Electrical question: (Read 179 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Electrical question:
07/17/13 at 09:02:10

I am considering the purchase of the Rivco air horn, to replace the wimpy stock horn.
My question is, (and please pardon my ignorance here), the compressor draws 8 amps, but only when the horn is actually sounding. I know there is almost no "extra" amps available from the stator, so will this cause sufficient voltage drop to interfere with the ignition, or just drain the battery for a second or two? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Electrical question:
Reply #1 - 07/17/13 at 09:13:00

The power to run the horn will almost certainly draw some power from the battery.  I have no idea what the rating is for the stock horn.....or how many amps the horn push button or wiring can safely handle.

I would suggest that if you put on a horn with 8 amps draw....you connect the existing horn button to activate a relay....and have the relay send the power from the battery to the horn.

The existing wiring harness puts the 12V power to the horn, then the horn button completes the ground circuit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/17/13 at 09:28:57

The kit includes a relay to protect the switch.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/17/13 at 09:57:08

the stock horn will only scare school girls

and make other motorists laugh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/17/13 at 10:04:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/17/13 at 09:57:08:
the stock horn will only scare school girls

and make other motorists laugh

...an air horn, on the other hand, will startle drivers, and make them look frantically for some large vehicle... (they may well ignore you, or even swerve into you) as they don't expect such a sound to come from a bike...

Overkill,.. can be dangerous...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 07/17/13 at 10:55:19

You guys are kidding about the usefulness of a horn right?  Where I live people can't even hear a ambulance or a fire truck so I know a horn is pretty useless.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/17/13 at 11:14:43

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 07/17/13 at 11:43:02

arteacher wrote on 07/17/13 at 09:02:10:
I am considering the purchase of the Rivco air horn, to replace the wimpy stock horn.
My question is, (and please pardon my ignorance here), the compressor draws 8 amps, but only when the horn is actually sounding. I know there is almost no "extra" amps available from the stator, so will this cause sufficient voltage drop to interfere with the ignition, or just drain the battery for a second or two? Huh

These? http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=3&cat=409&page=1

I looked at the wiring instructions for the horns I think you're talking about. As long as you hook them up using the supplied relay they shouldn't cause any problems IMO. The current they draw will come right out of the battery. Your charging system will replensh it as you ride.

I'm not going to get into the debate about the usefulness of horns on motorcycles except to say that mine gets blowed about once a year - when I take it in to get my inspection sticker  Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/17/13 at 12:01:48

oldNslow wrote on 07/17/13 at 11:43:02:
arteacher wrote on 07/17/13 at 09:02:10:

These? http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=3&cat=409&page=1

I looked at the wiring instructions for the horns I think you're talking about. As long as you hook them up using the supplied relay they shouldn't cause any problems IMO. The current they draw will come right out of the battery. Your charging system will replensh it as you ride.

I'm not going to get into the debate about the usefulness of horns on motorcycles except to say that mine gets blowed about once a year - when I take it in to get my inspection sticker  Smiley

Thanks oldNslow. That is the horn I was looking at. And your answer agrees with my thinking. I agree that the horn is not used very much, but when you need it you may as well be heard.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/17/13 at 12:09:07

I find it confusing to hear an "18 wheeler" horn & look & not see one.
A louder horn is a reasonable thing, IMO, but louder than a good car horn seems possibly counter productive. YOu blow something that sounds like an 18 wheeler, the people who havent seen you will be looking for,, what? They may scan right past you, looking for that big truck,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 07/17/13 at 12:46:46

Air horns on passenger cars and trucks are illigal in Tennessee. I asume they are also on motorcycles. A few years ago a guy I worked with had one on his pick-up truck. He made the mistake of blowing it in front of a cop. He got a ticket and went to court and they made him remove it.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #11 - 07/17/13 at 13:39:15

arteacher I have to take my hat off to ya. you have thrown some serious $$$ at your Savage. good for you.
Good to know i'm not alone.  Smiley
Go for it and put that horn on.  Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 07/17/13 at 14:44:28

youzguyz wrote on 07/17/13 at 11:14:43:

These horns will require a relay as well.  The several amps they need are too much for the skinny wiring and dinky horn switch on a Savage.  While the horn or horns might work, they will be a lot louder with a relay, and the horn switch won't burn out from the arcing.

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/17/13 at 12:46:46:
Air horns on passenger cars and trucks are illigal in Tennessee. I asume they are also on motorcycles. A few years ago a guy I worked with had one on his pick-up truck. He made the mistake of blowing it in front of a cop. He got a ticket and went to court and they made him remove it.

The Tennessee law is for tank-driven horns that exceed a certain DB level,.. I don't know what that level is, but the little 12v compressor-driven 8" horns you buy at Autozone are not affected,.. they are legal.  Lots of luxury cars and/or expensive sporty cars come with horns louder than these.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/13 at 12:09:07:
I find it confusing to hear an "18 wheeler" horn & look & not see one.
A louder horn is a reasonable thing, IMO, but louder than a good car horn seems possibly counter productive. YOu blow something that sounds like an 18 wheeler, the people who havent seen you will be looking for,, what? They may scan right past you, looking for that big truck,

The little compressor-driven air horns bought at Autozone sound nothing like an 18-wheeler.  The size of those midget trumpets (8" or so) means they have a very high-pitched noise,... nothing like the 24" trumpets on a huge truck.  You'll not be confused with an 18-wheeler if you install a 12v compressor driven Autozone 8" plastic horn.

Since it is a lot louder than the pathetic stock horn (meep meep), it will go BEEP BEEP

The 18 wheeler horn will go HONNNKKK!!  HONNNKKK!!!

« Last Edit: 07/18/13 at 05:32:36 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/17/13 at 15:32:33

Gyrobob wrote on 07/17/13 at 14:44:28:

These horns will require a relay as well.  The several amps they need are too much for the skinny wiring and dinky horn switch on a Savage.  While the horn or horns might work, they will be a lot louder with a relay, and the horn switch won't burn out from the arcing.

Really?  I didn't see an amp figure on them.  All I know is I've been running them for years, with no ill effects.  Then again, I don't lean on the horn much..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 07/17/13 at 19:42:51

youzguyz wrote on 07/17/13 at 15:32:33:
Gyrobob wrote on 07/17/13 at 14:44:28:

Really?  I didn't see an amp figure on them.  All I know is I've been running them for years, with no ill effects.  Then again, I don't lean on the horn much..

If you are like most of us, you have probably used those horns just 10 times in those years.  Add a relay (so the 12v for the horns comes directly from the battery, and with thicker wires) and those horns will be louder.  If you just replaced the sickly stock meep meep horn with those larger horns (using the stock switch and wiring), you are getting maybe 10 volts at the horns.  Use a relay, and you'll get a few more volts.

« Last Edit: 07/18/13 at 05:29:28 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical question:

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.