Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lost all power tonight from a broken battery cable (Read 117 times)
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Lost all power tonight from a broken battery cable
07/11/13 at 23:39:55

Positive cable snapped right off at the cable end. Never saw that before. Of course I was on a country road a few miles away from civilization at the time - my luck.  I figured it out right away but I had removed the tool kit and didn't have what I needed handy. Had a friend bring me some heavy gauge wire to splice just to get me home.

Anyone ever had that happen? I have an '05 S40 with just over 3k on it so the battery must have been jostling around for a while for the cable end to break. I did put a trickle charger on it recently. I'm going to put together a new cable and try to get the battery stable. Have any suggestions that you've tried?

Thanks

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Lost all power tonight from a broken battery c
Reply #1 - 07/12/13 at 00:10:31

Could be just bad luck...
...but, I have noticed... cables do get brittle when they are shorted...
I don't know the chemistry involved...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/12/13 at 09:17:02

The oem battery is a pretty snug fit in the battery box if everything is still stock. Shouldn't move much at all. If yours is bouncing around then yeah, you need to stuff something(packing foam maybe) in there to keep it still. Sounds like maybe you have a replacement battery that's too small for the box.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/12/13 at 09:37:08

Ive got a battery for the W-650 in my 4 wheeler. No way is it a "fit", but, some cut to fit bits of foam rubber, it sits in place & is probably " happier" than the stock battery would be. it doesnt get quite the harsh direction changing, jouncing & bouncing. but you dont want a battery sitting where it has room to bounce around. that will create very harsh direction changes. not good for their little guts,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #4 - 07/12/13 at 12:48:28

Thanks all. It is definitely an aftermarket battery, not very snug. Appreciate the feedback. Digging around I found some garden host to cut and fit. Snug as a bug.

Now, I need to get bags so I can store some decent tools.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/12/13 at 16:30:14

tool kit needs can be put in a pretty small bag. i think serobot has a bag low, by the motor, there are bags to hang under the headlite. get yer bags, yea, but theyre for hardware store or grocery runs,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #6 - 07/13/13 at 18:45:27

Good to know. I was planning to use the bags for tools. I now have the original tool-kit and managed to squeeze it in the small side tool box. I had it out because the bag was bigger than the opening. Those items seem sufficient when I add a knife, piece of wire and some electrical tape.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/13/13 at 21:43:56

Mite wanna swap good tools for their cheezy stuff,,

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #8 - 07/14/13 at 04:57:28

i got a small stanley 1/4 inch socket set that fits nicely in my handlebar bag, sad part is that my ex gf  that wouldnt let me buy a bike bought it for me for xmas a few years back.  I think she got it at walmart, but im not gonna ask  Wink If only she could see where it is now  Grin theyre pretty cheap, but very good quality tools, i think she paid like $20 for it, and it has helped my friends Vmax on a roadside fix once.  People laugh as to why I carry tools, and this is the exact reason why i do.  you never know when you or someone else may need them Smiley

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #9 - 07/14/13 at 08:22:28

I have used my tools once on my bike and they have used many more times on someone else’s bike.  Upgrading the tools and combining as many functions as possible helped me in getting the tools I thought I needed into the space I had.  Small tool pouch that is below the head light, but I am looking for a better location.  

As for the battery, you do not want it moving around or getting jarred and a regular basis. Two days ago on our rescue truck (Ford F550) in the fire department, I turned the key on to start the truck and waited a few seconds listening to the radio and when I hit the start the passenger side battery exploded (raising the hood about two inches and almost filling my pants) and the driver’s side battery ruptured.  I have never had or seen that happen before on starting anyway, it was attributed to the plates being banged around inside the battery (this truck has seen a hard life) and two plates finally getting close enough to short / arc together during that start sequence, igniting the hydrogen on top of the battery.  The batteries were only one year old no maintenance type when they failed.  Had the hood not been closed there would have been battery acid everywhere and a very dicey situation would have occurred for anyone around the truck at the time.  I hate to think of that happening on my bike, my body parts close to the battery are bad enough, but the acid all over the back of the engine and under the seat would be a major pain to clean, inspect, and repair. :'(

Whole new respect for batteries and hydrogen after that little episode.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/14/13 at 08:37:38

if youve never seen one explode, keep it that way. ive seen 2, not funny

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #11 - 07/14/13 at 08:48:36

This is the first I have seen explode on starting, I have seen and heard of them coming apart during jumping batteries or on a charger.  We have a battery maintainer on the truck that supposedly conditions the batteries continuously, I am thinking that it causes the water to go away over time and that is where we got the hydrogen build up.  As for the plates shorting / arcing the battery was way to damaged to tell if that was the case or not.  I am still looking for possible scenarios for the battery exploding on start up.  Got any ideas ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/14/13 at 08:59:39

The first one I saw explaode was probably my fault. Was a welder mounted on the back 1/2 pickup frame trailer,, no real ho9ld down for the battery included. I made one out of seat belt & tightened too tite, bowed it a hair, after a coupla months, it just blew up, no start, no move, nothing, just sitting, sounded like a shotgun,

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #13 - 07/14/13 at 09:11:14

Wow just sitting there that is stranger than mine.  I just am not sure what happened with this one and will probably never know for sure how and why it departed the living.  I do know that I do not want to be around another one exploding.  That could have been a real issue had the hood been up and doing maintenance of the truck when it happened.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/14/13 at 09:14:37

You gotta hose everything under there with something,, talk about rust!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:33:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost all power tonight from a broken battery cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.