ZX11 - opinions (Read 129 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
ZX11 - opinions
07/19/13 at 10:31:23

What do you think about a ZX11 in decent shape.  Looks good. Supposed to have basically new tires.  Needs carbs cleaned.  Somewhere around $1000.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: ZX11 - opinions
Reply #1 - 07/19/13 at 10:34:17

Year and variant? Check http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-streetbikes-sportbikes/ for any known issues with the model you are interested in.

Keeping it a sportbike or did you score an old Amen Savior chopper frame in need of a modern power plant?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/19/13 at 10:53:19

Nice bike if you need to go 170mph... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 07/19/13 at 12:42:31

Don't know the year and variant yet.  I haven't gone to see it.  From what I've read so far, they said the zx11 is more of a sport touring setup than full-blown sport.  Slightly deturned to make torque over a wider range of speeds. The factory suspension sucks...change rears and either 15w oil or revalve for the front.  Said the engine is almost bulletproof if oil is changed regularly. Also reported to get 56mpg.

It'd never see 170 with me on it, Sero.  Thinking more along the lines of something a little bigger and heavier for superslab / long distance type cruising.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/19/13 at 13:05:17

ZX with clip on bars, or ZRX with normal handlebar? The ZRX is a stellar machine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 07/20/13 at 20:13:00

I looked at it today.  It's in pretty good condition. 37,000 miles.  Needs carbs cleaned. Cranks over well.  Sounds as though it has good compression. 2 brand new michelin tires. Talked him into $800 due to the carb issues.  

He told me the only problem he's ever had out of it was carbs.  If it sits for a week or so, it's a real pain to start.  3 weeks or so and it's always pull and clean the carbs before it will run again.  Sounds sort of like a pain to me.  I've never seen a bike that's that picky with the carbs.  Does this sound anywhere near normal? Never dealt with a Kaw before.  Not sure about their carbs.

It's a 1991 ZX1100 C2. Bars bolt onto top of triple tree at each side.  Not connected through the middle and locked in place with risers like normal bars.  

Very comfortable seating / riding position.  Feels funny with feet tucked way under instead of having some room.

A little over 600 lbs. and waaaay wider than the savage. Some mini apes, a double bucket touring seat, some hard-side bags, forward controls...will make a nice bike.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/20/13 at 20:44:14

Old carbs do get cranky.   It is a fact.

I had an XV535 a year or so back that would start and run like clockwork, provided you rode it at least once a week.

My theory was that the gas evaporated in the bowls, causing "bad gas" syndrome and the resulting symptoms when you tried to start it were about like flooding.

(the bike didn't fire the bad gas, the bad gas vapor mist accumulated in the cylinders and fuel fouled out the plugs)

My solution was a can of ether "quick starting fluid" and a small hole in the intake manifold that was plugged up normally with a small cork.

If it had been a while since I had ridden it, I'd shoot some either into the hole, pop the cork back in and fire it up with no choke and no great amount of throttle.  The bike would crank over on the ether and fire up, then it would take some coaxing with the throttle (no choke) to stay running until the bowls got themselves regulated again with good gas.

Yeah, sounds kinda jack leg, right?   Compare the time to pop the cork, squirt a blast of ether into the hole, put the cork back and crank her on up to TEARING THE CARBS APART OR FIGHTING IT FOR 2-3 HOURS TO GET IT TO  JUST FIRE UP AND RUN FOR THE FIRST TIME WITHOUT DYING OUT AND "FLOODING" AGAIN.

No contest in my eyes, that there quick starting fluid stuff exists for a reason, so you can use it when you need to use it.   Just remember, the engine will crank up fine off the ether alone, you don't need choke and you don't need any more throttle than will still keep it running when the ether mist runs out.  (not much throttle)

And yes, you could fix the multiple old carbs right, if you had unlimited money and time and spare parts, but on the 20 year old Yammie the spare parts had been dropped ten years ago by Yamaha so that wasn't even a possibility.   A careful disassembly and cleaning and bowl level adjustment was all that was in the cards for that particular old "V" twin engine and its dual carb set up.

Many of our younger riders with cranky starting bikes might pay attention to this little trick.   Eventually you will figure out what is really wrong and fix it, but until then this little trick can keep you going with a minimum of hassles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 07/20/13 at 21:44:52

That's an idea there.  I had thought of using a can of ether but didn't know just how well it would be tolerated by a bike engine.

I'm still debating on buying it or not. But, at that price, I could easily get my money back once it's running.

If I decide to go for it, I might have to take a can with me.  Not sure if the fuel pump is mechanical or electric on this bike.  I'm figuring, probably electric. Just found out the pump only runs with starter button pushed or engine running.  If carbs evap the fuel while sitting, it might take a while cranking over to fill them again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/20/13 at 22:03:46

Naah,, just cycle the key on & off,, No need to hit the starter, key on, fuel pump runs a few seconds, do that 3 times,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/21/13 at 16:07:56

..... do that three times and you might have full float bowls again, but they will be strongly contaminated with evapogas to the point it won't ignite worth a durn from a weak spark.

Did I mention old bikes have old electrics, old coils, old transistor modules, old everything?   Weak spark comes with the territory I am afraid.

My XV had a fuel pump you could hear crank up when you got to the on position -- you could wait for it to stop, turn it off, turn it on and it would hit another pulse or two -- but the bike still wouldn't fire over.

A kiss of ether, the bike spun right on over instantly and once it was turning good it could drink that sorry gas mixture and still keep running at partial throttle until you got it warmed up good and the gas all swapped out in the bowls.  

Then you would be good to go for another week of idle sitting -- it took about 5 minutes of riding to warm up and even out good.

But that was an old Yamaha 535cc "V" twin with 2 carbs -- how that all plays out against an in line 4 (with 4 carburetors) still remains to be seen.  Probably have to shoot the ether into the air box on the inside of the air filter element to get it evenly distributed to all the cylinders.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/21/13 at 16:25:56

If thats the way it works out, you may be ahead to drill a hole & run a tube out to where you can get the red straw in it easily, get it running & cap it off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/22/13 at 08:00:32

If the bike has a manual petcock.......my routine is to turn off the petcock and run the engine until it has used the fuel in the carb and the engine stops.  On my Savage with the the Raptor petcock I turn the petcock off about half a mile from my house and ride it home.  My driveway is down hill and it usually stops somewhere on the ride down the drive....then I coast on down to the garage.  If it has not stopped yet I usually just shut it off as I have run most of the fuel out.  On my trials bikes I turn the petcock off and then just idle around the yard practicing my balance until the engine stops.

If your carb has a drain screw and you are not going to ride for a week or two....just drain the carbs when you are done riding.  It is easier than cleaning carbs regularly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 07/23/13 at 06:20:29

Has anybody tried this stuff?
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube/categories/maintenance/21/shop-supply/32...
(scroll down a bit to see the product)
It's awesome. And doesn't dissolve the plastic or rubber parts either.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 07/27/13 at 08:37:41

Well, it looks like I am probably not getting the ZX11.  I've been trying to contact the guy for a week now since the day I was supposed to pick it up.  I've had no response at all from him.  Guess he either decided not to sell or sold it to someone else.

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions and help.  Will let everyone know if he suddenly calls and asks when I am coming to get it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:30:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › ZX11 - opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.