Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Turn Signal on S40 sucks! (Read 160 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Rear Turn Signal on S40 sucks!
07/17/13 at 13:38:58

Didn't pay attention earlier to the rear turn signals on my S40 until few days ago my kid and I were driving/riding around the town. He had problem following me and then I realized the rear turn signals are visible at night only. On bright day I can't see even from few feet distance.

What to do? Can I just change bulbs inside to something brighter, red in color? Or I have to replace them? Or something else?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear Turn Signal on S40 sucks!
Reply #1 - 07/17/13 at 13:42:20

Are you sure you have the stock turn signals and bulbs?  The stock turn signals are DOT approved and when I have been on group rides they seem to be easily seen in the daylight.  I can't say as much for the LED replacement turn signals I have seen....they are not good in daylight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/13 at 14:10:27

My stock turn signals and bulbs are also visible during the day, even when the sun is very bright.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/17/13 at 14:30:42

Check inside,.. you probably have Led bulbs in there...
Get 1156 clear incandescent bulbs...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #4 - 07/17/13 at 14:32:27

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/17/13 at 14:44:39

Definitely not stock... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #6 - 07/17/13 at 14:54:39

Serowbot wrote on 07/17/13 at 14:44:39:

I'm assuming it's simple as take off old ones and put new ones? Nothing "special" to do? No adjustments? Standard holes and cables, right?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 07/17/13 at 20:20:29

Unless your previous owner had to drill larger holes or decided to splice the wires instead of installing proper bullet connectors.

Here's to hoping your PO made it easier for you.   Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/18/13 at 04:51:37

The turns signals on your bike are ones that were built for being flush mount onto fairings or hard luggage cases.  They may even just be clearance lights and not turn signals.  There are an awful lot of turn signals for sale right now that are just not safe to use.

I converted my bike to a Cafe' racer and I am not satisfied with the turn signals I have used. The stock turn signals are very visable and provide great daytime visibilty....they are a bit too big and bulky for a Cafe' raer.

I bought these from Lockhart-Phillips as they had conventional bulbs and I thought they would be bright enough to be seen.  They can be seen in daylight if you are looking at them.....but they are not as bright as the stock ones and in the daytiime they will not get your attention if you are not looking at them.  They use the smaller 23W bulb that is a W97...similoar to an 1156 but a smaller glass portion.  The bulbs are sideways in the housing and there is no reflector.

I thought maybe the LED lights would work better....they are claimed to be bright and I ordered these.  They are not any brighter and much smaller, and cannot be seen any better.  I sent them back as they are not safe to use.

At this point I believe the DOT turns signals are necessary for safety.  The small turns signals that are being sold are not safely seen in the daylight...they are not bright enough to get a distracted drivers attention.  I am going to try and either paint the inside of my current turn signals silver or use some reflective foil to see if that will help.  There are some Halogen 50w bulbs that will fit into the sockets.....I am not sure the electrical system could handle the larger load.  THe stock bulbs are 23 watt....and the 50 watt Halogens are more than twice the stock size.

Bottom line....get some good DOT turn signals with 1156 bulbs oriented with the glass portion facing back....and a big chrome reflector!  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/18/13 at 05:05:03

Afan wrote on 07/17/13 at 14:54:39:
Serowbot wrote on 07/17/13 at 14:44:39:

I'm assuming it's simple as take off old ones and put new ones? Nothing "special" to do? No adjustments? Standard holes and cables, right?

The stock turn signals were held in with screws inserted int the bottom of the side rails.  Replacement turn signals often have threaded shafts and there will be a bit of adaption needed.  The wiring also is hidden in the side rails and you will probably have to take them off to make the electrical connections.

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #10 - 07/18/13 at 05:54:41

Thanks guys. This was really helpful.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 07/18/13 at 06:44:17

I really like the look of the low profile marker lights. I may try to find an incandescent version for my bike.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:32:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Turn Signal on S40 sucks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.