Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democracy (Read 123 times)
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democracy
07/17/13 at 21:04:33

Even Jimmy Carter is aware.

Ex-President Carter condemned U.S. snooping

The Obama administration tried to placate Europe's anger over spying programs. Not as ex-President Jimmy Carter: The Democrat attacked the U.S. intelligence sharp. The disclosure by whistleblowers Snowden was "useful."

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter criticized in the wake of the NSA spy scandal the American political system. "America has no functioning democracy," Carter said Tuesday at a meeting of the "Atlantic Bridge" in Atlanta.

Previously, the Democrat had been very critical of the practices of U.S. intelligence. "I think the invasion of privacy has gone too far," Carter told CNN. "And I think that is why the secrecy was excessive."

Overlooking the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said Carter, whose revelations were long "likely to be useful because they inform the public."
Carter has repeatedly warned that the United States sharply declined due to excessive restriction of civil rights. Last year he wrote in an article in the "New York Times", new U.S. laws "never before seen breach our privacy by the government".

Carter was the 39th President of the United States, who ruled from 1977 until 1981. During his tenure, he tried to align U.S. foreign policy that is more about human rights - after his retirement from active politics for his humanitarian work, he received the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize.

In Atlanta, he also expressed his overall pessimistic about the global situation. There is currently no reason for him to be optimistic, Carter said, referring to the situation in Egypt, which had fallen into a military dictatorship. He also lamented the growing political divide in the United States, the excessive influence of money in U.S. election campaigns and the confusing American election rules. The ex-president whose "Carter Center" operates worldwide including election monitoring, announced skeptical whether the United States, the standard that applies when reviewing the Center of elections might be fulfilled.

As a bright spot, however, Carter called the triumph of modern technology that would have caused some of the countries of the Arab Spring of democratic progress. Exactly these developments but are endangered by the NSA spy scandal as major U.S. Internet platforms such as Google or Facebook lose credibility worldwide.

Translated from:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/nsa-affaere-jimmy-carter-kritisiert-usa...

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democ
Reply #1 - 07/18/13 at 08:56:34

Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democracy - thanks to people like Jimmy Carter  Grin Grin Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/18/13 at 09:53:20

Dane Allen wrote on 07/18/13 at 08:56:34:
Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democracy - thanks to people like Jimmy Carter  Grin Grin Grin

Right.... it's Carter's fault...

"Asked about an NSA program that tracks people's Internet activity, Bush said, "I put that program in place to protect the country. One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed."

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 07/18/13 at 10:03:58

Serowbot wrote on 07/18/13 at 09:53:20:

"Asked about an NSA program that tracks people's Internet activity, Bush said, "I put that program in place to protect the country. One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed."

Grin Grin Grin The operative word being "like", it's a knock at those who think the Constitution is a living document where rights to privacy and freedom from government intrusion can evolve at the whims of who ever is in power at the moment. It's just funny how full circle this has come around, liberals like to bypass the system for the sake of expediency and then complain when it blows up out of control.

Yes, Bush started the surveilence fiasco but Obama and co have stripped off all the restrictions that were in place and "interpreted" a whole host of new powers there were not originally intended. Thus, the argument for small government  - because this always happens.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 07/18/13 at 10:53:51

Dane Allen wrote on 07/18/13 at 10:03:58:

Grin Grin Grin The operative word being "like", it's a knock at those who think the Constitution is a living document where rights to privacy and freedom from government intrusion can evolve at the whims of who ever is in power at the moment. It's just funny how full circle this has come around, liberals like to bypass the system for the sake of expediency and then complain when it blows up out of control.

Yes, Bush started the surveilence fiasco but Obama and co have stripped off all the restrictions that were in place and "interpreted" a whole host of new powers there were not originally intended. Thus, the argument for small government  - because this always happens.

quoted for TRUTH....

"slippery slope"

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/18/13 at 10:57:29

Pine wrote on 07/18/13 at 10:53:51:

quoted for TRUTH....

"slippery slope"

And its so nice to see all the right wing nuts get united behind the cause ... 6-7 years too late ... much like the TEA baggers did a few years ago ... but still so nice to see ...

I'll bet as soon as Rand Paul or someone gets up there, promptly they will go ... yea yea "NSA security is keepin us safe"

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/18/13 at 10:58:01

Quote:
Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter criticized in the wake of the NSA spy scandal the American political system. "America has no functioning democracy," Carter said Tuesday at a meeting of the "Atlantic Bridge" in Atlanta.

Previously, the Democrat had been very critical of the practices of U.S. intelligence. "I think the invasion of privacy has gone too far," Carter told CNN. "And I think that is why the secrecy was excessive."

Overlooking the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said Carter, whose revelations were long "likely to be useful because they inform the public."
Carter has repeatedly warned that the United States sharply declined due to excessive restriction of civil rights. Last year he wrote in an article in the "New York Times", new U.S. laws "never before seen breach our privacy by the government".

I remember Carter's dismal term as President pretty well, and I never thought I'd agree with him about much of anything, but he's pretty much spot on here.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 07/18/13 at 11:54:25

srinath wrote on 07/18/13 at 10:57:29:

quoted for TRUTH....

"slippery slope"

And its so nice to see all the right wing nuts get united behind the cause ... 6-7 years too late ... much like the TEA baggers did a few years ago ... but still so nice to see ...

I'll bet as soon as Rand Paul or someone gets up there, promptly they will go ... yea yea "NSA security is keepin us safe"

Cool.
Srinath.

Better late than not at all. Where did all the liberal protectors of individual liberty and freedom go, anyway?

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #8 - 07/18/13 at 13:21:38

[quote author=40415A5D52475B330 link=1374120273/0#5 date=1374170249]Pine wrote on 07/18/13 at 10:53:51:

Cool.
Srinath.

I won't let you get away with calling me a bigot. I demand proof or an apology. I won't let up until you do so.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/18/13 at 13:22:06

Dane Allen wrote on 07/18/13 at 11:54:25:

quoted for TRUTH....

"slippery slope"

Cool.
Srinath.

Better late than not at all. Where did all the liberal protectors of individual liberty and freedom go, anyway?

Of course its better late than never ... I guess with bush it was better early than never ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #10 - 07/18/13 at 13:30:13

[quote author=3D3C27202F3A264E0 link=1374120273/0#9 date=1374178926][quote author=65404F44604D4D444F210 link=1374120273/0#7 date=1374173665]srinath wrote on 07/18/13 at 10:57:29:
Of course its better late than never ... I guess with bush it was better early than never ...
Cool.
Srinath.

I won't let you get away with calling me a bigot. I demand proof or an apology. I won't let up until you do so.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/18/13 at 13:39:34

[quote author=685B4E5E555D6D535656535F3A0 link=1374120273/0#10 date=1374179413][quote author=3D3C27202F3A264E0 link=1374120273/0#9 date=1374178926]Dane Allen wrote on 07/18/13 at 11:54:25:
Cool.
Srinath.

Nice of you to ask -

So you reference a slang dictionary to give your insult some kind of legitimacy……  <- Ratdiogwillie

you are defined as a neocon troll that supports the Bu$h Administration's heavily propagandized 9/11 fairytale. <- Ratdogwillie

I am not mentally lazy like you <- Ratdogwillie

I regard you and those that refuse to examine the lame official 9/11 story the same as the Tories of the Revolutionary War era. It is people such as you that allow and give legitimacy to the continuing rape of the Constitution and the advancement of tyranny.  <- Ratdogwillie

Somebody should have long ago pointed out to you, that you come across as a smartazz fourteen year old child that believes he knows it all and blindly wallows in his arrogance's.  <- Ratdogwillie

Here ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/20/13 at 18:58:03

OF course Carter's statement is a folly in and of itself.  This country is not, not has it ever been a democracy.  We are a democratic republic.  There is a difference and it matters that people don't know the difference.  We elect people to represent.  Otherwise we would vote on every single bill and law that is ever presented to be made law.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #13 - 07/20/13 at 19:25:21

Yes this is a democratic republic. We all know that so what's that got to do with the NSA spying on all of us?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/20/13 at 20:35:02

Starlifter wrote on 07/20/13 at 19:25:21:
Yes this is a democratic republic. We all know that so what's that got to do with the NSA spying on all of us?

You would be amazed how many people don't know that.  Secondly if we elected representatives that respected the voters we would likely not have these problems.  But the government no long fears us.  The majority are clueless in how the system works and what their role is in it.  Hell most people don't even know who their senators or representatives are.  That is the point.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 17:52:49

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Jimmy Carter -USA no longer a functional democracy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.