Send Topic Print
rear brake or bearing (Read 83 times)
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rear brake or bearing
07/19/13 at 07:32:28

Igot a strange noise comming from the rear wheel, it sound like an ugly friction. I thing the brake as never been maintenance, but it can be a wheel bearing.
the bike got 21000 miles
any hint or though?

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: rear brake or bearing
Reply #1 - 07/19/13 at 08:46:28

Well,, first thing, neutral, roll it, listen
look at the brake arm, look at the rear hub, apply brakes, see where the pointer goes, I doubt seriously theyre worn out, Thats really rare, Look for a small pebble hanging up somewhere,,
21,000 miles,, If the cam chain has never been serviced, youre in a dangerous position.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/19/13 at 09:31:48

I'm on the waiting list for the cam chain, and i don't use it, the sound is on neutral when i push it.
I will check the brake arm when i apply brake.

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/19/13 at 10:31:18

Drop the back wheel and check the brake shoes. Heat and age can allow the lining to delaminate from the backing. The friction material is just glued on. Riveted linings were superior IF owners paid attention to the condition of the brakes. Let them go long enough and the rivets would invariably destroy the drum itself.

My 98 is on its second or third set of rear shoes. Second set of front pads, I rarely use the front brake...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mtlsir
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/13 at 20:38:18

thanks WD, tomorrow i got time, so i will open the rear brake, i hope it's only the shoes pad!, i've only ride it for 2,000km since i got it and i've done all the small repair one after the other. i never wanted a muti cylinder bike for the less easy mantenance, but on this one, each 2-3 week or so i got something to change and suzuki doesn't have the part in stock and ebay, everything i've bought from there take 1 week to get to my door. So i can ride it barely two week a month in average. i hope it's the last thing for this summer.

1998 sauvage frenchie
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear brake or bearing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.