there may not be room for the wires to feed through....and I believe the sleeve the stock turns signals were mounted in are too long to allow most turn signal mounts to be used as the threaded portion is not long enough.

You might consider mounting the turn signals back by the tail light as some have done.  You might consider having someone grind or mill the stock turn signal mounting sleeves on the side rails so that they are not so deep and allow the new turns signals to mount in the existing holes.  Or you might consider using the stock holes to mount a stud - do which you attach a bracket that would hold your new turn signals.

Here area some threads you could have found in the technical section under lighting:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1137475021

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gitarzan/GitarzansBracket/gitarz...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1265238686

This index of links to Tecnhical Articles is used way too little.....it is a realy good source of information:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/25/13 at 18:09:25

anyone got any clever ways to make nice spacers for the common mini bullet signals?

The hollow bolt that screws into the bottom of them isn't long enough for much. I was trying to see how I could use the factory rubber extensions but it doesn't look like it's going to work.

I guess the easiest was is to just bend up some flat bar, bolt it through the existing fork mount and then bolt the bullet to it, but that will leave the wires dangling in the wind which will look naif

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/25/13 at 19:26:29

WWW   IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #20 - 07/27/13 at 19:03:43

this is what I ended up doing. bought ubolts from Home Depot and stole the washer/clamp off it. used washers to bolt in existing mount hole. also bought some cap nuts to try to keep it somewhat matching. definitely not custom looking but it's small enough to not be ugly. the mod to the existing signals would have worked but I want to sell or keep those.

I did have to drill out the holes to widen a bit for the bolts but other than that this was an easy mounting mod. the comparison photo doesn't have them mounted fully just a mock up. still have to wire them up and take the front fork mount off. but ready to ride!

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 07/28/13 at 07:33:09

Nick, might wanna check with local police or trooper or DOT, I don't think red is legal. I think it has to be amber on the front, don't know for sure so thought i'd ask, been awhile since I was stationed in ark.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 07/28/13 at 08:55:02

Order some amber lenses, front must be yellow, rear can be yellow or red.

Much improved look on your bike Nick. The stock "lobster eye" signals are horrifying, aren't they?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #23 - 07/28/13 at 13:00:55

thanks! I really like the look of it. slims up the whole bike. and they are amber. just a darker thicker looking lens. caught some pics of the flashers on:

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 07/28/13 at 14:22:53

Sweet! nice lookin' and the profile is much improved.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 07/28/13 at 15:10:11

Old, did you ever get out of that back brace?  

Just been thinkin' about you and the early summer trip  ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 07/28/13 at 23:00:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/28/13 at 15:10:11:
Old, did you ever get out of that back brace?  

Just been thinkin' about you and the early summer trip  ....

Yeah, outta the brace, cept if i'm gonna do any kind of lifting....still lotsa pain and stiffness, that should ease up with time.

Got an appointment tomorrow with my cancer doc, just had a PET scan, full body, to see if i'm clean (fingers crossed). Bit worried cause of the fractured back, gonna ask him about the bone density too.

Was hoping to make it to WD's on a savage for me, but can't get no one to commit on the Harley buy and I haven't put the wifes 250 rebel up for sale yet.

Can't be totin' around bikes with the back all snarled up Embarrassed

Thanks for askin'  Smiley Can't wait till next year, to see were we are going!
If I get at least one of the bikes sold i'll make an offer on the savage a friends friend has and might, just might, make it to WD's.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 07/29/13 at 06:00:36

Drive up. Bad back is a more than acceptable reason to be on four wheels. Most of the roads around here a Savage is overkill if you want to trailer up the baby bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:46:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Universal Turn Signals on the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.